Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aftermarket speedos anyone recommend a good one.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:54 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Aftermarket speedos anyone recommend a good one. Reply with quote

Ended up picking up the hartford 125 taiwanese gn copy the other day. Now to get it on the road and purchase price was £250. Which isn't bad however with it being chinese the electrics are dire. Mainly being the speedo it will go up to about 30mph then it just flickers all the way up to 80 for some reason. The tacho as well goes from 1-3k then comes back down and proceeds to go back up.

So considering replacing the clocks with an aftermarket speedo however never really dealt with them anyone got any suggestions. Considering painting it army green with the back rack as black.

Image of the bike below.

https://i.imgur.com/gM9HyJUl.jpg

borked
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:05 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other half has a newer GN125 and I've had to do a fair bit of work on it over the last six months.

Honestly, I've found the best place to source parts is aliexpress.

I'd just replace it with below as it's not worth spending anything more. In my experience it's one problem after another with these.

Replacement speedo

You may want to bookmark this.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:45 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't bother, its gonna be a dick to sort. Would just ride it as is, both aren't testable items and I don't thin you'll be doing 70+, so I'd just ride as is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted a Trail Tech Vector to my dirtbike, it was reasonably straightforward to do. It did speed and engine temp but you can get more complex ones that have more features.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:25 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I fitted a Trail Tech Vector to my dirtbike, it was reasonably straightforward to do. It did speed and engine temp but you can get more complex ones that have more features.

I also had one of these and it was great. However I wouldn't waste money on one for that bike. Since it's a cheap shitty chinky bike I'd buy a cheap shitty chinky speedo from ebay or similar.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:48 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

I also had one of these and it was great. However I wouldn't waste money on one for that bike. Since it's a cheap shitty chinky bike I'd buy a cheap shitty chinky speedo from ebay or similar.

Agree.

Sammy where do you get your money from? Holidays in the Caribbean, mortgage, tons of bikes...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

borked wrote:
My other half has a newer GN125 and I've had to do a fair bit of work on it over the last six months.

Honestly, I've found the best place to source parts is aliexpress.

I'd just replace it with below as it's not worth spending anything more. In my experience it's one problem after another with these.

Replacement speedo

You may want to bookmark this.

Interesting I was just after something more reliable I know its a chinky pos. However it's helping me slow down with more self control. Apart from the low beam being like a candle whilst main beam is like a high powered led car headlight. That and the speedo being out of whack it's not a bad bike; I was even considering looking for something similar but with a better engine for the future as it feels like a monkey bike.

MarJay wrote:

Sammy where do you get your money from? Holidays in the Caribbean, mortgage, tons of bikes...?

Holiday in the carribbean will be next year that will be about £1900 only. Mortgage is easily sorted due to putting down a large deposit and I've only got 3 bikes now. Sold two of them earlier in the year for £2k that cost me £600. The k1100 that cost me £350 with a load of spares I sold for £300 on its own; still got about £500 worth of spares ready to sell on. The scooter has also been sold for profit now as well.

The rest comes from doing plenty of overtime at work. Being on my own at the moment bills don't come to that much and whilst working sometimes 70hrs a week its easy to have what you want. Getting a dirt bike next year. Mr. Green
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1