Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First proper bike - thoughts about various security devices

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: First proper bike - thoughts about various security devices Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum today, looking forward to getting to know people and discussing bikes of course!

I obtained my full licence this week and put down a deposit on a CBR650F today. This is following endless hours of trawling through reviews, reading forums and talking to other bikers - if anyone is thinking about a first full-size bike then I would happily pass on what I've learned. I think CBR650F will be perfect for me, but other bikes would suit other people.

I want to sort out everything I need in terms of security and insurance before I get the bike. It is fitted with a tracking device, which I will need to pay about £10 per month for. This seems reasonable. It will give me peace of mind and a fun gadget to play with tracking my rides. I don't know whether it will reduce insurance premiums. The question I am stuck on is regarding armoured chains. See below.

So. Armoured chains. If I were to get an armoured chain + disc lock combo, should I declare it when I take out insurance? If I do so I assume I will have to carry the chain with me and use it whenever I leave the bike (within reason). Furthermore, if I leave the bike somewhere where there isn't a solid object to attach the chain to, does that invalidate the insurance? At the end of the day, is it better to look at the insurer's list of approved disc locks and buy one of those, and always use it, plus have a chain at home anchored to something but not bother declaring it to the insurance company?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

- J

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: First proper bike - thoughts about various security devi Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
So. Armoured chains. If I were to get an armoured chain + disc lock combo, should I declare it when I take out insurance?

Congrats on passing the test.

The simple answer to the question about whether you should declare security stuff to insurers - whether that's "using a disk lock" "using a chain" or "storing overnight in a locked garage" is to suck it and see - ie, run the numbers on an insurance quote and see how much cash it would save you on premiums. Also read up on what would happen if you failed or forgot to use the declared security item... some insurers will say 'you're not covered at all", others might say "you're still covered but with a mightily increased excess". Then, you can make the judgement based on your own circumstances.

Personally, I always use a disklock when leaving the bike away from home, but as I found out it would only save me about £2 a year to declare it, I never did so; because Sod's Law says that the one time I forgot or decided not not bother with the lock, that would be the time the bike got nicked...

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't declare any security, but I live in Wales, so it makes about a fiver a year difference, and gives them one less thing to wiggle out from.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:10 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear.

https://www.docdroid.net/b9VFEBr/north-bristol-bike-gang-compressed.pdf

Don't declare the chain or disc lock to your insurance company because if you do then you'll be screwed if it gets stolen the one time you park outside tesco and didn't bother locking it up properly.

Anyway, you're making the big assumption that declaring security to your insurance company will reduce the price they charge you. Laughing

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Oh dear.

Shocked

I work in that area! Luckily I live quite far from there, though.

Good advice folks. If I get a quote with all the security devices and one with none of them and it makes negligible difference to the cost then I will declare none of them. That way I can't be caught out not using them.

(I called my insurance provider to discuss this for my 125 a couple of times. Each time I spoke to call center staff who couldn't understand even basic concepts like: "If I were to use a disc lock, would my premium go down?" They seemed to be trained to input data into boxes and nothing else. Hence why I want to sort out everything now, declare it all from the get go and never have to phone the provider for any reason.)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:27 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"If I were to use a disc lock, would my premium go down?" They seemed to be trained to input data into boxes and nothing else.

That is exactly what they do. Laughing You need to be telling them about a specific disc lock rather than just asking a vague general question.

Getting quotes online is nice and easy for finding out how much cheaper or more expensive it is if you declare whatever security product it is you're looking it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:19 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: First proper bike - thoughts about various security devi Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
run the numbers on an insurance quote and see how much cash it would save you on premiums.

Or cost you. It happens. Assume nothing rational regarding insurance.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't declare anything unless the insurance company insist you declare security, and I'd find out both what their approved security items are if any, and if they insist on you using it wherever you may Park.

I'd have bike datatagged (looks and sounds good and gives you an approved certificate to send them). Then I'd declare tracker if they ask if you have any electronic security. Your bike has HISS unlike most so that's another good thing. After all that I'd just pay for a good fully comp insurance policy if possible one that you can declare you park it outside on the street instead of in a brick built structure (even if your bike is locked in an underground bunker).

Then I'd use a decent disc lock or some sort of chain when out and about just to prevent easy push aways without someone having big bolt croppers or worse. You've done all you need to then in today's world so let the insurance company sort it out and replace your bike should you lose it.

Finally in that line of thinking you've got a new common and easy to replace bike that's not going to be any different from any other CBR should the worst happen, which is exactly what you want in a daily. If you were planning on buying a 90's Spondon Fireblade I'd be giving you very different advice both on insuring it and what your usage should be like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of irrational insurance decisions - I know someone who worked as a news editor and cameraman some years ago. He made the mistake of declaring "cameraman" as his job when he was insuring his car. The insurance premiums went through the roof! Can you guess why? The reason was that his occupation made it more likely he would injure a celebrity, and their loss of earnings would be sky high. So he changed his job title to "engineer".
I'll spend some time looking at different insurance configurations. I hate filling in forms... worth it though.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:34 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be asking about WHAT to buy rather than what to tell you insurers, a lot of beginners will go out with good intentions visit Halfords and pick up an Oxford chain.

Unfortunately for them they don't realise the chain can easily be broken with a set of bolt cutters.

Almax chain + squire lock is my recommendation, but they aren't cheap.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily agree. OP needs to find out insurance requirements or what to declare. As to what chain they buy, this Almax=safe bike and an Abus or Oxford=certain instant theft well it's old and boring and I'm sick of people thinking a different brand of chain will 100% save their bike from being nicked.

Take a look at the modern world we live in and how city thefts are carried out and what gear the theives use. Then the Almax people need to get off their high horse and wake up that all you can do and all you need to do is show some form of anti theft deterrent to stop someone simply breaking your steering lock and pushing it away.

As I said a chain or lock, is a good idea but in modern city use a replaceable bike, some form of identity marking or maybe a tracker and most important of all a bloody good FC insurance policy that allows you to park anywhere 24/7 with taking some basic precautions is far more important in 2018 than a bloody Almax and a smug attitude sorry!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:
You should be asking about WHAT to buy rather than what to tell you insurers, a lot of beginners will go out with good intentions visit Halfords and pick up an Oxford chain.

Unfortunately for them they don't realise the chain can easily be broken with a set of bolt cutters.

I'm pretty sure in a Bennets? test the Oxford chain beat one of the big name brands.

But, despite that, as Stevo said, any chain is better than no chain to stop them wheeling it away but when they do this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0lLuBKOLS8

Well, it's best to make sure you have fully comp with a reputable company. (does that animal really exist in the insurance world Rolling Eyes ).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:38 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why fully comp?

Every theft policy I've taken covers losses from theft or attempted theft.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Why fully comp?

I say fully comp cause in most cases it's as cheap or cheaper than TPFT for me.

I forget not everyone is a GOF (grumpy old fart) Cool

Also, out of curiosity, what happens if it's damaged by attempted theft? Will the insurance still pay out even if it's not actually gone on TPFT?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:52 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I forget not everyone is a GOF (grumpy old fart) Cool

Not to begin with, but you'll all get here eventually. Folded arms

Polarbear wrote:
Also, out of curiosity, what happens if it's damaged by attempted theft?

The insurance will pay out (less the excess), that's my point. I don't know why "fully comp" is being pimped. Not knowing causes me physical pain in my pedant gland.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Why fully comp?

I got the impression the bike was on finance from what the op has said, if that's the case the finance agreement will require fully comp to cover the asset, it's often in the t&c's

some might only specify theft cover though...

Nice to have a new chap/chapette who's done some research and asking specific questions!

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:03 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best security is to keep it out of sight .

garage / back yard.

especially in your area.

if you're commuting then i hope your work car park is safe

nice choice of first bike, does a bit of everything (Y)

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:07 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:

pretty sure oxford chains faired very well in the tests done recently....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:43 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter how they do in some tests, Oxford need to do a lot more than that to shake off the reputation they've earnt.

Almax chain + squire lock / Pragmasis chain + squire lock / boat anchor chain + some suitably big lock. You want something big enough that nobody is going to be cutting it without the aid of power tools.

A bloody good FC insurance policy that allows you to park anywhere 24/7 isn't going to stop your bike being stolen. Killing all bikelife is the besrt security.

"I'd have bike datatagged" wtf? are you high?

Irrational insurance decisions are a good thing if you take advantage of them. Thumbs Up Work it to your advantage and everything is cool.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not high, just realist and realistic.

In today's cities with bike theft culture, it's power tool city and that's if your not bike jacked, acid sprayed or have your head chopped off with a machete.

Good insurance on a generic replaceable bike is far the most important thing of all. The chain is there to stop the little 14yr old white boy hoodie snapping your steering lock and just wheeling it away.

It should be obvious that my posts were never about trying to prevent theft at all costs, with the use of £500 of locks that your putting all your trust in and counting on as your saviour from all things nasty. Good insurance is there as a worst case scenario but one that's probably expected to be tested on much much more often than your false confidence security blanket of a supposedly only one good enough lock.

Almax fanboi's need to think about reality and stop wanking themselves off over a 16-19mm chain and supposedly tough as fuck lock. They talk like they will be the only ones with their bike locked up with a superior chain that says don't bother to theives.

Almax and it's probably numerous by now equivalents are not a big secret any longer in the world of bike security. But having said chain your not outfoxing or out smarting the criminal world. People need to be realistic about out and about city security.

Arry told me once that it's a dream world to expect city commuters to have gated off street security compounds to store vehicles in at work.

So if your out there with the street parkers, it don't matter if you have a new CBR125 or Ducati 1299R, it just needs to be a newish and standard generic replaceable bike.

Days of taking your one off Spondon Fireblade etc into a city are long ago over. You need to take basic precautions and be able to walk away with your trust in your paperwork not your bike lock, it's pretty simple to understand isn't it? Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:27 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
pretty sure oxford chains faired very well in the tests done recently....

Rogerborg wrote:
[Bennetts] rate the Oxfraud Monster XL well because of its resistance to cropping and sledgehammer attacks, but the angle grinder went through it in just 17 seconds, so you'd better hope your thief is planning to do it the hard, bulky, old fashioned way.

Wonko The Sane wrote:
I got the impression the bike was on finance from what the op has said, if that's the case the finance agreement will require fully comp to cover the asset, it's often in the t&c's

I do keep forgetting that people will insist on renting bikes that they can't afford to own. Sad

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Wonko The Sane wrote:

I do keep forgetting that people will insist on renting bikes that they can't afford to own. Sad

I'd love something a bit nicer and a bit quirky (Kawasaki W650 caught my eye) but my Hornet cost me £1600 in good condition so it'll get ridden and serviced until it's not worth repairing anymore and while I'd rather not walk away and stump up another grand replacing it if anything happens to it, I probably can find that much money again if I have to (and just hope the washing machine and fridge don't both need replacing for a month or two afterwards)

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike is indeed on finance, but it's 0% so I figured why not. I could have bought it. I can choose to pay it off anytime at no additional cost.
I will keep it out of site at home. If nobody knows it's there they won't be taking it! I can also throw on some additional security, that's no worry.

The reason I was asking questions is because the bike won't always be at home. In our work bike parking there is nothing to chain the bike to.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:23 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Not high, just realist and realistic.

But datatag?!? It's not going to stop a bike being stolen and it's not going to help get a stolen bike back therefore you might as well spend the money on petrol. Razz

stevo as b4 wrote:
You need to take basic precautions and be able to walk away with your trust in your paperwork not your bike lock, it's pretty simple to understand isn't it? Wink

A decent lock is a basic precaution.

stevo as b4 wrote:
But having said chain your not outfoxing or out smarting the criminal world. People need to be realistic about out and about city security.

I know, we need the people with shit chains and shit security because they provide the easy targets for bike thieves who're just wanting a generic bike rather than a one off Spondon Fireblade. Smile

The best security is to park next to someone who has shit security. That's being realistic.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get your angle, but as the state of things are these days in city life, I'd have no more trust in a single premium chain and lock chained to a solid object in a city centre than I would a cheaper lock. Its brazen and no holds barred out there, as well as power tool city.

I'll save the high end pinnacle security for home use to lock up my too scared to take out into town one off Spondon Fireblade. Wink

Best precaution for a daily is a modern generic ride and insurance.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2