Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kisbee 50 drive belt changed, riding difference?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 14 Jul 2018    Post subject: Kisbee 50 drive belt changed, riding difference? Reply with quote

Newdrive belt fitted, ordered as "Kisnbee 50 belt".

New one is marked 724mm long. Old one is 723mm. I can't see that making a difference. The inner of the variator was not removed. The clutch was not taken apart.

However, the bike accelerates less quickly off the mark (yes, I know...) up to its tpo speed.

Is this to be expected with a new belt, or is it something else.?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 14 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the belt an OEM one? If the new belt is wider or worse stiffer like the aftermarket kevlar belts it would with a std variatior affect acceleration and sometimes reduce the gear ratio range.

Did you not examine and ideally replace the variatior rollers at the same time as changing the belt? They are really supposed to be changed together and by the time a belt on a low power scooter has worn then it's likely the rollers will be flat spotted and past it too.

Of course if you assembled the front pulley wrongly or left out a washer or spacer then that could be the problem?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 14 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Is the belt an OEM one? If the new belt is wider or worse stiffer like the aftermarket kevlar belts it would with a std variatior affect acceleration and sometimes reduce the gear ratio range.

Did you not examine and ideally replace the variatior rollers at the same time as changing the belt? They are really supposed to be changed together and by the time a belt on a low power scooter has worn then it's likely the rollers will be flat spotted and past it too.

Of course if you assembled the front pulley wrongly or left out a washer or spacer then that could be the problem?

The replacement is ftom Euroscooterparts, "Naraku Old Type Short Drive Belt for Piaggio Sym Peugeot 4T 50cc" Size: 724-17.5. It does seem slightly stiffer than the old one, which has done ~10,000 Km.

The old one is 723-17.5, but was worn to a width of 16.2mm (from 17.5mm).

The variator rollers were examined about 300Km ago, when the main bearings were replaced. They seemed to be OK, cylindrical with smooth surfaces and no chunks missing (add to that the scooter was OK just before the belt change). I did not know they are supposed to be changed at the same time. The "service manual" does not say anything about them (although I don't think it's a very good service manual...).

The pulley was replaced properly as far as I know. I will check it. The only thing is that when the person removing it tried, they had the air wrench turning the wrong way to start with.

u33db
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:48 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

New belt slightly contaminated with grease/oil from fitting, and slipping perhaps?

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old belt was worn, so acceleration felt quicker! It has changed the ratio somewhat. Keep riding, it should loosen up soon

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c1brocket et al, had a look today. New belt has worn very slightly on outer edges, old one has polished look over all of sides so was seating better. Running with the drive cover off and rear wheel held off the ground shows the variator functioning (a surprising, to me, amount of "flap" in the belt). Will see if things improve, until then "The Boy" has instructions to give it beans and push off the line with additional "leg power". Will psot pic/vid when sober.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1