Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2014 CBF125 Handlebars Bent

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ErebusGuy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:46 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: 2014 CBF125 Handlebars Bent Reply with quote

Hi Guys and Girls, I've recently bought a 2014 CBF125 the only flaw with the bike (apart from a few minor scratches) is that the handlebars are bent from the bike being dropped by the previous owner.

I have searched for some replacements and came across These on Ebay. I'm not sure if they will be a good replacement, has anyone fitted these to their bike and how well do they work?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend me a replacement that is cheaper than going to the main dealer?

Many thanks

merquis00
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they are the same diameter and have space for your switchgear and grips then they will fit Thumbs Up

just remember, if your bike has securing pins in the switches, you'll probably need to drill holes for them on the new bars

cheaper ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HANDLEBARS-SUITABLE-FOR-HONDA-CBF-125-2014/272581288205?hash=item3f771c610d:g:YMwAAOSwax5Yv0Oz

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: 2014 CBF125 Handlebars Bent Reply with quote

ErebusGuy wrote:
I have searched for some replacements and came across These on Ebay.

More on eBayt?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-HONDA-CBF125-NEW-HANDLE-BAR-NOT-A-COPY-with-barend-threads-ORIGIONAL/282810209003?hash=item41d8cd52eb:g:cOgAAOSwbWZaXKky

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-HONDA-CBF125-NEW-HANDLE-BAR-NOT-A-COPY-No-Bar-end-threads/282816472218?hash=item41d92ce49a:g:epYAAOSwTEJZ~b8P

Edit: The above are said to be "genuine Honda".

Last edited by Riejufixing on 13:42 - 12 Jul 2018; edited 1 time in total

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bent how much? Tubular bars are so easy to bend (back straight) you'll wonder why you ever worried about it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:34 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to the above. Bars are just a bent tube. Same diameter, same geometry = they'll fit.

Or shove a length of solid bar into the bent end of your bars and lever them back into shape. You may even be able to do it by clamping the bent end onto your yoke and Hulking them back into shape.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:29 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most handlebars are a standard 7/8 inch or 22mm diameter.

Hence most bikes, that have one-piece handle-bars, have a clamp that diameter on the top-yoke to fit them, and grips and levers and switches etc that are bolted to them are made for a bar that diameter.

Its a standard.

Beyond that, the actual pipe can be straight from end to end; or it can be bent to pull the handle ends back, or up, or set them higher or lower than the yoke the bars bolted to. eg:-
https://www.chapmoto.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Biltwell-Apes-300x216.jpg
And has been mentioned; most Original-Fit handlebars have holes in them to accept lugs on the switches or lever clamps to locate them, which most after-market replacements wont, needing to be drilled or filed or cut to suit.

So, when sourcing replacement handlebars; if you went to Honda dealers, according to CMSL the part number is (probably!) 53100KWF950ZA and they cost 50Euro... pays your money, and what you get is guaranteed to be the same shape and size and pre-drilled for your switches and stuff as what they fitted at the factory.

IF you want to buy off e-bay... you probably wont get anything much cheaper or more quickly, TBH, but you'll likely have to hunt hard to but something 'close' to the OEM bars as far as the width, height, pull-back, dimenstions etc, and you'll have to get a bit handy with the hack-saw and drill and file to fettle them to suit switches and grips and bar ends etc.

Ask the seller "Will these fit a 2014 CBF125... they can legitimately say 'Yes' to almost any 7/8th bar... cos it will 'fit'... whether it would be comfortable, whether you could stretch wiring or cables to where the handles end up, is a very different matter! 'Fits' is NOT the same as 'Like Standard'. Be warned.

Straighten or Replace?

Bars.. if not too badly bent, can usually be straightened.

Not directly applicable to you, as I believe that the CBF bars are more usual steel bars; but some are made of aluminium, which doesn't like being bent or straightened and will crack if you try, or worse, fatigue so they crack later. This is probably not much of an issue on a road-bike, but on a competition bike like a moto-crosser or competition trials bike, it can be.... believe me, number of times I have bent the bars on mine!!! So oft not worth trying to straighten them, or trying to save pennies buying or using second hand competition bars. Take note, link you offered for 'Renthals' though made popular on road-bikes by Street-Fighter cult of the '90's when MX bars were oft fitted to crashed sports-bikes, Ranthals are more usually competition bars for MX bikes.

Back to pipe bending... if a plumber wants to bend a bit of pipe to plumb in a radiator, they will use a bender; has a couple of wheels around which the bar is bent to get a nice radius bend, and they usually have a spring that goes inside the pipe to stop the pipe collapsing or kinking when they do it.... This is not a lot different to making a pair of handlebars.

When trying to straighten a pair of 'crash or drop damaged' bars then.. you are starting with something already bent... and possibly kinked or collapsed.. and trying to bend it back? Well, when made the OE bars were probably formed on a Jig to get the bends exactly where wanted and both ends pointing in the right direction.....

With a pair of bashed bars; stick a wolloping bit of scaffold pole on the end... and start wamping on it.... y-e-r-s bin there, dun dat.. FAR too often!!.... First... you are more likely to wack the forks against the opposite steering lock and then push bike over, before you achieve any bending on the bars.... CAN be fun if you get a 'mate' to try hanging on the other end of the bars to the one you have the scaffold pole on... but you might not be freinds for long! But, you can do a lot more damage trying to straighten a pair of bars than was done to them to start with... you need to be a BIT careful and savvy about the job..... A-N-D it only really works if the bars aren't far bent or kinked, and you will at 'best' only get them back 'close' to where the handle should be.

This is important; because you don't need to be far out for the uneven angle of the grips to make them quite uncomfortable, especially on a longer ride, or as a learner, hanging on with a death-grip... More warning.

On the comper, I have not been 'too' bothered about banging the bars back to almost straight, or at least useable... I'm only going to drop the dang thing again, probably in the very near future... and at £30 a pop, it could get quite expensive quite quick if I replaced bars each and every time!

On the road-bike... three crashes in 30 years... NOT so likely I'll be paying more to replace bars than fill up with petrol, and knowing how painful just a slightly skew handle can be... I'd get it swapped out pretty quick.

That's YOUR call.... but the safe bet is to replace 'like for like' with genuine OEM part from Honda.... check prices, they probably aren't all 'that' expensive compared to E-Bay specials, and from Honda or Dave Silver's they should be like-for like interchangeable, with OTMH, four bolts on the top yoke, one screw each for clutch and brake lever, and maybe one or two more for the switch gear at each end.. no bashing, bending, cutting or drilling required....

Go E-bay, and you will be having to measure up the width, height, clamp width, and pull back dimensions on what you have, trying to find best match to that in the adds, then cutting and drilling to fit when you get them. If OEM bars are only £30-40 delivered, as much as a pair of Renthals, and only perhaps £5-£10 more expensive than a pair of cheapo steel after-market bars... it's likely not worth it for the hassle, and if you have to buy umpety drill bits, and a grinder to get teh chrome off before you discover why your drill don't make a hole... actually as 'cheap'.

My advice, is go to your local Honda or Dave Silvers; buy a bit like the factory fitted; Also be a good idea to get a pair of rubber grips to go on them; left hand 'clutch' end grip is glued to teh bar, and a often a pain to get off old bars, and even more of a pain to get re-attatched to new, if you do, and for about £5, again, saves a LOT of faff and hassle.

BUT BEFORE THAT! Make sure the bars ARE actually bent; and what 'other' damage was done in drop.

Bars tend top be pretty strong; if they are bent, then impact was likely pretty hard, and what other damage did it do. Check the foot-pegs; Check the lock-stops, check the forks; but more obviously, gear and brake levers are likely bent too. And on many lightweights, if the back brake lever isn't properly adjusted to start with; or has been dislodged by previous drops; then the pedal head can bash, and dent, crack or even hole the primary drive cover of the engine; look VERY carefully around that brake pedal for other damage.

Back to the bars... when dropped bars can go 'skew' to the wheel, so bars are level and point straight ahead; wheel doesn't. Caused by the two fork legs being twisted in the clamps on the yokes. Bars could be straight, and all you need do is slacken the fork clamps off on the yokes, twist bars back to straight over the wheel, and do them back up again.. which is advice-able to do anyway on a dropped bike, whether you fit new bars or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf ^^ seriously tef?!

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try bending them back first, I did this perfectly on my Fazer when I dropped it. Also check that the forks haven't skewed round in the yolk. There's a good vid on Delboys Garage where he does this on his Blackbird I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ErebusGuy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:39 - 13 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys thanks for the responses, Ill be phoning the Honda dealer tonight to get some ordered.

The fairings of the bike have been replaced already by the previous owner, though I have stripped all the paneling off already as I'm giving the bike a deep clean and doing a 7500 mile service while I'm there.

The only other damage I've found is a couple of snapped plastic clips that hold the top of the headlight onto the front cowling, these can be easily plastic welded back together.

I'm confident that there is no further damage beyond that.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:41 - 13 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErebusGuy wrote:
Hi Guys thanks for the responses, Ill be phoning the Honda dealer tonight to get my wallet raped.

FTFY...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:06 - 13 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

''can anyone recommend me a replacement that is cheaper than going to the main dealer? ''

Yes! see previous posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:44 - 13 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErebusGuy wrote:
Hi Guys thanks for the responses, Ill be phoning the Honda dealer tonight to get some ordered.

Volume isn't veracity. Brick Wall

Is Mike paying for your bars?

Universal bars with the right radius and geometry will be absolutely fine. Bending the bars back into shape will probably be fine.

ErebusGuy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:54 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up not going with the Dealer after all as they told me they wouldn't be able to get any for 3 weeks due to an apparent "Supply chain issue".

Got some from Ebay in the end, patent part £39.99, fitted them today and they fit perfectly. I contacted the seller regarding the renthals and discovered they had a much lower rise, almost CBR style bars.

Thanks for all the help guys just glad to finally have some straight bars! Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 1 day between these two posts...

ismaeelb
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:12 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Damaged CBF 125 2012 Reply with quote

Hi Guys/Girls,

So I recently got myself a cbf 125 as you probably could've guessed from the subject 😂 , unfortunately 2 weeks into having it there was an attempted robbery and in the process the thieves dropped the bike 😢. I thought only the clutch lever was damaged aside from the cosmetic ruin, so I replaced the clutch myself and carried on riding. Anyway I just took it to get it's MOT renewed only to find out it's got a couple of serious defects, oh BTW I'm from Luton and there seems to be a serious lack of Motorbike repair places. I tried calling a number of garages to have the bike looked at, eventually I got through to one up in Flitwick and was told the cost of the repairs would be around 400 as the headlamp needs to be replaced alongside the handlebar as it was bent from the fall and something to do with the internals. Anyway that was a lot more pricey than I was hoping for, so I was thinking of ordering second hand parts and have someone fit them in for me. Problem is I don't really know anyone that could do that, so I was wondering if anyone knows of someone who'd be able to give me a hand preferably in Luton or anywhere nearby? Or if not maybe a little advice on how to replace handlebars and headlights, and where to find trustworthy second hand parts?

Thank you

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 18 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

copy this post and start a new thread. Your get more help this way
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1