Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

u33db
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:03 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
u33db wrote:
Helmet arrived 20 mins ago;

Thanks for sharing the pics. Looks like a bargain.

Would be glad to hear what the wind noise is like. I'd guess it would be better than any flip up..

Hi,

Taken the bike today and have tested the helmet.

Woah - its very quiet compared to my MDS flip up...it felt like being deaf for the first 5 miles or so until i got used to it!

Not sure how it'd compare to another full face...the last time i had one of these was about 2 years ago and that was a 10 year old AGV Stealth so sure technology may have moved on buts its as good as that AGV from what i remember in the noise stakes anyway.

Only small annoyance is the clear visor only has 3 positions - up, down and half way down.

Compare this to my MDS which can be left a few mm open, 1 cm open then maybe another 2/3 positions and it could be pain depending on your riding position (i.e. edge of visor in line of sight).....that said even with the visor down this one doesn't seem to steam up as much from breath etc as the MDS so i'm guess the front vents work a bit better that the other lid.

All in all its a good purchase in my opinion....i mean i don't think i'll have "helmet envy" next to a more premium brand...

u33db
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:06 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

**Just to add...looking at the hinge as the helmet sits on my desk the open positions are just down to indents on the hinge mechanism.

If you were handy with a dremmel and small sanding tool you could easily add a another one so the visor could be used say 1cm open...its not going to affect anything structural.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

Classic tip.. put a cable tie around the chin, off to one side. Then with the visor closed, there should be a small gap.

You can probably do it more discretely than this award winning photoshop..

https://i.imgur.com/bKcCaSZ.png

u33db
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:10 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - i'll give that a go tonight! Smile

mikester
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:18 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rage SV as per OP although not the £27 any longer can also be got at Amazon with Prime for £30.74.

I'm tempted....

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a late follow up on this ...

... I bought one of these, too. Price had gone up to ~£36 for the SV but I was emailed a 15% off offer code so I thought I'd give it a punt since my (used daily for 2.5 years) Box BX was starting to get a bit tatty and loose, and I just don't have funds at the mo to splash out on anything more expensive.

I am certainly not disappointed. OK, it's not a Shoei, but it certainly doesn't feel cheap or plasticy.

It blocks out a lot of ambient noise. Wind noise is still there, but no worse than the old Box, or most other helmets I've tried TBH. Meh, I wear earphones a lot anyway!

Haven't used it in cold weather yet, obviously, but no fogging issues so far. Might invest in a Pinlock for winter, though.

All in all, I think it's a great buy for a Sharp 4* helmet

(I should say I'm not that hung up on precise Sharp ratings, but I do avoid cheap brands that don't even show up on their database, and it does give some reassurance on brands that you hadn't heard of or considered before Wink )

edit: I did go for the matt black. Looks pretty cool, but like all matt black helmets I've owned in the past it does have a tendency to show every sticky greasy fingerprint. What can I say, though, I like matt black! Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2