Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CarChatForum - Intake Air Leak Astra Derv

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: CarChatForum - Intake Air Leak Astra Derv Reply with quote

I know a lot of you lot have old knackered cars like me, bikes rule after all but I still like my cars to actually work so thought I'd ask Laughing Car in question is a 2006 Astra 1.9CDTi (150bhp version they put in Vectra's).

Had this car 3 years now and never had any bother with it (only done 81k on a 56 plate, never modified), used it to go to London and back for years and alsorts. Anyways, few months ago all of a sudden it just stopped pulling, as most will know these engines are "pokey" at the very least so you know when they are boosting properly. Replaced the EGR then most recently the intake because it was coked to bits, but still not pulling properly It's not too awful to drive but it tends to go into limp mode which can be unbearable.

The intake was not cheap to do, even with the brother doing the labour, he says the turbo seems ok as in no leaks or play but possible the rest of the exhaust system and/or CAT could be coked up too? The error codes are the intake though which is confusing. Obviously nearing the point where you wonder what you are doing wasting time and money on a 12 year old car, but it is a nice car and does all I need.

Codes:

P2279 Intake Air System Leak
P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit
P0105 Manifold Absolute Pressure Circuit

The last 2 could be related to having unplugged the battery during the new intake install.

Thumbs Down

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried taking the sensors out and cleaning them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any leaky air lines from the egr or associated sensors, I'm talking narrow vac type lines not main air flow pipes.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:25 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your turbo actuator is working properly

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Saab with the same engine, and it's an absolute shitter. I ended up blocking off the EGR and removing it completely as this avoids the intake manifold problem from happening again.

I agree with what's been said above. Best to go go back over the airbox/piping/intake and see if there's any leaks. After cleaning the MAP sensor and MAF sensor. Also, I would take off the EGR and clean it again, then make sure it's fitted properly.

Also, if you do keep it, make sure you do the timing belt and waterpump every 40k miles, or 60k I'd say is the absolute latest. The waterpump often kills itself and takes out the timing belt with it.

Those circuit codes I suspect not to be due to the battery being disconnected, but the battery being connected while other connectors have been disconnected.

Delete those circuit codes and run it to see if they return. If not it's probably because your brother has disconnected plugs before disconnecting the battery.

Tariq_S
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the exhaust.

Someone I know had this problem on an old Astra, changed clutch oil filters but problem was still there. Ended up being a rag in the bag box which someone had stuffed in there.

Could be the cat aswell, an easy delete is takes it off and using a broom handle to clear the contents of the cat. Not technically legal but I’ve know people who have done it in lots of bangers where replacing the cat costs more than the car is worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried cleaning the boost sensor on the inlet, but not tbe maf. I haven't really tried a leak test yet (spray wd40 around the engine bay until revs rise?), would issues with the exhaust not bring up separate codes? The EGR is also brand new since they are so cheap, I previously had issues with it about 20000 miles ago, I just cleaned it and it was good as new but replaced it this time in case.

The EGR and swirl valves are now all blocked off whilst doing the intake Thumbs Up Belt, water pump, pulleys ect were done when I first got the car. Just had the alternator done recently too, it was that bad I thought it was my gearbox but luckily not Laughing

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you replaced the mass airflow sensor? If you have already done the swirl flaps and the egr is new or blanked then it will be the mass airflow sensor.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mafs do die, will cause a big loss of performance and or limp mode. Ive never liked Maf's even on petrol engines where there's really no need to use them over MAP and TPS sensors.

If the Maf is fucked and the engine is otherwise in good condition, I know for some derv cars in this pre Euro 4 era, you can get Mafless re-maps done too, which solves the problem of failing MAF sensors every few years.

Oh and if your EGR is blanked off and your car is pre DPF era, then as said get the catalyst sorted inside or a straight pipe fitted. Diesels were never meant to be clogged up with all this shit, and actually drive really well and how they should with all the crap removed

Anyone remember the first generation mechanical turbo diesels? They were very all or nothing, but on boost they went properly especially with the fueling turned up a bit. Smile

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
I've tried cleaning the boost sensor on the inlet, but not tbe maf. I haven't really tried a leak test yet (spray wd40 around the engine bay until revs rise?), would issues with the exhaust not bring up separate codes? The EGR is also brand new since they are so cheap, I previously had issues with it about 20000 miles ago, I just cleaned it and it was good as new but replaced it this time in case.

The EGR and swirl valves are now all blocked off whilst doing the intake Thumbs Up Belt, water pump, pulleys ect were done when I first got the car. Just had the alternator done recently too, it was that bad I thought it was my gearbox but luckily not Laughing

Those circuit codes that were mentioned previously are for the mass air flow sensor, and the map sensor (the "boost sensor"). I would be looking at both of those, cleaning the sensors again, checking and cleaning the connector blocks/contacts.

If you deleted the codes, check them again to see if any returned (e.g. its possible you or your brother might have caused one of them through unplugging a sensor, but the other may be a genuine ongoing problem with the circuit).

MAF sensors start from about £30 for my car, so should be similar or less for yours. Might be worth replacing if suspect. That said I'd probably try testing and cleaning the one on there first as i dont like just buying parts that may or may not solve it.

Do you know anyone with a vectra c or saab 9 3 1.9 tid that could let you try their MAF to see if that fixes it?

Another thing to check is the hose going directly onto the intake manifold. I've had mine slip off slightly itself. The clamp needs to be pretty tight.

The other thing to consider is there might be a split in that hose. It's not happened to mine, but happened to a friends 9 3, and another 2 9 5s in the same family (the 9 5 is a different engine, but similar hose design.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1