BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Harley Davidson courts the not-cruiser audience

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do really get where your coming from and it's good that people admit that just having a bike that works and rides isn't enough sometimes.

Personally I'm more about just being on two wheels than how or what I have to ride. An EV bike for me would be imminently better than no bike to ride at all. (Hypocritical of me I know seeing as I don't currently ride much) but it's the freedom of being out there on a bike on my own that I get more from than anything else.

Its why I've always enjoyed my mountain biking too, and I've always said that given an ultimatum I'd stop riding motorbikes before I'd stop riding a mountain bike, as it's the same if not more so feeling of being out there riding something alone wherever and whenever I want.

Most 20 somethings will in their life probably end up in driverless cars, and it'll suit them and their connective lifestyles. But that'll never be me, I want control of whatever it is I'm riding or driving, and when I can't pilot my own vehicles I'll give up owning anything then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love walking on the lake District fells and used to enjoy long distance walks - you don't get much more of a feeling of freedom than that, but motorcycling is something very different for me, and the freedom side is just a part of it, which is why I go touring, used to attend race meets, like going to bike meets at pubs and cafes (yeah, I know, sorry Rolling Eyes Laughing ) - all of it.

Even ABS and all the modern power modes don't really interest me - they're taking something away from me I feel, although I understand the want for them with others, and don't knock them for it. It's just what I grew up with and got used to. Biking really was a kind of a lifestyle for me (yeah, I know, sorry again Laughing ), although I'm not really able to afford to indulge as much as I'd like anymore.

More on topic, but staying with the theme of not changing - I still don't like Harleys, even the ones in the OP Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:48 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could get behind some of those, but the price tag is obscene though.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:08 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Actually, I probably could live with EVs for commuting, shopping etc. But not for proper biking, i.e. riding for fun, touring, sport and racing (if I raced). It will be sad to lose all the evocative side of the ICE: noise, smells of oil and fuel, fettling and servicing an engine etc. There's just so much more to it all than just being on two wheels for me.

Me too!

Back on topic: Motorcycles for me, have to be fun and while I love all bikes, owning something that is too heavy, too slow, has too little ground clearance, has too little cornering ability and all the other stuff that come with HD ownership just doesn't do it for me. I tried going down the alternative route with one of the new T120 Triumphs and it was the biggest mistake I've ever made. Nice to look at but otherwise a low quality, low fun, lump of crap.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:09 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Actually, I probably could live with EVs for commuting, shopping etc. But not for proper biking, i.e. riding for fun, touring, sport and racing (if I raced). It will be sad to lose all the evocative side of the ICE: noise, smells of oil and fuel, fettling and servicing an engine etc. There's just so much more to it all than just being on two wheels for me.

Me too!

Back on topic: Motorcycles for me, have to be fun and while I love all bikes, owning something that is too heavy, too slow, has too little ground clearance, has too little cornering ability and all the other stuff that come with HD ownership just doesn't do it for me. I tried going down the alternative route with one of the new T120 Triumphs and it was the biggest mistake I've ever made. Nice to look at but otherwise a low quality, low fun, lump of crap.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Harley Davidson courts the not-cruiser audience Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

https://motovoyager.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Honda-GoldWing-2018.jpg

under that plastic is a flat 6 1800cc engine that is adorable Wub

Hang fire a little longer, DFS normally start their sale this time of year.

As I've said elsewhere, HD are trying to expand, cuz Murica, freedom.
Will they alienate their core fanbase, do they even care?

Obese white men don't seem to live that long, hence the attempt at cajoling the hipsters.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Harley Davidson courts the not-cruiser audience Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Hang fire a little longer, DFS normally start their sale this time of year. .

Ahaaha, haha, ledge Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's essentially nothing wrong with a fairly basic, stripped down to the barest essentials bobber style bike or hard tail if it's reasonably light and simple and still comfortable enough for a couple of hours of riding. If it's got decent brakes grip and a powerful but lightish engine then it's even better.

I get what your saying about HD trying to make non HD like bikes that alienate the core fan Base and appeal to the retro/hipster naked Street bike niche market instead. Its risky business for a company like HD, as when they built a powerful 125bhp performance cruiser with a modern tech engine the fans stubbed it entirely.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Its risky business for a company like HD, as when they built a powerful 125bhp performance cruiser with a modern tech engine the fans stubbed it entirely.

The V-Rod was the only Harley I'd have ever considered. Preferably, that motor in a (much) better chassis, as Buell did before Harley fucked them over. I like, nay, love, V-Twins and V4's, but I despise the marketing wank and snobbishness that goes with Harley's. I don't want the lifestyle they are selling to middle aged dentists that were bullied at school and now want to be "bad boys". I don't want to listen to people without a clue but with a big wallet.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically if I wanted a bad ass motorcycle of that type I think bikes like the Suzuki intruder 1800 and the 1900 Yamaha thing are far better looking and more desirable than a Harley Night train etc.

I also like the idea of having a big loud superior built and probably better performing shuddering V-twin with the wrong badge on it.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 03:49 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 'adventure' bike is a bit of a abomination... guesses for weight?

I'd be surprised if they do much for Harley though. This is what they should be doing but not sure if these really appeal to anyone..

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the point about newer generations looking differently at electric bikes, but I'm with the Chickeny one on this:

It has to go vroom, not mehhhhhh.

Of the four Harleys, I like the styling of the bottom two, but in general ... and even though I love my little Sportster, the general Harley experience has left me cold. I would never have paid just for the name anyway, the main reason it took me nearly 20 years of my riding history to get round to a Harley at all .

As for the 'wing... well of course ... and I know I'm like way old and that, so yes I'd deffo like one, but still not one that looks like that. It would have to be chopped and get all that sofa off it. My fella once had a 'wing that he chopped down and put apes on (long before my time Laughing ) - I've got a picture of it somewhere - its one of those "he looks dead cool and he wasn't even trying" sort of pictures Wub

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still ... I'm always open to different experiences.
I don't completely shy away from The New.
I'd have a go on one, even if they are alleged to be "gutless" in comparison.

I like hipsters, I liked yuppies, I even quite liked the Toyota Prius, which I never thought I would. So I reckon there's no point in dissing change, even for change's sake, cos its surprising what comes out of new ideas, techniques and modes, in whatever field.

So I might try one or two out, at some point, just to see if I hate them as much as I'm expected to.

I'm feeling philosophical today, instead of just reactionary Laughing

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The naked on the top right looks ok. Basically an MT01 I guess.

They all look very, very heavy.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
a powerful but lightish engine

And that, I think, is the nub of my problem with Harleys, and why these new models don't appeal to me much. A heavy, underpowered agricultural lump is never going to inspire my interest, no matter what chassis they put it in.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:23 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
DRZ400SM with an EV,

Why not?
Most people wouldn't want to be doing super-distances on the DRZ. It has a a very linear power delivery and pretty linear exhaust note.

Okay, it's never been a bike I'd really consider a 'hoon' bike myself; more of a slightly funner commuter - but the only element I really see a geared electric bike wouldn't have is the farting exhaust.
Quite likely more mid-range torque/power would offer a good bit more 'hoon'abilitiy.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:36 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

It has to go vroom, not mehhhhhh.

Or in the case of Harleys, 'potato, potato'. Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

And that, I think, is the nub of my problem with Harleys, and why these new models don't appeal to me much. A heavy, underpowered agricultural lump is never going to inspire my interest, no matter what chassis they put it in.

I can see your point, and from knowing your biking history and previous machinery then no you'd never be satisfied with a large cc low state of tune lazy engine.

I personally havnt ridden anything very large and lazy, but I like the idea of a big cc low revving all the power at the bottom end delivery, if it's in the right bike and used on the right roads for the right things.

I can't imagine ever being satisfied with bikes forever if someone said every bike you own for the rest of your days will be an IL4 for example. I want more variety than that, and not really being a track day rider etc I'm not ever really looking at bikes that are way to capable or way too much for my needs and usage.

I remember someone on here once saying that the best feeling in riding a bike on the road was '' Feeding a powerful litre IL4 sports bike gears using the quickshifter as fast as possible''.

Not my idea of fun for more than a test ride novelty tbh.

But vaguely back on topic, a big Japanese bike like the Suzuki 1800 Intruder would appeal more for both chugging around town and open roads cruising. But then again for back lanes fun and being a twat a 35bhp 125 supermoto would light my fire, as would a cheap shit twist and go 125 for going shopping on etc.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Feeding a powerful litre IL4 sports bike gears using the quickshifter as fast as possible''.

IL4's (mostly) leave me cold. Been there, done that.

I've loved big thumpy singles, twins, and at the moment, a V4. I still haven't tried out a triple yet. I'll have a play on a leccy bike, the instant torque is appealing. I'd have another IL4, but it would have to be something really special/pretty (MV F4, Kwak H2 etc).

As you say, variety is the thing. Different people, moods, conditions etc.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

But vaguely back on topic, a big Japanese bike like the Suzuki 1800 Intruder would appeal more for both chugging around town and open roads cruising. But then again for back lanes fun and being a twat a 35bhp 125 supermoto would light my fire, as would a cheap shit twist and go 125 for going shopping on etc.

You really need to have a go on a Buell.

I've been doing MOTs on a Firebolt for the last few years and it's just ridiculous - feels like it weighs the same as an X7, but the instant torque is like hitting the power band at tick over, then it just inexorably gathers speed, like being pulled along by a huge bungee.

I'm not mad keen on the head down, arse up riding position, but a Ulysses is definitely on my wish list.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I really wouldn't mind having a go on a lightning or firebolt etc. But unlike Chicken strip who hates the genre of large very lazy engines generally, it's just the HD lump I'm not a fan of. I think the comparatively high tech Jap versions of huge V-twins just do it so much better.

People say nothing sounds like an HD lump, well nothing else shudders and shakes the shit out the frame either. Any big V-twin on straight through pipes sounds ok to me, I don't need it to be made in Milwalkee to be OK with me.

Anyway did I understand correctly that you wouldn't mind a Peugeot Ulysses? Arnt they like a 125/150 cheapo version of a maxi scooter? As you know I'm not at all keen on Maxi scooters and really struggle to see their raison d'etre, but while I'd try out a semi maxi scooter under about 150kg for a commute, I can't imagine the Pug being a particular good one?

I'm more of the twat who ride around town on a 70cc Aerox with a noisy pipe, than the type that would waft along on a silver wing or Bergman etc. Don't you ever get times when your riding it that you wish it would turn into a Pan European or FJR 1300 instead just out of interest?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, you didn't get me at all, I'm talking about the Buell XB12X Ulysses, the upright ADV version of the Firebolt.

And the HD engine is a peach, if you tune it to make the power it really should, as Buell did.

Yes, the HD motor is a bit vibey at really low revs, but once you get it going, it smooths right out and just keeps on giving.

The other thing that motor has is character, something the big Jap V twins lack - some of them might perform a bit better, but they do it in such a sanitised way, you feel cheated.

And no, as an only bike I wouldn't swap my SW for a Pan or an FJR; I regularly piss on smaller scooters round the twisties, get the best of them in heavy traffic and I can still sit at 80 mph on a motorway.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2