BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pikey Council Workers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:56 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, there is one thing I hate, and that's waste. Smashing stuff up for the sake of it is the definition of that IMO. If people can make use of stuff that's thrown away then good on them. Means less natural resources mined to produce new goods. I'd never say people can't have new stuff, but unnecessarily? No.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:
Anything I take to the tip that could possibly be oiked out of the skip and sold for profit is smashed to fucking smithereens before it goes in.

Seriously why bother? You're done with it so why even care if anyone else gets some benefit from it.

People need to chill and get on with enjoying life. Laughing

MarJay wrote:
As an aside, there is one thing I hate, and that's waste. Smashing stuff up for the sake of it is the definition of that IMO. If people can make use of stuff that's thrown away then good on them. Means less natural resources mined to produce new goods. I'd never say people can't have new stuff, but unnecessarily? No.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Although the thought of maintaining eye contact with one of the borderline Nazis at our local place, while putting a lump hammer through a table top, does have a certain appeal.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:30 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking stuff to the tip is so old fashioned as almost anything can be given away on freecycle. Razz

Getting the arse about stuff you've thrown away being taken by someone else for whatever reason is really quite pathetic. If they've found a way to turn rubbish into cash then good for them and IMO it should be encouraged.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Taking stuff to the tip is so old fashioned as almost anything can be given away on freecycle. Razz

Getting the arse about stuff you've thrown away being taken by someone else for whatever reason is really quite pathetic. If they've found a way to turn rubbish into cash then good for them and IMO it should be encouraged.

What about a plan to turn a rubbish idea into cash?

But not even get it to production.

Is that OK?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:56 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never okay to do as Adam Aarons does.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
It's never okay to do as Adam Aarons does.

OK.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Unless it's various "charity bag" collectors (especially clothing) who will take your freebies at the roadside, sell them in Eastern Europe for a large profit and "donate" a pittance of the proceedings to the charity they have emblazoned (albeit with permission) all over their stuff, making most people believe they are donating the full value to charity.
https://www.charitybags.org.uk
Still, they're so active round here they keep me in free bin bags for most of the year.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine works at a large recycling centre in West Yorkshire. In common with many such establishments nowadays it is privately run under contract from the Council. In theory as soon as something is deposited on site, it becomes the property of the contractor and any employee taking it without consent is thieving...

The reality is somewhat different, as the 'senior' staff have first dibs at the decent stuff and as long as they don't take the piss, the CCTV somehow misses the theft. It does indeed end up being passed to others for a small consideration and most is sold at car boots, on the web etc. Some is collected and weighed in periodically. For example my friend collects electrical wire for the copper...

Who looses out? The public because the reduced potential profit from operating the site means higher contract bids. The additional money paid to waste contractors could otherwise be spent on local services...

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a different tip this week. They have a warehouse type shop next door where the better stuff goes and they sell it off for next to nothing.
I did get in trouble for coming back from the tip with more than I went with.. but who could turn down a leather poang (sp?) chair for £3!

I asked the man what they do with the money they make..

He said it goes towards running the shop, including tea, coffee, milk. Nice and honest and already much better than most high street "charity" shops. He then told me that they do a lunch for lonely elderly folks a few times a year.

I mean, FFS, who could possibly have a problem with that? I gave him a tenner and thanked him.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rags.

Where do they come from?

Charity dumps is where they come from.

The charity bags are sold off to whoever and then supplied to industry.

Very little clothing handed in is worn by anyone.

But good for a Fancy Dress do. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2