BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oh FFS

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Oh FFS Reply with quote

My mate wants to buy that 750 Harley, what should I do?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out whatever it is that he's on and then, take a fuckload of it. Thumbs Up

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out whatever it is that he's on and then, send me a fuckload of it. Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:34 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardley-Moovin'son, MAKE a 750 now?

To be honest the last one I was aware of was the legendary "Evil Knievil" XR45 flat-tracker from when I was a kid!

https://cdn2.mecum.com/auctions/ej0315/ej0315-211582/images/ej0315-211582_3.jpg?1425668674000

Very very desirable bit of tackle that. Probably more than a bit rubbish on the road... but what the heck! Used to compete head-to head with King-Kenny and the two-smoke TZ700! Still a more than a bit of bike!

Given that's one of the few genuine hardley's I'd actually consider... mostly cos its NOT a feckin' cruiser! And their reletive scarcity, and rather exorbitant prices they now fetch as a genuine classic, If I hadnn't checked google and found the made modern 45, I'd have just told your mate "Sure! Good luck! and then been very envious If he ever actually turned up with a real XR45!

Actually, probably still would... with added atraction if he turned up with a 750 Dyno-Rod, I could have a good laugh!

And why not, not like YOU have to ride it.....

Maybe just ask him to park it some-where a bit out of sight if he comes round to show it you.... like Rotherham or Glasgow, perhaps Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Teflon-Mike.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 23:22 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell him harleys are shit

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Unfortunately. Yes. Ain't she a looker...

Shifty

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that but he's been looking at the NC750X! Rolling Eyes

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 00:04 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

Shifty

wtf do they mean carve the canyons.

pootle around and get in everyones way and piss everyone off in the canyons is more accurate

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:16 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a bad time to admit i think harlies are a bit sexy? I mean they looks great sound great.... Ill go find a rock to crawl back under now

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

Shifty

Yep that's what I'm talking about.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:46 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Is this a bad time to admit i think harlies are a bit sexy? I mean they looks great sound great.... Ill go find a rock to crawl back under now

You'll probably like other famous marques as well, given your liking of that. There is some really nice stuff, such as Fendt, Claas or Deutz if you like precision German engineering with all the toys on them. There is also the polar opposite - basic, simple but works, such as Kirovets from Russia. Obviously, there are a load in between as well.

Twisted Evil Wink

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:00 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

https://media.zigcdn.com/media/model/2017/Dec/street-750-right-view_600x300.jpg

https://bikes-media.bestcarmag.com/sites/default/files/honda/750-shadow-phantom/honda-750-shadow-phantom-98008-995.jpg

Top is the Hardley; bottom the Honda, I think... just in case any-one needs to check. Shocked

There IS something a little disturbing, that after forty years of Harley accusing the Japs of aping their designs, that the situation seems to have been completely reversed!

Curiousely, that Honda Shadow is actually based on the old VT500 engine which curiousely was evolved from this:-

https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Portals/3/EasyDNNNews/thumbs/7660/6241983HondaRS750.jpg

The RS750 flat-tracker, contemprary to the Hardley XR750....

The AMA decided that having two-stroke Yamaha's whoop Harley's butt was a bit unseemly, so banned two-strokes. Honda, championing the four-strokes then decided that that suited them pretty well too, and a couple of decades before they decided to out Duke Ducatti with the VTR1000, tried to Out-Hog the Hardley...

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xXXX1zkCce4/Ve5LjHiRaNI/AAAAAAAATS8/yC7_mEbRuYM/s640/rs500-1.jpg

With that! The NS750... eNeSS? That should be a two-smoke shuureee?... Yeah..... Honda, it has to be said, when it comes to the "There's no such thing as a BAD idea" school of brain-storming, have come up with some doozies!

Y-E-S, you have spotted a water-cooled CX500 lump, turned sideways in the frame!!!

That, itself was an attempt to out-Guzzi the Guzzi V50.. and err.. well, Tonti's master-piece, was, frankly pretty low tech; air-cooled, two-valve push-rod V-Twin, with shaft drive. But, carefully honed to create what was possibly one of the most powerful per-cc air-cooled push-rod motor-bike motors of all time; 50bhp from 500cc; 100bhp per litre. And managed to remain light, tight and spritely. What did Honda do? Decide that it was too old fashioned; so gave it water-cooling, but retained the push-rods, and ended up with something less powerful and even heavier and harder to work on!

THEN tried to turn it into a world-series of America winning flat-tracker?!?

The mind boggles!

Funnily enough, it only ever won one race, and they decided to do something different... and cobbled together the RS750, I believe in the US Elsinor plant, using a Harley XR750 as the blue-print, and mimicking it as closely as possible, even down to the bore and stroke dimensions, and dressing it up with bits, like over-head cams and four valve heads perloined from the Honda XR dirt-bike series.... A-ND with Bubba Shobert aboard, the thing actually did win races...

So the AMA changed the rules... and essentially wrote in the regs "You can have any bike you like, as long as its a Hardley" Lol.

What goes around comes around, as they say I suppose...

I wonder if this preludes Hardley having a go at making a Fire-Blade? Shocked

Slightly back-on-Topic; that Hardley Add actually announced loudly 'From £5,995".... quick look at the Honda catalog seems to show the 750 Shadow rather absent from the line up; probably because that old VT engine was rather long in the tooth and hard to get through the latest emission controls; closest equivalent is probably one of the NC750 derivatives; and intriguingly they start at £5,499.. they are remarkably close on list price.

It's probably A2 complient by looks of it, at just about 45bhp... heavy though.. 225Kg is rather porky.

Interesting to contemplate the old 883 'Piglet' Confused Sportster.. OTMH that was actually lighter and boasted almost 60bhp, though ISTR that independent tests rather rebuked that and 50 was more realistic.

The 'cheap' ish 883 sportster, though, was almost Hardley's 'salvation', offering a bike lower down the market and attracting new customers to the brand.

And whilst the Honda was the far 'better' bike; not shaking itself and rider to pieces, for starters! And the cheaper; the accountants analysis favored the harley in BMW-esq resale value and overall cost of ownership.

This 'new' Piglet, is probably attempting to repeat that feat, of a reasonably priced entry model, that will sell on holding its value too; and with a more up-to-date water-cooled motor, and nie on identical show-room price tag, possibly stands as good or even better chance....

Think about your daily commute across the London Indigestion Zone... what would modern Geek-nik Yuppie, rather boast of using to get to work that morning?

a) Honda Dullsville
b) Harley Dyno-Rod
c) Sinclair C5....

Yeah... probably the C5! Laughing

Actually... there has GOT to be a market for a retro Sinclair C5 revival e-trike!!

Just imagine; Modern chinky e-bike motor and batteries, does any-one know what happened to the original injection molds for the things tub? ISTR it was boasted to be the largest series manufacture injection molding, until the wheelie bin came along! Laughing

GOT to be a Crowd-Funding opportunity there! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:04 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

Shifty

Oh you dick. I clicked that link and now Harley are advertising at me. I might be turned queen.

The Specifications and Performance tab of their website doesn't state engine power, just torque. Probably tells you all you need to know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:32 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell him you can't be friends anymore!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him to keep a certain a distance on rideouts so that nobody assumes you are 'together'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 09:31 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite like them but the Street Rod looks nicer to me.

If he could stretch a bit more the Indian Scout is a better bike to ride than the couple of Harleys I've tried, admittedly not a street or street rod. Quality of finish, reliability and customer service are a bit interesting from things I've read though. Advantage of this over the Jap bikes is the resale price is going to be better due to it being a Harley.

I think he is much better off buying this than deciding he wants to get a Panigale or even a Multistrada with 160hp! They still move more than quick enough for traffic.

Encourage him to get one!

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:54 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lifting the Harley-Davidson Street 750 up off the side stand is easy, thanks to its low weight and low centre of gravity. It makes pulling out from the curb feel as effortless as putting your thumb to the starter button.

That's one thing I always have problems with! Sides stands are so much effort I cant believe Harley have solved this problem so many bikers struggle with.... Does it come with a free rainpal?

And thats its number 3 selling point?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
That's one thing I always have problems with! Sides stands are so much effort I cant believe Harley have solved this problem so many bikers struggle with.... Does it come with a free rainpal?

And thats its number 3 selling point?

That bike is aimed at both inexperienced and smaller (maybe female) riders, and compared to the full dresser behemoths that they sell it is a lot easier to manhandle. It's still pretty heavy though.

I've never really understood all the hate that Harleys get, that bike in particular gets reasonable reviews for being what it is. An unintimidating first bike that's easy to ride.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks more like Harley have resorted to copying chinese designs

https://media.zigcdn.com/media/model/2017/Dec/street-750-right-view_600x300.jpg

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/um-sports-s.jpg

Laughing Laughing Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:01 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

Shifty

I rode one of these Embarassed It was remarkably heavy and felt quite wooden when riding around, probably great for an oldie to potter around on but if you want to ride and feel good, that is not the bike.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 27 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we went to look at them today in Harley Edinburgh. I asked the salesman what the HP was of the HD Street. He answered, and I kid you not. 'Harley don't divulge HP. The bikes are made for torque, fair enough until he said Harley is a way of life and really wasn't interested in the fact I'd turned up in an 1999 R6 with a brightly coloured helmet. The cunt was looking down at me. Anyway I checked online and the Street has 50 something HP. Oh dear it's an A2 bike really. No wonder he didn't want to divulge the HP

So all not being lost my mate fell in love with the HD Iron, a slightly upmarket bike. Oh man dare I say I liked it too.

Will test ride it soon.

Oh dear my mid life crisis with sports bikes might be over and I may turn into a complete wanker and ride a cruiser with race leathers on just to piss Harley riders off.

Yes drunk again.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fact harley make a 1200cc bike that is so underpowered it can be restricted and ridden on an A2 license says it all really, twice the engine capacity but puts out less power than my 'sports touring' 600

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:
the fact harley make a 1200cc bike that is so underpowered it can be restricted and ridden on an A2 license says it all really, twice the engine capacity but puts out less power than my 'sports touring' 600

But, but, muh torques and muh noise.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks vile. Like a heavy, plastic, expensive, ikea washing up bowl.
I'm not sure what I dislike more, the bike or the 'way of life'. And you know it will look even worse with an overweight, over middle-aged and over leather clad cunt sat on it, waiting under a bridge for the rain to pass.

Wow. I'm not sure where that came from. Please forget I used to ride a virago 535
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2