Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CONSULTATION: Prohibition of private ownership of stabbers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:29 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: CONSULTATION: Prohibition of private ownership of stabbers Reply with quote

The rubber stamp is swinging, so get your objections in while they still count (nobody laugh).

https://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2018/june/have-your-say-on-the-offensive-weapons-bill/

Will ban:
Arrow Acid attacks. Totes not allowed now.
Arrow Delivery of any "bladed article" to residential addresses. Yes, really. Yes, hobby and craft knives too. Yes, even knives that are perfectly legal to own or even possess in public.
Arrow Ownership of .50 caliber shooters, because, you know, one day someone might use one for badcrime.
Arrow Private ownership of "certain offensive weapons", currently (but subject to additions in the future):

Arrow butterfly knives (also known as ‘balisongs’): these have a blade hidden inside a handle that splits in the middle
Arrow disguised knives: where a blade or sharp point is hidden inside what looks like everyday objects such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick
Arrow flick knives (also known as ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’): blades hidden inside a handle which shoots out when a button is pressed
Arrow gravity knives
Arrow stealth knives, which are knives or spikes not made from metal (except when used at home, for food or a toy)
Arrow zombie knives: a knife with a cutting edge, a serrated edge and images or words suggesting it is used for violence
Arrow swords, including samurai swords: a curved blade over 50 centimetres (with some exceptions, such as antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
Arrow sword-sticks: a hollow walking stick or cane containing a blade
Arrow push daggers
Arrow blowpipes (sometimes known as ‘blow guns’)
Arrow telescopic truncheons: these extend automatically by pressing button or spring in the handle
Arrow batons: straight, side-handled or friction-lock truncheons
Arrow hollow kubotans: a cylinder-shaped keychain holding spikes
Arrow shurikens (also known as ‘shaken’, ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
Arrow kusari-gama: a sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire
Arrow kyoketsu-shoge: a hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire
Arrow kusari (or ‘manrikigusari’): a weight attached to a rope, cord, wire
Arrow hand or foot-claws
Arrow knuckledusters

That means that if you have one of those in your own home, regardless of how you got it, or how long you've had it, you are a terrorist.

Blowpipes are hollow tubes, right? :And a "straight baton" is... a stick. Eh?

Get in, or don't baww when they come for your straws.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 08:44 - 10 Jul 2018; edited 1 time in total

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best start panic buying ready to make a mint for the Prohibition era. Dance!

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:44 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Typical knee-jerk poorly thought out proposal which unfortunately doesn't go far enough.

To properly protect us from ourselves they must ban all knives of any sort, anything solid and longer than six inches long and thin enough to be held in one hand, and anything that uses acid of any sort.

I'll write them and let them know they need to ban cutlery, trees that have branches, and car batteries too Thumbs Up

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Rog. Thumbs Up
It'll only take 15 minutes to write a worthwhile email.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:54 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Best start panic buying ready to make a mint for the Prohibition era. Dance!

It's already unlegal to sell, import or manufacture all of the weapons on that list (with certain exceptions).

Hollow sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will never... actually, words are a weapon too now.

One of the early response to these proposals is that mayhem minded Diversities will continue to source their stabbers from the kitchen drawer, or simply walk into Poundland Tesco Metro and shoplift anything they like.

We could maybe focus on policing that, rather than monitoring Facebook for anyone typing "Diversity" with their gammon sausage fingers. But as it turns out, it's easier and better PR to just pass more laws than to enforce the ones we've already got.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 09:03 - 10 Jul 2018; edited 1 time in total

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:59 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: CONSULTATION: Prohibition of private ownership of stabbe Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Arrow Delivery of any "bladed article" to residential addresses. Yes, really. Yes, hobby and craft knives too. Yes, even knives that are perfectly legal to own or even possess in public.

What? No more shaving club?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:28 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are going to respond to this - they want it in a Word (doc, docx, rtf, txt ooxml or odt format, not PDF) format.

I'd guess that sending it simply as an email will be used as grounds to ignore what you've written.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:04 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
sending it [...] will be used as grounds to ignore what you've written.

EFA.

I followed the "samurai swords" addition to the list of prohibited weapons through the committee stages. It was an absolute farce. All of the reasonable objections about vagueness and punishing the law abiding for no real benefit were actually aired. David Davies (Taffy Tory, not Quitter Davis) spoke up against it, saying that he'd not heard of a single incident of a "samurai sword" being used as a weapon while serving as a special copper, and challenged the whole premise of the prohibition.

None of it made a damn bit of difference. The Sun Sez that chavs were buying them off of eBay and running rampant, so "samurai swords" got banned. In practice, this means that tat sellers switched to straight bladed "ninja swords" overnight, while historical falchions, sabres, cutlasses and such all got caught up in the ban.

But it's fun venting your spleen at our masters now and again, so enjoy the process. I'd suggest being polite, reasonable and constructive, but honestly I don't think it'll matter a jot either way.

Big Jock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:16 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the problem with anything on that list.
All manufactured as weapons and as such no need for owning them.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on a sec...
It's all very well banning items that people can use for violence, but what about all those movies that show and encourage their use in the first place? If it's more violent than "The Good Life", I think those should all be banned too...and I'm not certain about Richard Briers either.

Oh, and not forgetting the spate of incidents of various nutters attacking crowds with vans and lorries. Need to come up with a new, safe transportation system, cos those'll all have to be banned.

Just goes to show we don't need the EU to impose ridiculous rulings on us, we're quite capable of coming up with our own.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:54 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
If it's more violent than "The Good Life"

Spades and garden forks are more lethal than most of the weapons on that list.

Nobody needs a scythe these days.

DIY is an existential threat to society. Limit hammers to licensed professionals only. No spanners over 13mm in private hands.

Laugh now, but that slippery slope goes a long, long way down.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
If it's more violent than "The Good Life"

Spades and garden forks are more lethal than most of the weapons on that list.

DIY is an existential threat to society. Limit hammers to licensed professionals only. No spanners over 13mm in private hands.

Laugh now, but that slippery slope goes a long, long way down.

I'm not laughing, I'm somewhat relieved.
DIY = Don't Involve Yourself - hobby of deviants.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:41 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is such a cretinous reaction. I can't comprehend how politicians/lawmakers can be so thick.

It's like giving driving bans to people driving uninsured/unlicensed. They already hold the existing rules in contempt, whats the point in adding more that literally will only affect the law abiding.

I'm sure anyone who is out looking to stab someone will really pay attention to this new rule.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all very silly - get caught with one of these in public now and it is an offensive weapon, so why waste time 'banning' something that is already controlled? Scumbags will still carry knives etc irrespective of legislation...

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so the Govt can post slogans such as "Getting tough on knife crime" without actually doing much

chris-red wrote:
I'm sure anyone who is out looking to stab someone will really pay attention to this new rule.

So you don't see it playing out something like this?

Dindu1: "Yo, dat Lyndon has been dissin ma cuz again innit"

Dindu2: "So what you gonna do blud?"

Dindu1: "Gonna stab im up innit"

Dindu2: "But knives is illegal now innit!

Dindu1: "Damn, fo real? Fancy volunteering for some charity work instead then?"

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This law is already in place, and this law will be just like the last one with exemptions for buying kitchen knives, carrying for work etc. It's all for show, just like Theresa's Brexit plan to remain in.

As for submitting evidence, they don't care what plebs think. What are you going to do about it? Nothing. They will shoot you.

Remain or die
https://aboutmanchester.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/IMG_0536.jpg

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably there's a suffoction danger when this item on the list clamps its thighs down on your head?
https://climbingdojo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ArticleImageHandler.jpg

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I used one a couple of years ago. The grass was way too long for the mower and the brush cutter wasn't playing ball. It was strangely satisfying, although slower than the brush cutter.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Jock wrote:

Oh really, the double edge razor blades I order off ebay were manufactured as weapons. I never knew that.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I used one a couple of years ago....It was strangely satisfying

Shocked
They're right! Ban them!

If they're not designed to be lethal, how come Death himself carries one? Eh? You know it makes sense.

Big Jock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:18 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Big Jock wrote:

Oh really, the double edge razor blades I order off ebay were manufactured as weapons. I never knew that.

Looks to me like the ban or restriction on delivery is only to those under 18 so again, I see no problem

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:27 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knives for juggling will still be legal?

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:53 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick look through the bill raised the question of compensation for items and the difference in it being given for the English but giving the option of the Scottish to be denied it.
This was the case when airguns were licensed in Scotland and many people were deprived of the value of their property.

Big Jock wrote:

Looks to me like the ban or restriction on delivery is only to those under 18 so again, I see no problem

No problems for who? The over 18s will still run around stabbing people with their minions while everyone else gets screwed with this stupid law which attacks more mail functions* and forces more ID requirements based purely on state muppetry.

A lot of weapons in the list include obscure items from feudal Japan which can and have been creatively interpreted by the judiciary**

* mail companies have a history of screwing around their customers to make cheaper, easier work for themselves.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/how-to-send-a-zippo-back-for-repair.18793630/

** https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8510881.stm

Last edited by Jmoan on 18:47 - 18 Jul 2018; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
It's so the Govt can post slogans such as "Getting tough on knife crime" without actually doing much.

Thumbs Up
Classic Sajid Javid.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2