First proper bike - thoughts about various security devices

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:00 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
But datatag?!? It's not going to stop a bike being stolen and it's not going to help get a stolen bike back therefore you might as well spend the money on petrol. Razz

It might help the insurance company get their bike back long after they've paid you for it. I doubt it though. Scotchplod don't even record bike crime separately to cars, let alone have numbers on how many bikes they've recovered using Datatag, Smart Water or any of the other magical tagging systems.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:53 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo wrote:
I'd have bike datatagged

Rogerborg wrote:
It might help the insurance company get their bike back long after they've paid you for it

Maybe he is an insurance company. Shocked

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
[Bennetts] rate the Oxfraud Monster XL well because of its resistance to cropping and sledgehammer attacks, but the angle grinder went through it in just 17 seconds, so you'd better hope your thief is planning to do it the hard, bulky, old fashioned way.

I will make the point again. Has the extra 30 seconds it would take to chop through the best chain ever stopped someone? Or has the fact that the chain has been labelled as Almax/Squire/Pragmasis stopped a thief from even attempting?

My current security is chain plus disk lock plus cover.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
I will make the point again. Has the extra 30 seconds it would take to chop through the best chain ever stopped someone? Or has the fact that the chain has been labelled as Almax/Squire/Pragmasis stopped a thief from even attempting?

My current security is chain plus disk lock plus cover.

I have said this before on here , but for the price of an Alamx chain, it would be better to have multiple cheaper Oxford chains, as it would take more time to cut through them

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:37 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
but for the price of an Alamx chain, it would be better to have multiple cheaper Oxford chains, as it would take more time to cut through them

No, it wouldn't. Not unless you use three Oxfraud Hardcore XLs.

Plot twist: I use a cheap 16mm anchor chain, when I can be bothered to use anything. I fully buy the argument that any chain is far better than nothing, but that if they want it, the extra 25 seconds of Oxfraud-vs-Almax isn't going to stop them. I'm not advocating Almax, or Pragmasis, or Squire, since it actually came out best against angle grinders.

What I am advocating is having a fact based discussion rather than making fantasy claims about Oxfraud's performance. That's dangerouse.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
No, it wouldn't. Not unless you use three Oxfraud Hardcore XLs.

Not like you to make assumptions Rog Wink

what if all 3 chains were around different parts of the bike at different angles, i'm sure it would take longer to preposition yourself and said angle grinder to cut 3 chains rather than 1 big one, even if the combined times added together are less than that of cutting 1 chain

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:38 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made a helpful chart.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 26 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to wrap the bike in twine and duct tape until it is totally hidden. That will take them ages to get through with power tools.

Of course I would prefer to have the bike still be there when I get back to it, but there is a balance of inconvenience of bringing all the locks and kit with me, and spending 10 minutes applying ~5 different locks, and the inconvenience of possible theft. Do you folks all carry chains with you wherever you go if you intend to park somewhere?

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:38 - 26 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry 1 16mm chain and one disc lock everywhere I go in a tail pack on a rack
I am lucky at work that they provide a cemented down rail to lock said bike to
When that is full often in the summer I am quitehappyto put my bike in the pushbike rack and lock it to that.
At home I use the above chain and lock plus another chain and 2 ground anchors plus a cover.

Would your work place be amenable to you putting a ground anchor/
Large bucket full of concrete in an Inobscure place

Or try the benefits of biking to work argument that means there is one more car space in return for a solid object to lock the bike to
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 26 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezybiker wrote:
Would your work place be amenable to you putting a ground anchor/
Large bucket full of concrete in an Inobscure place

Or try the benefits of biking to work argument that means there is one more car space in return for a solid object to lock the bike to

Nah, I'm only a contractor and only here for 6 months or so. They might consider it if the bike owners get together and make a case for it. The bikes are currently allocated a car space with lots of space to get in and out to the side. It's convenient and it can't be seen by passers by. We can see the car park out the back windows. If someone did want to steal them I'm sure they would be in and out quickly!
They do seem to be approachable and pro-bike. I will start working on the anchor idea. (The push bikers have a very snazzy and secure bike shed! Locked and everything!)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2