Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Uneven tyre wear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Uneven tyre wear Reply with quote

Odd one this.

Checked tyres at the weekend (PR4s done about 4k) and noticed that the front tyre is wearing much worse on the right side. To the point where it almost needs replacing - whereas the left look useable for another 3-4k.

I'll stick a photo up later. Any initial thoughts on what would cause this? Other than me doing mostly right turns! 🤣

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use a lot of roundabouts?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick Google points to the road camber...

Odd that I've never experienced it before though. Perhaps pr3s are better at withstanding it? 🤔

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

I wouldn't say I overuse them. Probably 2 per day generally. But I suppose every roundabout will make it worse.... Hmm

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing odd about it, same happens to my bikes too, worse of all is my CB250 with the Bridgestone BT45. Still handles okay but looks nasty and could attract the attention of the pigs.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Nothing odd about it, same happens to my bikes too, worse of all is my CB250 with the Bridgestone BT45. Still handles okay but looks nasty and could attract the attention of the pigs.

Right then - fair enough. I've just not noticed before which I found odd. I always do a walk around before a long ride. And do all my own servicing. So I expected I would have noticed before now.

Oh well. New tyre it is. 👍

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:09 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

New bike. Thumbs Up

Both forks are setup the same?

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bridgestones (can't remember which ones) went like that, very noticeable. Garage said they were renowned for it. Haven't noticed the same on my PR3's though, but I'm guessing PR3's are hardier and less performance focused than the PR4's?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Ha ha ha !.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Uneven tyre wear Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Odd one this.

Checked tyres at the weekend (PR4s done about 4k) and noticed that the front tyre is wearing much worse on the right side. To the point where it almost needs replacing - whereas the left look useable for another 3-4k.

Not odd at all, we, contintentals, have quite the oposite problem.

This issue mainly occurs on commuter motorcycles and or with slower riders. The GPz550 had this, the MZ now shows the same symptoms, and in both cases the front brake didn't see much of the action. The GPz was my first bike, and the brake bias was 60-40, while the MZ is one of those bikes where you just want to keep the momentum and only use the brakes when necessary. On my other motorcycles I always wore out the center of the tyre before the sides were too low.

TL; DR: You don't use your front brake much / intensively.

*I can't find any pictures, although I know I made some, but imagine a front tyre, where the left side is slick and the rest of the tyre still has enough thread.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Uneven tyre wear Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Checked tyres at the weekend (PR4s done about 4k) and noticed that the front tyre is wearing much worse on the right side.

Admit it. You live in Milton Keynes.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the 'road camber' explanation because the angle is so small (unless you're trundling along the Daytona banking Smile ). The 'roundabouts' argument makes more sense to me, but what do you think about this explanation from the USA?
Quote:
Why is this wear more evident on the left front in most cases? Actually, excessive side tire wear is only evident on the left front in countries where one rides on the right side of the road. Riding right means that the left side of your tire will have more (and likely faster) miles on it than the right side. Left hand turns have a larger radius than right hand turns in right side driving countries, hence you ride farther (and likely faster) turning left than turning right with subsequent increased side band wear on the tire's left side. The left side of your tire has more miles on it (in some extreme cases, twice as many) than the right side of your tire. And the side of your tire only gets mileage when you are leaned in a turn, otherwise, this area of your tire does not contact the pavement at all as shown in the photo. European left side drivers find that the right side of their front tires will wear out first. Quite the opposite effect for precisely the same reasons reversed. (If you're still not convinced, we will re-visit this issue later with more reasons)

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
My Bridgestones (can't remember which ones) went like that, very noticeable. Garage said they were renowned for it. Haven't noticed the same on my PR3's though, but I'm guessing PR3's are hardier and less performance focused than the PR4's?

Yeah - I had BT30s previously and I only managed 3k out of them before they needed replacing. PR3s lasted about 8k and these PR4s (front at least) have lasted 4k(ish)

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Baffler186 wrote:

Yeah - I had BT30s previously and I only managed 3k out of them before they needed replacing. PR3s lasted about 8k and these PR4s (front at least) have lasted 4k(ish)

My BT023 on my CBF500 has worn after 4000 miles, I have a PR4 on the rear and I'm due for the front to be replaced because it steers like a cow.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did no one suggest frame/wheel alignment yet?

And the road camber will wear one side more than the other if you use those mental camber roads.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

And the road camber will wear one side more than the other if you use those mental camber roads.

Pretty sure no issue with frame. Wheel alignment wasn't something I'd have considered. What would make you consider the frame?

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

because it's not relevant....

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:34 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
MCN wrote:

because it's not relevant....

Oh isn't it?

So whats is the reason for having a frame and wheels aligned properly on a motorcycle (or other wheeled vehicle)?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Oh isn't it?

So whats is the reason for having a frame and wheels aligned properly on a motorcycle (or other wheeled vehicle)?

I don't think anyone disputes that a bent frame would cause tyre wear issues.

It's probably a case of "not relevant" as frames don't just bend by themselves. If I'd had an off - I'd have mentioned it. 👍

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is likely suggesting rear wheel alignment rather than a bent frame.

If your rear wheel isn't aligned to the rest of the chassis and front wheel, I would imagine that to have an effect on tyre wear, both at the front and the rear

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:

If your rear wheel isn't aligned to the rest of the chassis and front wheel, I would imagine that to have an effect on tyre wear, both at the front and the rear

Worth checking! 👍

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to have happened to several people that I know who have had a Michelin PR4 fitted to the front of their bikes,a Suzuki V-Strom 1000 and a Yamaha R1-5PW in particular.In both cases they wore like a new £1 coin with abrupt edges.This I was told was quite disconcerting when leaning into corners and especially in the wet.

As for the wear characteristics between the PR3 and the PR4 I can only vouch for the PR3 wearing more evenly.I fitted one to the front of not only my Exup1000 but also the FJ1200.Both have worn very evenly,the FJ having covered around 3,000 miles around the Continent in 2016 and around 2,400 miles around France last year,with about 1,500 miles being ridden when back in the UK.The front tyre still looks good for a few thousand miles more.

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/20170324_155245_zpso1yuabhp.jpg~original

From my friends experience with the PR4 front I would be looking in the future to try the newer Road 5 instead

Always have a 'Plan B'

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
MCN wrote:

Oh isn't it?

I don't think anyone disputes that a bent frame would cause tyre wear issues.

It's probably a case of "not relevant" as frames don't just bend by themselves. If I'd had an off - I'd have mentioned it. 👍

Frame AND wheels.

You're welcome.

👍

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 more for uneven PR4 front wear on one side (will check which side).
I did refurb the forks so I'll never know if that cured it.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
+1 more for uneven PR4 front wear on one side (will check which side).
I did refurb the forks so I'll never know if that cured it.

Well my forks look fine.
Frame looks fine
Wheels line up perfectly
Front /rear suspension set correctly

I'm going to put it down to PR4s not being as good for wear as pr3s. So question to all .....

Do I double down and see if the 5s are better? Or does anyone else have a recommendation for a decent set of tyres that are good all year round and don't square off?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2