Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

petrol make a diffrence ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:50 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: petrol make a diffrence ? Reply with quote

on the smaller bikes would the grade of petrol make a difference ?
to speed ?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:51 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking octane rating - extremely unlikely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:12 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher octane might decrease your top speed a little on a 4T 125.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:12 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would need to be a high compression engine to even make use of the higher octane rating (reduces knock at high compression) and would either need to be tuned to use said higher rating fuel if old school carb'd, or could possibly retune itself if injection, as long as it has some sort of knock sensor and the ability to change the fueling/timing based on the output of said knock sensor

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:25 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding the gsx s 125 a lot slower than my old cb125f
I was told it could do 80 .. and taking it easy it just seems to hit 60
now the cb125f could sit at 65-70 all day ..
just seems strange a £3200 bike can't match it
and yes I know it's still wearing in but with 300 miles on it I'd of thought it was most of the way there ?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:25 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: petrol make a diffrence ? Reply with quote

flearider wrote:
to speed ?

The price difference on a tankful on a small bike is minimal. Why not just try it?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:47 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitting 80 on any 4t 125 won't be done by taking it easy - try not taking it easy and see if it'll show you 80 on the speedo that way.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go out on a limb and suggest that keeping your chain clean and well lubed will get you more to end mph than using premium fuel. And we're only talking 2 or 3 mph as well. These are tiny figures. If there was a cheap, easy and legal way of getting more speed out of 4t 125s (L legal) then everyone would have done it by now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
I'd go out on a limb and suggest that keeping your chain clean and well lubed will get you more to end mph than using premium fuel. And we're only talking 2 or 3 mph as well. These are tiny figures. If there was a cheap, easy and legal way of getting more speed out of 4t 125s (L legal) then everyone would have done it by now.

but the maths don't add up ?
cb125f 10hhp heavy
gsxs125 14.9bhp not so heavy ..
and like you said prob asking to much. time to save for full licence

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

flearider wrote:
I was told it could do 80 ..

MCN road test claimed a top speed of a mere 66mph.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:08 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

flearider wrote:
I was told it could do 80 .. and taking it easy it just seems to hit 60
now the cb125f could sit at 65-70 all day ..
just seems strange a £3200 bike can't match it
and yes I know it's still wearing in but with 300 miles on it I'd of thought it was most of the way there ?

I wouldn't be trying to hit 80 on a 300 mile 125. It won't be anywhere near run in.

The other thing to bear in mind is how inaccurate the speedos are. Most of them are optimistic and some of them are laughably optimistic. The cb125f has only 10.4 bhp @7750RPM which is less than the CG125. NO WAY did it really get to 70 on the flat whatever it said on teh clock. It would have to be running down a steep hill with the Devil behind it and it certainly wasn't cruising at that speed. It's just physics mate. Can't be done.

I wouldn't be ragging that new engine until it has a thousand miles on it. It cost you a lot of money; take it easy until it is ready. New engines are noticeably tight and are like a different machine when they free up after proper running in. If they aren't tight when they are new they will be a like a can of nails when they have ten thousand miles on them.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kids on the 125 FB groups all claim their bikes go faster on SUL, so it must be true!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:10 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISTR that the running in advice on my brand new 125, nearly 30 years ago was, to keep it under 40mph for the first 100 miles, then up the revs 1000rpm for every extra 100miles, or something like that.
Basically I don't think it got to 60 until it's first service!!!

80mph? On a 4T-125? Err... yers... 'indicated'... perhaps.

Thunk for you... the 1977 CB125Twin, at 17bhp.. two and a half braying donkeys more than max permitted for A1-Licence regs, was probably THE most powerful four-stroke 'production' 125 ever made.. it could just about nudge 80, through two-way times traps; the 'aerodynamics' offered by the fancy party frock on a GSXR-125, might help a tad... but are probably off-set some by the drag of the fat tyres!

Either way, 80mph is pretty optimistic for a four-stroke-single-125....ESPECIALLY one that hasn't merely NOT been run in yet, but hasn't even clocked half the run in mileage!

And you are ragging the crap out of it, trying to find out whether the mag-propaganda holds up? Shocked

Before its first first frigging oil-change Shocked Shocked

And you are wondering if Super-Unleaded would make a difference to regular? Shocked Shocked Shocked

The mind just boggles.

And that's before it strays to ponder, this is at least the chaps 2nd 125.. and about the most expensive one on the market... WHY!?!

If 'fast', or even 'cool' is the imperative here; why no tests, licence and a bigger bike?!? I mean, if under 19 and stuck on A1 'cos of modern licence regs... how long until A2 could be done, and something like an SV650 could be bought, PROBABLY for, oooh.... less than the new-bike depreciation rolling GSXR-125 out the blinkin show-room! And NO bike looks 'cool' with an L-Plate to belie the fact its just NOT a 600 or anything but what it is; a little commuter bike in a party frock! If over 19 and A2 and a big bike a possibility? WHY even go there at all!!!

But hey... not my money... actually probably not OP's either.... likely banks, finance companies or Daddies... so who cares.... well... until the bill to replace the fancy fairings or rebuild the motor comes in... carry on.. its a learner-bike... one way of t'other, you gonna learn... maybe.. we can hope!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:20 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing about improving the rider? No revving out in every gear? Eh?

The perils of daytime drinking and falling asleep at the keyboard.

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok that's me up to date .. thx you all for your input
yes I think it will take 6 months for me to get full licence (well the money to)
so will be taking care of what I have
thx again

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:40 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

flearider wrote:
yes I think it will take 6 months for me to get full licence (well the money to)

£3,799 OTR... you can afford THAT, but you can't afford, oooh! £120 for theory/mod1/mod2 on this or even your 'old' CB125F... how the heck you going to afford to put petrol in it!!!

Yet you CAN afford wheel it out the dealer depreciation, that amounts probably to as much as a DAS course and likely a lot towards a second hand big bike, T&T'd and ready to go?!?

There is some weird and perverse accountancy being applied here!

IF you can afford a bike.. ANY bludy bike, you can afford to get a full licence... end of.

Buying one of the most expensive learner bikes on the market, brand new, and then grumbling you 'cant afford'.. is just incredible.

But hey, its a learner bike... it might teach you a few things.... we can only hope.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/rXdJ78p.jpg

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Nothing about improving the rider? No revving out in every gear? Eh?

Ahem

c_dug wrote:
Hitting 80 on any 4t 125 won't be done by taking it easy - try not taking it easy and see if it'll show you 80 on the speedo that way.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filling it with SUL and wondering if it will go faster smacks of desperation IMO and possibly a regretted purchase. Im no GSX 125 fanboi, but I'd also be running it in more carefully and with a couple of oil changes under its belt before trying for a top speed run.

Are you serious about wanting to tune this bike or are you desperately looking for something that isn't there, or trying to deny a poorly considered bike choice? If you are serious about tuning it then how much are you prepared to spend £1000, 2000? more?

I've got a 125 among my bikes that Im wasting money on tuning, and I don't even want it to go any faster. Im doing it for bloody mindedness and I've spent over £1000 just on parts so far, and I've still got the work and fitting to do, plus set up and dyno time. Im also fully prepared for regular engine re-builds, are you?

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: petrol make a diffrence ? Reply with quote

flearider wrote:
to speed ?

simple answer - NO

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the manual, it should tell you that you’re due a service after 600 miles / 1000km. It’s basically just a check over, but it will most likely be running on mineral oil from new, which is apparently not as good as synthetic due to natural inconsistencies.

https://rideapart.com/articles/how-to-break-in-a-new-motorcycle-engine

Have a read of that and report back in 1000 miles time. If the actual top speed is 66mph, it could well show 75-80 on the clock once it’s run in.

Unfortunately, 15bhp is all you can have right now so if you feel like it’s not enough, just treat it as a training period until you can get through your test. If money is the main obstacle for you though, perhaps buying brand new wasn’t the best idea. If you are having second thoughts, you should be able to return it within 30 days, although as it was new and has therefore lost significant value I don’t know how this would go.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:50 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try running your bike on super unleaded expensive petrol and see how much faster it goes.

Wink

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesnt make it go faster, but it will stop all the ethanol crap bunging your carbs/ FI system up. I always put super unleaded in mine because I can and its better for the engine.

OGR

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:23 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to bike speedos being for novelty purposes only.

tony1951 wrote:
I wouldn't be trying to hit 80 on a 300 mile 125. It won't be anywhere near run in.

Counter-suggestion: he ran it in gently according to the manual, and now it'll never perform as well as it could.

We haven't had a pointless slap fight over https://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm for a while.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:37 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the GSXR125 in the flesh and I have to say, I like it. I'm a bit bias but if I were 16,17, 18 or even 19 and someone said to me give us £60 a month and you can have this bike I would probably have done the same because shiny ruled my head when I was that young along with a few other things that can't be talked about on this family forum.

Only 6 months down the line do you realise I'd actually be paying it for the next 5 years when I'm in my 20's and would most probably not want to be on a 125.

When I was 18 I took a £2500 loan out. Bought an RD125LC (yup.. that long ago) it wasn't new by any means but it was a hell of a bike.

A week after I got the loan I was made redundant. Took me 7 years to pay that loan back. The bike was scrapped 8 months after I had it. Regrets. yup... Something to tell the grand kids though.
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 283 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2