Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Real things you ignored but really was a fault?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 17 Jul 2018    Post subject: Real things you ignored but really was a fault? Reply with quote

I got a 350 YPVS from someone. There was always a strange 'clacking' sound when I started it, ignored it and rode it, rode ok. Started to get a misfire, but if you put the fuel tap on prime instead of normal or reserve it got rid of it. Over time it got worse, I knew it had to do with the 'clacking', but didn't want to admit to myself. Got to a point where I rigged up a dummy fuel tank without all the vacuum tap shit and it ran fine. Turned out to be the base gasket on the right cylinder leaking and stopping the vacuum tap working correctly cos it takes it from the right hand carb. Thing is I sort of knew that replacing the tap, having the carbs off loads of times and finding nothing wasn't the problem. Top end off, new gaskets all ok.

OGR

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:03 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE bullet 350 popping and banging on the overrun. Tried sealing the exhaust to no avail so ignored it for a good 6 months until it eventually sounded like a machine gun when you were going downhill and seemed a bit down on power.

Turned out the exhaust valve seat was in finger-tight and was flapping in and out of the head as the valve opened and closed.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bike, but my first 3ltr Capri.

Always had a tick that didn't sound right, had to strobe the timing most weeks (distributor bearing was fooked - well known fault) and became an expert at setting the tappets - still the tick wouldn't go away.

One day, I race a guy in an RS2000 round the South Circ, hand him his arse and cruise off in a different direction - all of a sudden, the tick gets much louder, I glance at the oil pressure gauge, it drops to nothing and the engine seizes.

My engine builder reckoned it was the worst case of oil pump drive failure (another well known Essex V6 fault) he had ever seen, seized on every cylinder Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:03 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my 400 Superdream to have crap performance and poor handling. I ignored it when I realised the problems were design faults.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:54 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I must have something caught in/hanging off the fairing."
"One more lap and I'll pull in and check it out."

Nope - that was the sound a 675 engine makes when it hasn't got any oil in it.

And I hadn't clicked that I didn't get that much oil out the previous oil change. (And wasn't aware that you should really use the max line on the dipstick as a minimum.)
Or that I was losing out on the straights on a previous trackday to a friend on an R6 who I was normally evenly matched with.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:58 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
"I must have something caught in/hanging off the fairing."
"One more lap and I'll pull in and check it out."

Nope - that was the sound a 675 engine makes when it hasn't got any oil in it.

And I hadn't clicked that I didn't get that much oil out the previous oil change. (And wasn't aware that you should really use the max line on the dipstick as a minimum.)
Or that I was losing out on the straights on a previous trackday to a friend on an R6 who I was normally evenly matched with.

I drilled a tiny hole in my dipstick for the new max level on my ST3...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:03 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I bought a damaged repairable TT600. It was dirt cheap, and I had it delivered to my parents house where I lived at the time. I spent an age fitting new lights, indicators etc. and got it all working. It was only a couple of years old so it didn't need an MOT.

So on the fateful day I started riding it to work, and heard a nasty grinding noise. I thought it was a loose exhaust header nut or something so I kept riding. The noise got worse. The bike started to sound like a Ducati. The noise got yet worse... And then... The engine seized completely.

Turns out, it had dropped a valve, turned the valve head upside down and rammed it back into the head. Dead bike.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it were still all fields round here and goal posts were made from jerseys, my first proper, on the road bike was an old Tiger cub.
I rode it happily for a week or two until the petrol tank got all rattly and knocky when it was pointed out to me I had run it dry and the 'noisy tank' was actually the big end knocking.
No more cub.
A good but painful first lesson in maintenance

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:30 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought the knocking i was getting at the front was due to a dodgy fork seal, was actually a collapsed bearing.

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:02 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my first bike at 16 I ignored everything unless it made it faster, ended up running about with nothing but a sidelight, bald tyres, a chain so loose it fell off regularly and only a back brake for about 3 months on the plus side it had a shiny new big bore kit, race pipe, carb and air filter, I fell of it a lot. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:11 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought the road was pretty greasy on the way to an MOT. Tester shouts across "What the f- do you call this?" as he's wobbling the rear wheel side to side a good half inch. Total wheel bearing failure.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:30 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chain's only a little noisier than it was yesterday.

It's always made that rhythmic clicking, hasn't it?

Clunk-[jerk]-graaaaunch is characteristic, right?

https://i.imgur.com/EaWB09B.jpg

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 18 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

'kin hell borg, I thought my F800 sprockets were bad!

Anyway on my old KLE I noticed at traffic lights it was sounding a bit louder than usual, idling slightly worse and making a metallic smell. This got worse and worse over the period of three months until the entire left hand exhaust header pipe snapped off. It had been rusting away from behind all that time and I never noticed.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:41 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Pfft, bit of weld and it'll last for another eleventy thousand miles.

Omitting to regularly check the oil in my old Triumph Herald was a particularly stupid failing on my part. Luckily those were the days when you could visit a breaker and upon parting with 50 quid and a bit of grunting leave with a perfectly serviceable replacement. Some might say that having to replace three engines on the same vehicle was somewhat careless.
It's definitely a fine art though, repeating the trick in a Leyland 7.5ton flatbed on the M5 was a trifle interesting when the coolant tank didn't much fancy acting as an oil cooler and redecorated the whole cab, the flatbed, and presumably, a not unhealthy stretch of the M5 with old engine oil. It was as though someone had turned off the lights!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:53 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
'kin hell borg, I thought my F800 sprockets were bad!

Eh, I lived. When I felt that tooth start to chew away at the chain every time I leaned it over, I accepted it was time to change the C&S.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1