Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do you tie your modular helmet to your bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

thehay95
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:31 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: How do you tie your modular helmet to your bike? Reply with quote

So, I've been looking for a way to attach my helmet to my bike.

There is apparently something called a helmet lock that attaches to the metal ring on your chin strap, but I fail to see how someone can't just come and cut the chin strap off and make away with your helmet. It's made of fabric.

The only way I found works for full helmets and it involves running a lock through the visor.

However, with a modular helmet where (as far as I know) you could remove the front part pretty easily, that won't work.

So, is there another way?

Thanks.

Last edited by thehay95 on 16:07 - 21 Aug 2018; edited 3 times in total

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:46 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right and that idea is to stop opportunists walking off with the helmet if it isn't attached at all. It won't stop people cutting a strap if they have the tools.

The "helmet attachment" strap which some bikes have under the seat could also be cut by someone with a good knife and that's without any damage to the helmet.

Sorry, I'm no help regarding this. I keep my helmet in a locked top box if I have one, or I take it with me. Too paranoid to leave it hanging there for any long time!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, top box, pannier, or, depending on the situation and location, hanging off a handlebar

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:29 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a world where people find fun in damaging things (rather than just nicking them), I cant bring myself to leave a helmet on the bike to get bashed/visor stolen/pissed in, because it's a bloody long way home without one.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:11 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they can't take it and piss in it... thats worse.

If you value it, take it with you or top box it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly helmet locks on bikes are a leftover from the days when people didn't indulge in wanton vandalism.

Why would people ruin a helmet by cutting the strap? They can't use it. Well because they can, because it's funny, because you have something they don't, because there is absolutely no comeback if they do it.

If you have to leave it on your bike - topbox. It's the only viable answer nowadays.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:37 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put simply: I don't... and the 'problem' of attaching crash-hat to the 'Helmet Holder' or 'Helmet-Lock' is the same, regardless of whether it's:-

An Open-Face
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/000_A_Misc/fuse20blue.jpg

A Full-Face
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/000_A_Misc/medscaleArashi-Daviso-Plain-Open-Face-Motorcycle-Helmet-White-1.jpg

Or 'Modular' / 'Flip-Front'
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/000_A_Misc/schuberth-c3-motorcycle.jpg

This is the old-fashioned 'Double-D' type helmet strap-buckle

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/000_A_Misc/yohe-R82-helmet-strap.jpg

It's a legal requirement, in the UK, and I assume most of Europe via EE law harmonization, that you 'Must' wear an appropriate, approved, motorcycle helmet, PROPERLY FASTENED, whilst riding or a passenger on a motorcycle.

UK Helmet regs, including approvals, and the need to properly fasten them, as well as instruction on the different types of buckles and even how to do them up, should be in the mandatory UK Compulsory-Basic-Training course you have to do to be allowed to use a motorcycle on UK Roads. This aught not be 'news' to you.

HISTORICALLY: - The UK were, I believe the first country to enact a 'Compulsory Helmet Law'. The Campaign to make Motorcycle Helmets 'compulsory' dates back to 19th May 1935, and the death of one celebrity T.E.Lwrence of Arabia, killed when he lost control of his Brough Superior SS100 motorcycle, and attended by Neuro-Surgeon Hugh Cairns, who was convinced that Lawrence would have survived, if he had worn a suitable crash-hat, and made it his life's crusade to convince motorcyclists to wear a hat....

Curiously, the fact that Lawrence was a proto-nutta and one of the first 'Ton-Up-Boys', not merely boasting of the his high-speed antics on his certified 100mph motorcycle, but actually have odes to the feat published, I believe in such prestigious journals as "The Times", is rather down-played in the incident.. but that is probably the more significant factor in his death.... he was speeding! And on a dead straight road, swerved to avoid a push bike, lost control and hit a tree!

It's also interesting to note, that the UK had been one of the first countries to enact a compulsory speed limit; prior to 1904, imposed side-wise via the red-flag law that insisted that some-one walk (or run) in front of a motor-vehicle waving a red-flag to warn other road users; the repeal of which is celebrated by the famous 'London to Brighton' vintage and veteran rally each year. UK Speed-Limit laws vascilated there-after, but the 70mph upper-speed limit wasn't imposed until 1965, NOT in response to the Ton-Up lads racing twixt cafes on tuned Triumph Bonneville, but 'alledgedly' in response to press reports of AC-Ford, among notable others doing top-speed trials on the Le-Mans cars along the M1!

Just as interesting then, the UK got a mandatory 70mph speed limit almost a decade before, Hugh Cairns campaigned for compulsory motorcycle helmet laws came along in 1973.... and have been debated ever since.

Most notably, Cairns Campaign stumbled on the premise, "What is a Motorcycle Crash Helmet?".. in 1935 there wasn't really any such thing. Professional racers had sort of developed 'something' from the British-Army's 'Tropical' pith helmet, made of cork and cut down a bit to make it a bit less cumbersome and more stream-lined, but there was nothing that differentiated between a motorcycle helmet and a woolly-bobble-hat. Hence, to enact the 1973 Motorcycle crash-hat laws, Parliament needed some kind of 'standard' to say what a crash hat should be, and what it should do, hence set the British-Standards Institute to the task; This resulted, in BS6658, which was originally based.... on the standard for the British-Army infantry helmet! LoL... nice to know, that it's impact resistance might deflect a .38 caliber piston bullet fired at 50 yards... not so sure it's all that pertinent to face planting a Scania lorry at 50mph! But still.... it was the best they could come up with at the time.. and 'in' the time; but still.

That was the first bit of Legal Legislation to tackle both the problem of what a crash hat should be and do, and make one compulsory apparel on a motorcycle; and the debate over whether it was necessary, let alone useful, raced for probably forty years, most notably in the USA, where compulsory helmet laws, are, I believe, still not ubiquitous, but enacted 'State-By-State'

The Japanese motorcycle makers, however had started to incorporate 'Helmet-Locks' on their products from the mid 1960's, not so much for 'security' to stop hats getting nicked, but to give a rider some-where to store a hat when they parked, that was a little more secure than hanging the chin-strap on the handle-bars.

Back to that Double-D buckle:
[img]https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/000_A_Misc/yohe-R82-helmet-strap.jpg[/img]

Intent of most motorcycle locks or hooks on a bike, is that the hat gets hung by one of the 'Dees' on the hook. Where more modern bayonet or ratchet buckles have become fashionable, most hats still have a D on the strap so they can be hung on a helmet-holder or other storage hook.

Hanging the strap on the hook, relies on the buckle being fastened and not slipping for the helmet to stay on the hook. And, to get the helmet off the hook, if locked, if hung on it's D, would tend to require the strap cut... this would rather render the hat rather useless as a crash-hat, and make it impossible to fasten as legally required... so does rather help deter theft, if you use them.

Vandalism is another matter; and leaving a hat where it can be seen, fiddled with, knocked or bashed, does not do much to prevent that, deliberately or accidentally.

And in the UK particularly, the hat's likely going to get wet when it rains......

Used to be common for folk, more often with Full-face lids to string the security chain through the visor aperture when they locked up the front wheel or similar... thee hats still got knocked and bashed, and still got wet, worse could sit in a puddle of water whilst you were away from the bike.

Better helmet makers started putting hat-sacks in the box with the helmets so you could more easily carry them around, and some accessory versions were more padded, had propper shoulder straps, and some even zip holes you could string a bike chain through if you left it locked to bike.....

BUT.... the Top-Box was always the preferred answer. When stopped, you can stuff hat and water-proofs in the top-box, lock it shut, and hat's out of sight, out of most harms way, and should stay dry.

OR you take it with you.... in a bag or otherwise; store however and wherever is most suitable and convenient.... I have a shelf near the front door..... and when at college, hat would sit in my books bag and be lugged around with me and pushed under desk when in class, etc.

As far as ANY helmet goes.... these are my proffered solutions; Take it with you, or lock in a top box. I don't much like helmet hangers; they are notoriously fiddly, especially on my CB750 where the hook is under the seat I have to unlock and remove to put hat on them, and if its still there when I come back... if not based and battered, in this country, likely to be full of water.

But; most helmets, of most designs, whether open face, full-face or 'flip' can be attached to a helmet hook via the strap of D ring put there for the purpose.

The idea of trying to undo a Flip's chin-piece to get it off a chain strung through visor aperture in 'closed' position, to my mind, is rather bizarre.... they'd not be getting the thing off in a hurry, and likely not doing so without damage; is the hat going to be any use after?

And even if they DID, get the hat off the bike, intact, and serviceable? Who would want it?!

Oft repeated DONT buy a second hand helmet... you don't know if any-one has crashed in it or if its been rendered rather useless by being dropped or bashed... that aside, you don't know who's head has been in it, or if they have had nits..... or if they have kept it in the garage and cat has used it as a bed/litter tray...... THAT particular one raises an amusing anecdote regarding a friend who left his hat in the garage over winter one year.... three hours later, jumping up and down on the door-step in his bath-robe yelling at his girlfriend, perplexed the cat hadn't come to greet her as it usually did, whilst he demanded she HAD to take him to Frettons, before it shut, in the car!

2nd hand hats are NOT exactly valuable; so who would try robbing one for 'profit'? Not exactly a master criminal.

More worry-some conundrum is accidental damage; and precaution against that is to lock in top box or carry with you.

This is to a certain degree, a non-issue. Type of hat doesn't really make any odds to the problem, of what to do with hat; and beyond that? Risks are risks, which are you happiest to take, and what is most convenient for you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures of helmets Tef. The open face is a full face and the full face is an open face Laughing

Not that I like to be pedantic or anything!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:28 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Nice pictures of helmets Tef. The open face is a full face and the full face is an open face Laughing

Not that I like to be pedantic or anything!

I got double {img} tags in there too...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my 3 lids were approx £300 each. One is fitted with a sena kit as well. Would I fuck leave any of them hanging
off the bike. Then again I only leave the bike alone when its put away in the shed or when I go in to pay for my fuel.
#hobbybiker

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My AGV has micrometric buckle and an extra D ring for locking the lid to a helmet lock.

I don't think it's more secure vs wind than strap around mirror and more of a fiddle. And secure vs scumbags? Hard luggage or take it with you.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 214 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1