BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What bike? - commuter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't bother with a cbf250, they are very rare which is mainly due to a gearbox fault. Like the VT500, they came and went.

CBR125 would be a good choice.

Jefr0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I like the idea of the CBF250 with the bit more grunt otherwise the 125 seems a good option.

I’d have to look into whether the innova would be good to ride, not sure on them myself.

On a side note. The XR I broke down on earlier... on closer inspection the choke lever was very loose and had came on full when I was doing 50mph thinking I’d blown the engine. Waited 2 1/2 hours for recovery Embarassed

Just need to adjust it and it’ll be fine Embarassed

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
kgm wrote:
X version preferred

Why come prefer?

I mean, for the same price, I'd probably go for the X too, but if I was chiselling pennies, I'd look out for an F and give it the teeth sucking and "I mean, nobody wants them, but I could do you a favour..."

Just my preference. Like the additional height, adv style and riding positio and better aftermarket.

You're right though, the F would be a better option for the penny pincher.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
My CB500F returns 90+ mpg every week, even razzing it a bit still gives 85+ mpg, not a problem with it in 17 months.
Other than that Honda now do the CB300F, one in Wigan Honda although it might still have the engine rattle at 5k that my 300 had, maybe the CRF250L.

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:30 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ULEZ thing severely restricts your choices. Loads of cheap as chips reliable hacks out there that would be perfect for your needs if it wasnt for the emissions thing. Almost as if they want to force people to buy new shiny things... Confused

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: What bike? - commuter Reply with quote

Jefr0 wrote:

Commuter yep
75ish mpg? 65 easily possilble
Undesirable to thieves yep
Won’t overheat (commute in London can be standstill) is fine
Light is light enough to throw around
Maneuverable through traffic yep
ULEZ compliant yep
Max £2.5k yep

Rogerborg wrote:

I guess "recommend my current bike regardless of the OP's needs" is a BCF staple, but you even listed the reasons why it's wrong for them. I doff my metaphorical cap.

It wasn't a bad recommendation although Bacon has a 650 and the 700 is probably better.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
Hi
My CB500F returns 90+ mpg every week, even razzing it a bit still gives 85+ mpg, not a problem with it in 17 months.
Other than that Honda now do the CB300F, one in Wigan Honda although it might still have the engine rattle at 5k that my 300 had, maybe the CRF250L.

CB300?? I had to google that because I've never heard of it.. never seen one, this could solve MY problem. I will need another bike in a year or three but has to be new ish.....

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

linuxyeti, paging linuxyeti to the thread.

<ducks and covers>[/quote]

Why duck and cover?
A London city commuter bike! Needs to be new and emissions friendly and reliable. Name on tank and pride and joy one bike to do everything including Sunday best and spunking over in the garage is not required by OP.

Good tool for the job is required. If you can tick that box more cheaply with a Chinese bike that you only expect or need to last 3years max to more than break even, what's not to like?

Pinnacle bikes and city riding and parking are finished in 2018, unless your one of those rich city twats that doesn't care and won't care about anything other than dropping your Ducati keyring on the office desk each morning when your not dropping your C63 AMG keys on the desk in front of your blond PA that is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Mark65 wrote:
Hi

CB300?? I had to google that because I've never heard of it.. never seen one, this could solve MY problem. I will need another bike in a year or three but has to be new ish.....

My bad its a CB300R. But expensive.

https://www.northwest-honda.co.uk/vehicle-details?vid=NEWCB300&make=Honda&model=CB300#uvseGallery

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 27 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Honda innova.

However, you might stand a chance of an NC700 for your budget if you shop around. Mid 60's mpg. Easy to ride. Undesirable to theives. A "white goods" commuter bike.

Monkeypony wrote:

After riding one of these (a '750 X' version) as a hire bike for the last couple of weeks following an accident, I was starting to wish I had been killed in the collision.

Being gang raped would be considerably more comfortable.

Rice cakes are considerably more exciting.

Thumbs Down

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/267f99dd-751e-4d95-8b7d-e405fa5aaf07
Yup, it's a bit dull, but for London commuting it's pretty hard to beat. I do the Essex->Central London->Essex run (82 miles a day), all year around (well, the mileage used to be split between the NC and a Hornet, before some dickless twat stole the Hornet) - I bought it new in 2012 and I've covered ~80k on it and it's never (ever) let me down.
It's dull but can beat most cars to 60 and can easily cruise at 80 - supremely nimble at low speeds (low CoG) and still returns ~70mpg (without any consideration to riding conservatively)
Hornet was stolen, NC remains (they were parked side by side) - so it's also pretty much invisible to thieves.

The low-end torque lends itself extremely well to London riding too - I find it one of the easiest bikes to ride through/around London traffic (based on my limited experience of doing it on a ER5/CG125/ZZR600/Hornet/C1/SV650)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:59 - 27 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
[NC700 sperg]

Never have I so wrestled with my conscience before giving an "Interesting" rating.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 27 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:

Yup, it's a bit dull, but for London commuting it's pretty hard to beat. I do the Essex->Central London->Essex run (82 miles a day), all year around (well, the mileage used to be split between the NC and a Hornet, before some dickless twat stole the Hornet) - I bought it new in 2012 and I've covered ~80k on it and it's never (ever) let me down.
It's dull but can beat most cars to 60 and can easily cruise at 80 - supremely nimble at low speeds (low CoG) and still returns ~70mpg (without any consideration to riding conservatively)
Hornet was stolen, NC remains (they were parked side by side) - so it's also pretty much invisible to thieves.

The low-end torque lends itself extremely well to London riding too - I find it one of the easiest bikes to ride through/around London traffic (based on my limited experience of doing it on a ER5/CG125/ZZR600/Hornet/C1/SV650)

Nope, still can't see the logic. Sitting in traffic in a car would be equally as dull, and considerably more comfortable than using one of those hateful things, and would be nice and toasty in the winter too.

82 miles a day on one of those will give you brain cancer. You have been warned. Shocked

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 28 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

Nope, still can't see the logic. Sitting in traffic in a car would be equally as dull, and considerably more comfortable than using one of those hateful things, and would be nice and toasty in the winter too.

82 miles a day on one of those will give you brain cancer. You have been warned. Shocked

*Takes obvioustrollbait*

Car:
£11.50 congestion charge, £20 fuel, £50 parking, 5~6 hours per day commuting.
=£81.50
Bike:
£7 per day fuel, 2H20M total commute time. I reckon I could enjoy myself more with the ~4 hours saved and the £74.50 to spend, relative to the 'comfort' of sitting in an air-conditioned car on a horrendous cager journey.

I think you're the one who may already have a brain tumour if that makes sense to you Surprised
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2