Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New biker, same old question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

PotentateDan
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:15 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: New biker, same old question Reply with quote

Hi all,

I passed my Mod1 & Mod2 recently, and am now the proud holder of a full licence.

As seems customary, I wanted to know peoples opinions for a first big bike. I've been commuting to work (in London) on a YBR125 custom for a while, and had my eye on the Honda Hornet 600 as an upgrade.

My eye then turned covetously to the Ducati monster 696, followed swiftly by the Speed Triple.

Does anyone have experience with the aforementioned 3 bikes, or any other suggestions to throw into the ring?

Thanks

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, good choices with each offering something different.
I see you chose the 1050 Speed Triple over the smaller lighter Street Triple. Thinking

There's a few of ways I approach buying bikes.

1 I like it and I want/need it.
2 I research it, I evaluate if it suits my needs/abilities.
3 Reality check - Will I use it.

I Wub number 1 but mostly go 2 with a dash of 3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

PotentateDan
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:34 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you with number 1 Very Happy

Aside from the larger displacement on the Speed, are there any other concerns regarding going with it over the Street Triple? Or indeed, was that the only concern?

Also, and I apologise for the torrent of questions, what does each bike offer which differs from the others?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Speed and Street are for blasting in 100 mile bursts with the Street being a lot more nimble. The Speed doesn't sell because the Street does it better.

The Hornet was produced for mild blasting in short bursts and if you can put up with the pathetic tank range makes the better everyday bike. It really likes to be revved too.

The Ducati is for hairdressers short blasts. They're a number 1 choice type of bike. You re paying for that Badge and that addictive thrust of the twin.

Knowing you as well as I do I'd go for a Hornet. They're cheaper so when you drop it you don't cry as much. They are newbie friendly in almost every way apart from no ABS or traction control (which many people manage to survive without). Great bike for when you get cocky. Great bike for leading you into your next bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

OhHowOriginal
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:37 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fairly new biker myself, having had my licence just over a month.
I tested both the Speed Triple and Street Triple and in my opinion, the Street is a far better bike.
The Speed felt too powerful for it's boots and not nimble enough for it's looks.
The Street just felt brilliant to be fair.
I ended up with a Fazer 600, it'll do as the work commuter/winter bike, but I am still currently searching for my fun weekend bike, with the KTM Superduke 990 a front runner.
If I was you, I'd give the Street Triple a test ride, you'll struggle to find a bike that does what that bike does any better.
Funnily enough I also moved from a YBR125.
I like my Fazer I must admit, it goes well enough, it's very comfortable, about 210 miles to a tank of fuel depending on how you ride (about 170 even when you're going for it) insurance is peanuts, they're cheap to buy.
Having a bit of fairing is also great for keeping the wind off, I was surprised how effective it actually is.
It's also a pretty light bike in comparison to a lot of stuff, my old mans 600 Bandit for example, it's about 30kg lighter and has a fairing, which his doesn't and that does also make a difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

PotentateDan
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:08 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

I'm curious, what made you go with the Fazer over the Street? You described it so well, something must have changed.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance costs may be a factor, so worth checking that.

I had a ZZR600, great bike but getting on in years a bit now, replaced it with a 2001 hornet 600 fs (faired version) which makes for a better commuting bike, nipping through traffic etc, gets just over 100 miles out of a tank (after 2003 the tank went up to 17L) they're good all round bikes, but the ZZR was much better for a long distance run on the motorway.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhHowOriginal wrote:

The Street just felt brilliant to be fair.
I ended up with a Fazer 600,,

with the KTM Superduke 990 a front runner..

If you think you want the KTM, Ride one first don't just buy it.

If you think the Speed had too much poke and was a bit unwieldy, the Superduke is gonna feel like you're riding a rodeo Bull with a belt full of grenades with the pins half out. Trust me on this, it's nothing like your Fazer, nowhere near as easy going as the Speed or Street and takes a steady hand and a fair bit of experience. It's a bike that wants to be ridden 8 tenths upwards all of the time.

I've been riding a long time now and I have learned to respect my 990 - you've got to be awake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things here.

1, I think I get where your at and coming from with this what bike to get conundrum. I was once there at DAS time, and I had Africa Twins, YZF 600R's and CB500's Suzuki SV's and KR1's all swimming round in my head in a fucked up merry go round way.

But I bought none of these things, as is to be half expected in a first big bike situation. My question to you is: Are you a commuter or a leisure only rider? If the former then some choices will almost make themselves and tick box stuff like practically, fuel range, storage, is easier to prioritise and head your list of must have's or desirable features. If your a shits and giggles bike rider then it's harder, but a proper reasonable and stable person can still probably apply some logic and thought out consideration to.

Secondly is insurance. Is it affordable enough? This is a yes or no decision for most people on certain bikes. It was for me with 0 NCB 20 odd years ago. It sort of chose my first bike for me tbh. And to chisel it down precisely I just applied my off road high up bars/feels natural and familiar background to the process.

2, Feck asking people for opinions and extra and additional bike ideas and short listed models not already obvious and on your radar. You'll chase your tail even further doing things like that. Go away and sit on and try to test ride all of your three preliminary choices, as that'll give you far more idea of what you like/dislike and what you can/can't put up with, than a load of dodgy autistic advice from a group of strangers IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 06:42 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention London.

I would not ever consider a decent bike if you want to keep it. Triumphs are regular hot picks.

I would buy myself a CB500 or shitter.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with paddy, considering the state of bike thefts in london these days it's really not a good idea to have something decent unless you're in a very secured parking area.

but that aside.

The CB500/600 are very capable bikes and will get you about without any problems. Very easy to ride but some say a little dull. It does everything well, just no drama.. could be a good or bad thing depending on your viewpoint.

Can't comment on the monster as I've not ridden one.

The Speed on the other hand is an animal. Cracking bike, superbly fun, great handling/very agile, awesome brakes, good engine.. but with a few reliability issues (the one I rode on my test drive broke down, thankfully on my way back 1 road from the dealer.).

A friend of mine has a full carbon one and it's a lovely bike.

BUT.. considering it's your 1st bike I wouldn't recommend it. Depending on how mature a rider you are you can get into trouble very quickly on one of those.

I'd personally recommend going for the CB500 or similar initially then after a year or 2 you can think about getting something with a little more poke to it.

You need to find your legs 1st.

You'll be shocked just how powerful they'll be compared to hte schools 500s. Need time to get used to it Smile

gl Smile

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention earlier,

The Hornet is a good all rounder that's quite forgiving, has enough power to entertain and tends to hold it's price, you could do worse than have one for a year, work out what you do and don't like in a bike and move on, you'll probably get similar to what you paid provided you've looked after it.

PotentateDan
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:34 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice, and apologies for the radio silence.

To answer some points which were raised:

Secure parking: at work the bike is kept in a secure underground car park under the office. Only pass holder can scan in, and there are 2 security booths on the way in and out. There is also CCTV, barriers and shutters so I wouldn't worry about it during the day. In terms of overnight, my house has a driveway surrounded with a tall and extremely thorny hedge. There is CCTV overlooking the drive, a ground anchor set in concrete and I also have 2 disc locks both with alarms. The bike is not visible from the road. Although I appreciate that non of the above will dissuade a thief who has made his mind up on nicking the bike, I hope it will at least buy enough time/make enough noise to either wake me or the neighbours up.

Insurance: I've ran quotes on all the shortlisted bikes. The only change I have made is dropping the Speed 1050 for a Striple 675. All the quote were under £1000 and within the sort of level I was expecting for London for a new rider.

My next course of action is the bum on seat test suggested, in that hopefully that would narrow down the choice somewhat if I find myself hating one of the bikes immediately.

The CB500 idea is irritating in that it is the rational and sensible thing to do, and I know deep down this is the most reasonable course of action going forward. Of course, whether I follow this advice or simply act half my age and go for the better toy is yet to be decided, but I just wanted to note that I appreciate it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotentateDan wrote:

Secure parking: at work the bike is kept in a secure underground car park under the office. Only pass holder can scan in, and there are 2 security booths on the way in and out. There is also CCTV, barriers and shutters so I wouldn't worry about it during the day.

Does that include security whilst you're riding it?

Yeah, it's that bad.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:24 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, my point exactly... ^

Work asked me to nip to somewhere on bike, nah... I'll leave it here thanks Laughing

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:31 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have commuted into London for 10+ years, I've never seen a bike jacking, nor have the other bikers at work that I'm matey with. In my memory I've only seen a blatant nicked bike once. (Big ped 2 up pillion with no helmet and hood up)

I'm not saying it ain't happening but it's not as rife as the news would have you believe.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
I forgot to mention earlier,

The Hornet is a good all rounder that's quite forgiving, has enough power to entertain and tends to hold it's price, you could do worse than have one for a year, work out what you do and don't like in a bike and move on, you'll probably get similar to what you paid provided you've looked after it.

Yup, I miss mine Sad (later Hornets have ABS) - price from when I bought it to when I sold it remained pretty solid.

I'm thinking about going for a 2012~2014 CB1000R next, although quite tempted to go for another Hornet, it was a good all-rounder, and dem revs Wub

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my DAS and test on a Hornet, it was a great bike, plenty of oomph and comfortable. I would prefer it to my R6.

Ilikemyspleen
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:34 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plugged for an SV.

Great to learn how to work on for a mechatard, and really easy to ride.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is BCF.... Stock answer:

"FIREBLADE OR GTFO"

Or G's answer:

A downgeared GSXR1000K5

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilikemyspleen wrote:
I plugged for an SV.

Great to learn how to work on for a mechatard, and really easy to ride.

Not a bad choice for a first bike!

650 or 1000 ?

Rich003
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:10 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading everyone’s thoughts. I’m in a similar position At the moment my ideas of the first bike are CBR600 abs, Street Triple, Yamaha MT07. With the budget around £3k-£3.5 the MT07 may be difficult to find.
Although I am not restricted to an A2 license I like the KTM 390 (although not too keen on the sound of a lawnmower 🤪) 50% of people tell me I will want more ‘power’ in 6 months and have to sell it, other say that it’s a perfect size. When I open the garage door I want to be proud of my bike and want to ride it, maybe I am old tart but the looks and sounds are a factor as well.🏍😀

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do some research on the reliability of the KTM 390's - I can't remember who it was on here that had one and had nothing but problems, and the search isn't particularly good these days, but it was a real problem child for sure.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then get the bike you want most that is in your budget and you can afford to insure, irrespective of cc or brand. To be really proud of a bike and smile when you open the garage door to me that means a slightly rarer bike and or a non standard bike. Though for example if you had say a 1995 CBR600 that was spotless and gleaming and standard, you could easily be proud of an older bike because it's way cleaner than most.

Regards the 44bhp KTM, well assuming your a leisure biker only, you need to think about where your going to ride mainly and who with. The where for example could be if you were in rural Wales with a mass of tight twisty quiet roads. In this case 180bhp won't be as good or quick or useable as 44bhp.

If all your riding mates are on 100bhp bikes then again 44bhp might soon be annoying or not enough of a me too bike.

We once DAS newbie leisure rider's have probably all been there ourselves, and while starting out on smaller or possibly more sensible bikes (no such thing really) we had the same thoughts and ideas. The working up through smaller bikes and 600's but every few years wanting to upgrade to a bigger faster sports bike was a thing in the 1990's everyone was at it in sports bike mad Britain.

As time goes on, it becomes far less important and people and friends all on the bhp space race drop out and change their views on life and bikes. So much so that some of us with different circumstances to those days have come back down to smaller possibly more fun bikes, or gone off on a different tangent like off road, trackdays only, or two up distance touring. The needs and wants of a bike are thus far different to the starting out days full of excitement of all these must have bikes etc.

So again, where do you ride, what do you want to do with a bike, and who if anyone will you ride with? What do they ride are you going to want the same/equivalent?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with secure parking at work I would go for the 2 bike scenario in London.

An absolute shitty looking reliable lump like an old fazer, cbr or something and a lovely toy for playing on.

I know some people would struggle financially with this and I know as stevo says, bike jackings aren't as common as the media makes out, but I wouldn't ride something nice into London unless I was going mob handed in a group to the Ace or something.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2