Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Home brew beer.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Home brew beer. Reply with quote

Would maple syrup be good for homebrew? If so how much per litre would I need to add?

Cheers

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

U wot m8?

What do you mean? How? What? Shocked

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably a good place to start

https://www.fermentarium.com/homebrewing/brewing-beer/what-does-sugar-do-to-your-beer/

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
U wot m8?

What do you mean? How? What? Shocked

I bought a homebrew kit. Then the instructions said i should add brew improver. I looked up the brew improver on the brew kit site and it was basically suger so im thinking rather than shell out on a bag of the stuff I could use some mapel syrup I have.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shell out?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect it to alter the taste a bit, For good or bad Thinking

There again, my one attempt at home brew beer was so disgusting I never tried it again so don't take a blind bit of notice of what I say. Laughing

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I looked up the brew improver on the brew kit site and it was basically suger so im thinking rather than shell out on a bag of the stuff I could use some mapel syrup I have.

It's spray malt mixed with brewers sugar. The malt gives the beer more body. You can go to a home brew shop and just buy spray malt to make the kit up with, flavour and mouth feel will be better but alcohol content will generally be less than if adulterated with brewing sugar.

Before I quit drinking I was really in to brewing, I warn you it's a very addictive hobby. Before you know it you'll have graduated from cheap kits to full grain and end up with more beer than you can give away.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need water yeast and sugar to make alcohol.

Local whatever has sugar in it is used to make alcohol locally.
Grains are germinated then stopped by heating which turns the starches in the grains to sugar/malts. Alcohol is made from that. Whiskey starts off as beer.
You could probably make a mead from maple syrup.

Beer uses grains as the source of sugar for the yeast to make alcohol and what ever grains used imparts the characteristic flavour.

It's a very simple process. Not too much can go wrong until you drink all the final product. Smile

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:31 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess OP is in prison in Canada.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovered a homebrew shop near me so will give them a visit. Im very curious about the maple syrup though as I love the flavour.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
Guess OP is in prison in Canada.

Definitely one of these guys:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Canadian_Maple_Syrup_Heist

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:42 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flavour rarely stays the same, I've only tried maple syrup once and I imagine when all the sweetness is gone you'll be left with a very bitter (and weak) alcohol.

If you plan on making 23L then you'll need about 11-12 litres of maple syrup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:31 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Discovered a homebrew shop near me so will give them a visit. Im very curious about the maple syrup though as I love the flavour.

Don't waste the MS on home brew.

Get the frying pan on whisk up some pancakes and completely slather the hoowurs in maple syrup. (As God intended.)

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:21 - 26 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about home brew having never done it, but at least in a standard brew from first principles (ie mashing, boiling and filtering properly from raw, dry malt etc), maple syrup could be interesting.

Off the top of my head most of the sweetness is just sucrose and will be fermented away, leaving some of the bitterness from the maillard reaction products from processing. You will gain a bit of colour and probably some additional body and mouthfeel. I'd also expect at least some additional fruity ester type character as well as caramel notes, but depends on the brand and the dose rate.

If you decide to add the stuff prior to fermentation, watch your dosing rates. Chuck in too much of this type of refined sugar and your fermentation will get stuck.

Personally, I think I'd be inclined to treat it as a late addition in FV as a priming sugar for bottle fermentation as opposed to trying to brew with it as a primary ingredient. Certainly, if your home brew involves a proper boil step, most of the interesting character will probably flash off with the volatiles, which rather defeats the object. Primary fermentation will also strip a lot of the character.

I'd shoot for maybe 5-10%(v/v) syrup added after the end of primary fermentation for optimal 'maple syrup' character.

Either way, its not th most ridiculous addition I've heard proposed, so worth a punt and let us know how it works out.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 26 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done loads of all grain home brews, started on kits.

Any time I've added a a significant amount of sugary adjunct (i.e. honey) it has brewed out bone dry and harsh as a badger's arse hole, even then I couldn't taste the honey so doubt you'll get much from maple.

Maybe as a priming sugar, use the nutritional information carbohydrate values to figure out how much you'll need to avoid bottle bombs.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 26 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
....... . (As God intended.)

If there is a God i would wager Kylie Minogues arse would be a higher priority target.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 26 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
MCN wrote:
....... . (As God intended.)

If there is a God i would wager Kylie Minogues arse would be a higher priority target.

That would be sweet.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 27 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two 6ltr brews going now. Stsrted 24 hrs ago. Bubbling away at about one bubble through the air locks every 3 seconds.
joombo This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All brewed now. Just need to test over the next 24 hrs to see the specific gravity is stable then filter and keg it.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:48 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
All brewed now. Just need to test over the next 24 hrs to see the specific gravity is stable then filter and keg it.

Don't know if you do already, but if you can make it fit, 6-12 hours in the fridge as a 'crash cool' step will do wonders for your yeast flocculation and the eventual clarity of the product.

What's the yeast strain by the way and how are you filtering?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a 0.5 micron water filter im going to pump the beer through. Its the kind used to filter tap water. It needs a bit of pressure to use so im going to pick up a hand pump pressure sprayer vessel from B&Q to force the beer through the filter with.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:10 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Ive got a 0.5 micron water filter im going to pump the beer through. Its the kind used to filter tap water. It needs a bit of pressure to use so im going to pick up a hand pump pressure sprayer vessel from B&Q to force the beer through the filter with.

Hmm, sterile filtered home brew. Interesting. No reason it won't work, but you might end up blinding the filter pretty quickly with the yeast and cold break. Have you used it before in this application?

I'd expect a fair reduction in CO2 level as well after that sort of process, not to mention a fair bit of O2 take up. Hows the shelf life? Do you get papery off notes?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:57 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tasted it yet. I might filter it twice as I also have a lower rated filter for bigger particles. Maybe use that first then go 0.5mn to finish it.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 334 days between these two posts...

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I haven't tasted it yet. I might filter it twice as I also have a lower rated filter for bigger particles. Maybe use that first then go 0.5mn to finish it.

Well, I was going to ask whether anyone "does" homebrew.

The end of this thread seems to imply "I did, once....". I wonder what happened...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2