Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1999 R1 Noisy > 6k rpm?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: 1999 R1 Noisy > 6k rpm? Reply with quote

Afternoon all.
So 1999 R1, 25k, had it a year or so, it was a little noisy above 6k so replaced the CCT last year (made no noticeable difference).
Either it's getting progressively louder or I'm just getting more paranoid.

It still sounds fantastically smooth below 6k but when going over or giving it some welly it gets a horrid tappy noise...

A little juddery when giving it gas at very low RPM (1.5k or so) and I have read this is fairly normal (aftermarket slipon)? Clutch slips a little when giving it all the berries, not bothered me much as I don't really go there on public roads and now have a track bike for mucking about Very Happy

Still pulls spectacularly and performs great Very Happy

Any thoughts welcome its really putting me off riding it Brick Wall
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of things that you can check without expenditure.

Firstly,remove the chrome cover over the Exup valve and ensure that when you manually open the valve with the ignition off,that when switched on,that the pulley resets back to its detent position ie. that the 'U' shaped part stops over the hole in the backplate.

Then I would be checking to make sure that the carb diaphragms are all seated correctly and that not one of them has any splits in the rubber.

How old do the spark plugs look?Are they anything special like NGK Iridium?

What is the state of the air filter?I replaced my one with a pattern one from Wemoto and is easily cleaned with compressed air.

Once everything has been done,then check the carb balance with some vacuum gauges.

Have a look at www.yamahar.co.uk and also the early R1 pages on f/b Thumbs Up Wink

Always have a 'Plan B'

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: 1999 R1 Noisy > 6k rpm? Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
Still pulls spectacularly and performs great Very Happy

Any thoughts welcome its really putting me off riding it Brick Wall

Ear plugs. Wink I forgot them a couple of times and the clatter of my '03 R1 and '99 ZX6R was dreadful. Ear plugs in and it's all baritone rumble and roar. Nothing wrong with either bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely normal to hear 90's Kawasaki's that clatter low down like a cement mixer full of spanners. But I thought Yamaha's were silky smooth revving sewing machines by comparison?

I'd do all as Mr Fizzer suggested, but also maybe check for signs of blowing exhaust header gaskets?

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really liking the idea of the rattle being the exup valve or something of the sort (reading the 'what did you think was a fault' thread gave me hope!).

I have over looked valve clearances as it sounds like it's running like clock work below 6k however I got my ear close to the left hand side (obnoxiously loud exhaust on there), and I can indeed hear some tapping... As to whether it's a normal amount as it's relatively quite I'm unsure so will pull off the fairings and investigate external possibilities before looking at the top end.

I've no idea if/when the clearances have been done, I don't suppose anyone knows if they're a 'thing' with the R1's or are they generally okay around 25-30k?

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 5JJ R1 I checked the valve clearances at 18k and only one or two shims actually needed adjusting.

If you are not sure when the clearances were last checked it is a good idea to get them done,if only for your own piece of mind.Keep a record of what the measurements are for future reference Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1