Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Float bowl hard to shift - tips?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Float bowl hard to shift - tips? Reply with quote

Trying to clean the carbs on a long-standing GT250A.. float bowl screws came out OK and also the drain screw BUT the bowls themselves are stuck fast. Been tapping them (cautiously) with the butt end of a hammer but nowt. was thinking of trying to lever off by inserting something in the threaded drain hole but that also gives me the jitters in case I crack something.

Any tips out there?

Ta

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:46 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crack it with the metal end of the hammer, the sharp tap with that would be more effective than the duller one with wooden end.

Failing that I'd put the bowl into a vice with wooden jaws and wiggle.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:22 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check the float-bowl attachment before anything.

The Amal on the Cota, has the usual four-screws in the corners of the float-bowl, but its also held on by a central brass screw through the bottom of the bowl around the main-jet; I suspect many older carbs may have similar arrangements.

Then I would be loath to apply gross persuasion to a float-bowl, especially an old one; often high-zink monkey metal, risk of cracking it would be high; and replacement parts likely unobtanium.....

I'd try and crack the gasket seal by twisting as a start; then pondering thermal shock... and considering the prudence of putting a blow-lamp on something that contained petrol.... or low melting point zink alloy! and wondering about whether a hair-dryer might be a little more 'gentle', then popping in the fridge and dropping into a bucket of kettle-hot.

THEN.. after lots of faff... ~I would probably resort... tentatively to some gross force.....

Or like that stubborn jar in the kitchen... asking ham-fisted Snowie to have a go....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubber gasket will have vulcanised the bowl to the carb body. Violence is golden.

But as Tefers eloquently suggests, thermal attack.

Pour a kettle of hot water over them. It may soften the rubber and allow you to move them a bit.

I wouldn't hit them anymore. There no control of the force you put on them. Breaking will ensue. And you'll be on here asking some advice to weld pot-metal 😂
The secret is patience and time.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps. will try a combinational approach I think..

Kettle of water followed by clamping into my work-mate (err Black and Decker kind) and a wiggle..

UPDATE - That did the trick - thanks for all the suggestions.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Uuurghh.. Reply with quote

About 1/8" of sludge in the bottom of the bowl on this one - oh goody.
Not seen that float arrangement before either (two independent floats sliding on pillars Confused) any advantages/disadvantages I wonder..

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xP5LXa9aacCgKjVjSMMRdWUAG3Je87dgdwDqDC73zjcP_xLAKRQLkm_3xjS4s_at0tinEvPGIwr9cQMX34zB1DKoMVkP5KrPkLbX_Ed3keduMhyLmrecOfei29WnJE45VN4MSB2XO1tDdw2hlBWX7Fy0Bf8s4XUTHaNqQXkL3oYfVnAboD-pTj89TlVgLD94icCxlvd4sID2tUOTvc6JkgEzmnl1gcazokIujkijbssyBANvqddASAT3sPuXsQl5hN4EpPPpG-x39oicEj2KRq0S17UAZyBgTragVpkcWUeE1y8CKs1q-BcBUuJDY0Kyj2a0muYeY2qwsrYvUjXxCEM6Xqo59LnaApu_zWfS_PDnqfvaV7BvfGIogqQ5s6wl4jpnUJdpCaQ20rK74T7RBPvmjcHpXzh1iN7NJL6rnwiLNiTAhUdVi56dkc4S28Hzoq0wpB2NMB2TvfRUgWuOwsLbk_qyKSR9HUfMJWB608MKKkLuNS9j5a96aj4Tf1zphtbUtYd5KjksJWPYvM32OtX6Fd_2ohxpddUi4tvF4dvW08juzxmqAjlTiPaLSjU14_TE_05X5ab1u2p1EHjxSpII7RokQ9ZgTtCTjTU=w731-h974-no

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at your carbeurettor bowl pic this morning. Eurgh! Now I come to look again, and I can't see it (I get a monochrome "no entry" sign).

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I looked at your carbeurettor bowl pic this morning. Eurgh! Now I come to look again, and I can't see it (I get a monochrome "no entry" sign).

That's happened before on a different forum - some google photos sharing nonsense I think - still visible to me so thanks for letting me know..

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1