Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cagiva Mito powervalve/ electrics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Danmondo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:53 - 14 Jul 2018    Post subject: Cagiva Mito powervalve/ electrics Reply with quote

I've got a very strange problem with my Mito... When the bike is fully charging and working ok, the powervalve indeed kicks in and does its job, but the bike will only just touch a 140kmh..

Today while riding the fuse blew which disabled all the electrics/ tach, temp gauge at this point I was just accelerating onto a straight and was rewarded with far far better acceleration and it powering on to a 170kmh, it did this before when my battery was screwed. Any ideas?

Could something be drawing voltage from the powervalve/ CDI causing the issue when the electrics are working?

Strange one, I know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 14 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check for any signs of an electrical short in the whole electrical system, as well as checking battery voltage when running. Does the Servo motor for the valve have a direct feed, and will operate without the rest of the electrics working?

It could be anything causing a high current draw, but if you had a duff battery then say the difference between having the lights on/off could make the difference between having enough current to power the CDI and exhaust valve servo motor or not. I'd also be checking that the exhaust valve blade, and linkages and cables are freely moving, and correctly adjusted and lubricated. You don't want to put any more load on the servo motor than there should be, as you can fry the motor and or CDI if it's all gummed up and not been stripped down and cleaned regularly.

On mechanical power valves it's possible for linkage arms and valves to break when the valves get stuck with gooey carbon, so an electronically operated valve could easily fail or burn out if the same situation occurs. Power valves on two strokes are a pain and require really regular maintenance IMO too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danmondo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:10 - 14 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, the battery is brand new, I've already replaced the stator a few months ago so it's charges around 13.0 on idles, about 14 at 6500rpm.
I frequently adjust the powervalve to spec and clean if necessary.

I'm going to check the harness for shorts and grab the multimeter, start testing voltages at the powervalve module etc. I'll post the results. Thanks again!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1