Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprilia RSV1000 / Tuono owners

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Aprilia RSV1000 / Tuono owners Reply with quote

Any RSV1000 or Tuono owners give me the lowdown?

I'm debating a second bike, cbr6 is nice and light, but the power is at top end, over 7000 rpm.

I was considering GSXR1000, blades etc but the low down grunt of the v twin seems to make more sense on the roads. The Aprilia prices are fairly low now, and I like value for money being a tight northern bastard.

A big v twin has been an itch to scratch for ages. I sat on the RSV1000 and it seemed fine, obviously riding is another thing.

Parts prices, availability, ease of maintenance, common probs? Aware of the sprag clutch and sidestand issues.

Is the tuono better day to day?

I'm not 100% certain but the cbr likely will be staying, so the Aprilia will be for weekend use and the odd trip to Wales, but commuting possible?

Filtering? Bars seemed wider.

Any input appreciated.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: What year? Reply with quote

I had on 02 rsv for 8 months till I broke it in the snow. Apart from regular short journeys killing battery and rectifier it was fun. If you want a change to an il4, it certainly is that.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never owned one but I have a friend who does and I've had a go a few times (Tuono). He's had a few electrical issues, nothing major just little gremlins.

To ride it's a lot of fun. Tons of torque from low down, pulls really hard and will easily loft the front up to 3rd gear just on the throttle. Handling is lighr due to the wide bars and I found it just as easy to ride about town as in the twisties. Its an involved ride in the twisties. It does require a wee bit of clutch work at low speed as it can be a little lumpy but certainly nothing difficult to manage.

I have a colleague with the rsv who says it's really lumpy and a bit lacking at very low revs but that wasmty experience of the Tuono. I don't know if they're tuned differently.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All V-twins are battery killers and need a battery tender.
And nobody with any sense would own or want to own two modern IL4 sports bikes at the same time.

The Aprilia seems to be great value now second hand, as do many big V-twin sports bikes as they arnt in fashion now generally. The more fugly earlier RSV's seem the best value too, and if they are like Aprilia's small sports bikes they will be better built and finished than the later pointer models.

You'll certainly get a far better RSV/RSVR for say 2k than you will something like an SRAD 750 of the same age. And you don't even need to do the maths against something like an R1 or GSXR K1-K8.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested in this. I've been drooling over these for a couple of weeks. Vtwin grunt for quite an appealing price ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adamantis
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:45 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute from Surrey into Central London (70 mile round trip) on a 2002 RSVR. Love it 😁

They take a bit of getting used to if you haven't done the vtwin thing before, and they are thirsty buggers, but with the earlier models you get a lot of bike for your money.

Never had any dramas filtering - I've don't the same ride on a vstrom (hated it) and a CBF1000 (dull), and I find the Mille the easiest to filter.

Warning - they are big bikes. I am 6ft and can just get both feet down. If you are shorter, make sure you actually try sitting in one before you buy!

I stick mine on charge if I know I'm not going to be using it for a week or so, and I'm always careful to make sure it's up to temperature before setting off etc (not really an issue in this weather!).

I used to have a'99 RSV until some tosser nicked it, and the fact I got another one should suggest what I think of them :p

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adamantis wrote:
Warning - they are big bikes. I am 6ft and can just get both feet down. If you are shorter, make sure you actually try sitting in one before you buy!

So that's why a load seem to be saying they've had lowering kits fitted? Assuming that's just a different set of dog bones?

How thirsty are we talking?

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned both the 2nd gen RSV and Tuono. The Tuono was bought new and I covered 6000 miles without any issues. The RSV was 10 years old when I bought it from a (non-franchised) dealer, and had intermittent electrical starting problems that left me stranded on three occasions. The dealer couldn't get to the bottom of those and I ended up rejecting the vehicle. Shame as it was mint!

That aside, I'd recommend either. The build and materials quality is up there with the best stuff from Japan IMO. The engine is superb. The 65 degree V gives it quite a different character vs a 90 degree twin (e.g. Ducati, Honda Sp1/2). The Aprilia engine is frentic. They're not as quick as a 1000cc IL4 superbike of the same era, but plenty fast enough. My only gripes were the soft non-adjustable shock on the non-Factory Tuono, and the fuelling was a bit jerky and frustrating for smooth (but fast) low gear, tight cornering. That could probably be fixed with a power commander. Aftermarket exhausts can be offensively, deafeningly loud, so I'd steer clear of stubby exhausts!

Overall, brilliant VFM. Buy on condition, and be prepared to tackle some minor electrical issues. Keep the battery well charged.

My pick would be a factory Tuono. The RSV is more of an extreme riding position than most sportsbikes, with a high seat, long tank and low bars. You can get used to it but it's not great over long distances. Whereas the Tuono is an all day ride in comfort, and offers exactly the same performance.

Last edited by Alex A on 12:27 - 23 Jul 2018; edited 1 time in total

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the falco too. Less focussed but look to be a bargain.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Falco too. Decent, much better than a Firestorm (for instance), but a long way off the sporting credentials of the RSV and Tuono.

I also wouldn't bother with Gen 1 stuff (pre-04 for the RSV and pre-06 for the Tuono). Most of it's tatty now, and the cosseted/mint examples tend to cost as much as or more than a tidy Gen 2 bike. The 2nd gen RSV and Tuono is great value now, and they're a good bit more refined.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Adamantis wrote:

So that's why a load seem to be saying they've had lowering kits fitted? Assuming that's just a different set of dog bones?

How thirsty are we talking?

I'm reading 40ish mpg, which is only 1-2mpg less than my carbed cbr.

I can just get both feet on the ground, think I'm 32 inside leg but might have shrunk since I last checked.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

40mpg might well be possible on an EFI'd newer 1000. Even a Honda VTR will do 30mpg average until your riding it on weekend 80mile tank range blast setting.

I'd not bother lowering a big tall bike like an RSV. They are a decent handling big bike for the bigger frame sized lads, I'd not want to risk ruining the handling just to say I can have an RSV. I look at lots of V-twins and pick one that you can comfortably touch the ground on as std. The VTR as mentioned above is one of the ones with a lower seat height for example.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If V twin and a reasonably low seat are on the cards then the SV1000 might fit the bill. It is of a course a sports tourer, rather than a focussed sports bike.

The 2003 semi faired model had a different subframe and was a bit taller, but all the nakeds and the 2004+ semi faired are lower. Feels only a tad taller than my 2001 CBR600F seat height wise.

The rest of the bike is pretty good too, lovely engine, brakes are decent, suspension ok. Sounds amazing with open cans. MPG somewhere in the 40s and has a reasonable tank range (120-140) unlike the VTR.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

I can just get both feet on the ground, think I'm 32 inside leg but might have shrunk since I last checked.

So you have one already? Didn't take too much convincing Wink

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Falco, bought last May, used through summer and winter.
It had 30000 miles on when bought for buttons, thought I'd give a V a try after years of Firelades. To my critical ear, it seemed even more rattly than the normal rattly so swapped out the motor for a very low mileage RSV. Turned out that the rattles were nothing more involved than the hydraulic cam chain tensioners going weak. (So I now have a nice spare engine!)
First thing I did was go through the electrical system. Yes, shades of Honda, all the connectors had started to scorch the contacts, all removed and hard soldered / shrinkwrapped. I also fitted a charging monitor, shades of Honda, a steady 14.5 volts. I was a little wary of the low battery / knackered sprag clutch syndrome, but it rarely needs a charge, mine starts easily, but there is a caveat.
Build quality is excellent, nothing furred up or seized. Generally high quality all round, brakes, suspension, finish. But, the polycarbonate tanks do suffer from ethanol poisoning, it can cause bubbles in the tank paint, I use super unleaded to avoid this.
Mine is doing a steady 38 MPG by the way, and its not pottered around!
A good quality battery is a necessity to avoid most electrical gremlins. If you are churning the starter to get it going... Check the chip in the ECU. If its not a standard, i.e. one of the reprogrammed ones..... change it back to standard!!! A friend also has Falco, his came with some wierd chip that just refused to let it start, now his starts on the button one replaced.
Performance is, as Rolls Royce would say, adequate, It might be nice having 180 mph, but I'm much more concerned with real world performance. Its a different power delivery to the smooth build up of an IL4, this motor just punches you out of slow speed turns, lopes along at motorway speeds and actually revs like crazy when given the beans. Not smooth, but in no way vibratory, I suppose the best description is that you know exactly what the motor is up too. Only drawback to a slim bike in this hot weather, it can cook you if you have to negotiate slow speed traffic jams. I'm having my exhaust system ceraic coated to cut down on the radiated heat, we'll see how that turns out.
To my surprise, the chain hasn't needed any adjustment in over 8000 miles of fast riding.
These are tall machines, even the more moderate Falco chassis, and do feel top heavy in slow manouvres, especially with a full tank. That dissapears as soon as the wheels are turning. I find it a very neutral handler after the flighty blade, it does need setting up for bends, but stays rock solid even on our raddled road surfaces.
BTW, I attempted the Lands end -Lowestoft beat the sun challenge this June, down to Cornwall, across the country, back home again, nearly 1000 miles in three days, never missed a beat, kept me in one piece, it was the only part of the enterprise that worked perfectly.
I had my initial doubts, but I'm sold on these things now.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

So you have one already? Didn't take too much convincing Wink

I wish, but I only sat on one - was on a ride out on Sat and a bloke pulled up. Got chatting and he let me sit on his, which seemed a little taller than the CBR, and more racing crouch - but the tank was very supportive.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:10 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone put a gun to my head and told me to trade in my existing garage for a single bike, it would be a 2002 -2003 RSV.

All things considered, its probably the best bike I've ever owned.

Engine... frame ... gearbox... exceptional. I could stare at the swing arm all day if I had the time.

Electrics never let me down, but the sheath around the loom could have done with being a couple of mills thicker. It was beginning to wear and would have caused shorting eventually.

The bike was, as is the 916 currently, constantly on a trickle charger to prevent sprag issues.

I commuted into London from Essex during the week, and took it out for a leg stretch over the weekends, I didn't notice fuel consumption any different from other v-twin engines I've had.

You can buy a decent one for £2000 these days, ridiculous. Mine wasn't an "R" model, but I probably would pay the extra £700 they're asking over standard to buy one. Mainly because I'm a bit of a vain b@stard and that sort of $hit makes me all fizzy....

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought Carvels RSVR gen 1 Mille - all the ohlins goodness Cool

ive done 6k on it in the last 3 months.

things ive found / come across:

replace the battery leads - there is a set pf heavy duty cables you can get ready made for about £45

upgrade the starter solenoid

use an optimate or similar.

they arent great around town as standard, but this can be overcome with a quick gearing change and i gather it is much better.

theres a flat spot around 5k - there is a modified collector you can get, and a chip for £50 - loses a bit off the top end, but midrange is much better.

real world MPG is around 35 mpg - max about 130 to a tank if you ride like a saint.

the rear brake master is right next to the exhaust - get used to bleeding it, or relocate it by buying some better rearsets (£260)

thats about it. I love it. after the R6 it feels like someone has strapped a warp drive to my arse Laughing

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any reason why you want two bikes? More is always better yes, but the RSV is still a sports bike, at least the tuono gives a different riding position.

Had a brief go on a TL1000 as my only experience of a v-twin, but owned a GSXR1000. IL4 litre sports bikes are very different to the IL4 600cc class. Toque and power certainly were not limiting factors in my ability to ride that bike.

I'm not suggesting that a v-twin is not the way to go, but is there any reason why you couldn't double the budget and sell the CBR6 and get a really good one? Think I used my 600 once after getting my 1000. Penny Coin Penny Coin

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:29 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
is there any reason why you want two bikes? :

Yes. Loads.

You can also replace the word "two" with "four", "seven" and "nineteen "....

...... assuming your misses has literally no idea what you're hiding in the garage. .. obviously. ..

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
is there any reason why you want two bikes? More is always better yes, but the RSV is still a sports bike, at least the tuono gives a different riding position.

Had a brief go on a TL1000 as my only experience of a v-twin, but owned a GSXR1000. IL4 litre sports bikes are very different to the IL4 600cc class. Toque and power certainly were not limiting factors in my ability to ride that bike.

I'm not suggesting that a v-twin is not the way to go, but is there any reason why you couldn't double the budget and sell the CBR6 and get a really good one? Think I used my 600 once after getting my 1000. Penny Coin Penny Coin

A change is as good as a rest, they say. I like the idea of the readily accessible performance of a big twin. But I think sooner or later I'll miss the howl of an I4 600, wringing an I4 1000cc equally to the limits is only going to end up with bum rape in prison. Aside from denying myself those cell block H style fantasies, it's still another I4, and I fancy something a bit more leftfield.

As for two bikes; I've spent ages fettling that bike so I'll be damned if anyone else is going to get the benefit of it!

I guess I'm a far too attached to it, build quality is top notch, plus it's a great commuter, and as it's not too great cosmetically and not worth that much, I'm not afraid to chuck it around. I've ridden other bikes, the lightness and easy handling means it's not that far off more modern metal.

Tuono is still on the list, I think I need to ride them both, possibly the VTR too.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way I see it is that a modern 1000 IL4 sports bike isn't the ultimate end all questions and bike dreams. The 600's are still probably fun, but can be too small physically and tiring with the constant screaming needed for warp speed on long distance rides. A V-twin isn't a perfect bike or has the perfect combination of compromises, but they are very different from any size IL4 and have some sort of character.

That doesn't always make them great commuters or town bikes, and a litre twin will use at least as much fuel as a 1000 IL4 but often alot more. I get that some people might find a new litre IL4 that's stuffed with quick shifters and electronic rider aids could be fun, but not for long maybe?

Life is short as fuck though and if it's a change your after I'd go for something different regardless of if it's technically better or worse.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find it worthwhile trying out an MT09 if you fancy something different from your norm. The triple is somewhere in between a twin and an IL4.

The tuono is a more serious bike, higher end components, etc but the MT is a bit more of a lark IMO. I prefer the MT but both are bikes which literally made laugh as I was riding them.

sgtcalle
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:50 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late to the party here, I haven't been on BCF for a while but I am moved to post a reply, because I love my '03 Tuono so much.

I came off the back of a CBR600, and an R1 before then. The CBR left me feeling a little bit numb, mainly down to power delivery. It was just too linear, top end & predictable. I wanted something completely different, something exciting.

I took a punt on the Tuono back in April, an 03 in excellent nick, 21k miles, @ £2,300. It is now on 29k miles, which has comprised of commuting, weekend leisure riding and a 1200 mile trip around Scotland.

I absolutely love the bike. The engine is the highlight, absolutely bags of torque, with a fantastic exhaust note (I have a remus can on it), as said it will wheely up till 3rd. Brakes are superb, and it is well sprung. The gearbox is a little bit agricultural, just needs a positive input or you can miss a gear. The only comment I could make is that when you are hooning it, it can feel a little bit less frenetic than an IL4 600, as you are not jumping up and down the gearbox all the time. This can either be a good thing or a bad thing - it can make the ride feel a little bit less involved, but on the other hand it allows you to concentrate on your line, application of power etc. It handles really well, turn in is quick, the weight is well distributed.

I was really surprised at how comfortable and easy to get along with the bike is. I had read before buying it that it is a bit of a hooligan, and it can be, but it's also an absolute pussycat. You can happily cruise along on it, the fairing and screen do a great job at deflecting wind blast; up to about 85 on the motorway there is barely a whisper. The seat is by far the comfiest of any sports bike I have owned, and is narrow enough to filter. I did the 1200 mile Scotland trip in 4 days, which shows it is all day comfortable. The suspension is quite hard, so it does crash over bumps a little, but that is to be expected from a sports bike. When I bought it it had clip-ons on it, and the riding position gave me hip cramp after half an hour. It might be worth going for an extended test ride on one to make sure you don't encounter the same. I have since put the bars on it and that has solved the issue.

In terms of reliability and finish, as mentioned you need a strong battery. I have gone through one battery already, but have replaced it with a better one and it has since been more or less OK. A trickle charger is a good investment here. My neutral light is also somewhat temperamental, which I understand is down to a dodgy relay. The finish on the bike is really good. I have had to put a new chain & sprocket set on it, and it also eats tyres fairly quickly.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgtcalle wrote:
A bit late to the party here, I haven't been on BCF for a while but I am moved to post a reply, because I love my '03 Tuono so much.

I came off the back of a CBR600, and an R1 before then. The CBR left me feeling a little bit numb, mainly down to power delivery. It was just too linear, top end & predictable. I wanted something completely different, something exciting.

I took a punt on the Tuono back in April, an 03 in excellent nick, 21k miles, @ £2,300. It is now on 29k miles, which has comprised of commuting, weekend leisure riding and a 1200 mile trip around Scotland.

I absolutely love the bike. The engine is the highlight, absolutely bags of torque, with a fantastic exhaust note (I have a remus can on it), as said it will wheely up till 3rd. Brakes are superb, and it is well sprung. The gearbox is a little bit agricultural, just needs a positive input or you can miss a gear. The only comment I could make is that when you are hooning it, it can feel a little bit less frenetic than an IL4 600, as you are not jumping up and down the gearbox all the time. This can either be a good thing or a bad thing - it can make the ride feel a little bit less involved, but on the other hand it allows you to concentrate on your line, application of power etc. It handles really well, turn in is quick, the weight is well distributed.

I was really surprised at how comfortable and easy to get along with the bike is. I had read before buying it that it is a bit of a hooligan, and it can be, but it's also an absolute pussycat. You can happily cruise along on it, the fairing and screen do a great job at deflecting wind blast; up to about 85 on the motorway there is barely a whisper. The seat is by far the comfiest of any sports bike I have owned, and is narrow enough to filter. I did the 1200 mile Scotland trip in 4 days, which shows it is all day comfortable. The suspension is quite hard, so it does crash over bumps a little, but that is to be expected from a sports bike. When I bought it it had clip-ons on it, and the riding position gave me hip cramp after half an hour. It might be worth going for an extended test ride on one to make sure you don't encounter the same. I have since put the bars on it and that has solved the issue.

In terms of reliability and finish, as mentioned you need a strong battery. I have gone through one battery already, but have replaced it with a better one and it has since been more or less OK. A trickle charger is a good investment here. My neutral light is also somewhat temperamental, which I understand is down to a dodgy relay. The finish on the bike is really good. I have had to put a new chain & sprocket set on it, and it also eats tyres fairly quickly.

Interesting, on paper there's little between them in performance, 1/4 mile times and 0-60, but I gather the RSV doesn't need to be worked as hard for it. I'm hoping that translates to instant throttle response at any rpm or gear and fantastic drive out of corners. Not bothered about top end, cbr is ~160MPH but I've not got near it once.

I'm not decided but I doubt I could sell the cbr, it would be like having a dog put down to me Sad Plus it's cheap to run, reliable and easy to fix. So I'm looking more at Tuono due to not being a race bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 246 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1