Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bikes with achievable tank ranges over 200 miles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 18:14 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
R1stu wrote:
ST1100, 250-300 miles per tank depending on year and condition. Honda Delville also as a mega range.

I have noticed the ST1100 thanks for reminding me. How are they for servicing and consumables? Are they getting long in the tooth these days?

Yes and no. Mine is a 91 with 118k on the clock and still going strong. I've completed two tours of Ireland and a tour of Scotland on her. Oil changes 4k. And I have the Avon storm 3d on her. They still old value well.

The 13 is a great bike, but lots of electrical issues are possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Bikes with achievable tank ranges over 200 miles? Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:

I ride a NC750X for the local bloodbike group. It often tops 80MPG.

That's better than my Inazuma 250 which only does 75....

I've heard the NC's are good on fuel...nice to learn the rumours are true.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Bikes with achievable tank ranges over 200 miles? Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Confusion wrote:

It's their raison d'etre - spectacular reliability and MPG. They're used extensively by London couriers for good reason.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think very carefully before going for a Pan for the journey you're proposing, I definitely wouldn't do it without a test ride.

My experience of them (18 months pedalling an ST1100 around semi rural Kent and ultra urban London) is that they're a bit too lardy for low to medium speed commuting, if that's all you're going to do with it.

Don't get me wrong, they handle better than they look like they should, but I was always very aware of the weight and bulk of the thing, especially when faced with damp and gravel strewn B and C roads; there was always the thought in the back of my mind that one day, a pothole or pile of horse apples would unexpectedly appear and I would end up on my arse, there's no way you would hold it up.

Not the best thing for heavy traffic either, again the sheer size gets in the way of constant rapid progress.

I understand why people like them, but I would only have one if part of my biking life was regular high speed journeys or touring and I could only have one bike - to be honest, even in that circumstance, I would probably look for another alternative.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Bikes with achievable tank ranges over 200 miles? Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:

It's their raison d'etre - spectacular reliability and MPG. They're used extensively by London couriers for good reason.

Many of the couriers I know tell me about the MPG being good but no
one has given me any figures.

Oh and BTW, the new CB500's are also very popular, any idea on the
MPG?

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:48 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 200 miles with my old cb500 although I did brim it.

NC750X would be a good choice if that tank wasnt so damn small.

Personally I think a 80 round trip daily on a bike is a bit much though. I do about 40 and I wouldn't like to do more.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Bikes with achievable tank ranges over 200 miles? Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:

They are used extensively as company bikes as they are relatively cheap to buy, cheap to run and there is no competition in the class. They are also very uncomfortable and very few couriers buy their own, they go for comfortable bikes

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:

NC750X would be a good choice if that tank wasnt so damn small.

That's my problem on the Inazuma, 13 litres is the capacity and will just do 200 miles, a bigger tank would help. My CB250 has a 15 litre tank which can do about 300 miles, the old bikes are so much better than these fucktard modern bikes.

Yeti
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:33 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sprint 900 sees 200 miles to the tank no problems at all.

It is a 25L tank though so is a bit top heavy when fully laden with fuel.

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sprint 995 does over 200 miles too but it is a big tank. Later 1050s are supposed to go further

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be boring and say it depends on how you ride it. I can get over 200 miles on my '02 Speed Triple on long trips (personal best of 214 miles before I lost my bottle and stopped ignoring the fuel light). My current commute is 50 miles each way, nearly all motorway. It's very boring, but if I sit at 70 to 80 and don't give it the beans on the slip roads then it'll do it.
When my commute was 18 miles each way on A roads I could only get 130 to 150 miles a tank, but it was a lot more fun.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:35 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Bikes with achievable tank ranges over 200 miles? Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Confusion wrote:

Lol I looked on Fuelly and found out all the CB500s have the same MPG as my Inazuma too with much better power, kinda regret the bike after that.

The CB500X has a bigger tank than the other variations of the CB500s btw so would have a better range.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:40 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:

Personally I think a 80 round trip daily on a bike is a bit much though. I do about 40 and I wouldn't like to do more.

Depends on the roads though, if its 40 miles low traffic A roads or motorway then it's not too bad. I do 30 miles each way at the minute, if someone offered me the right job and right $$ I would add another 10 motorway miles in without worry. However if it was another 10 miles across london it would be a harder sell.

Most people I know in london commute over 45 mins each way be that on cycle, motorbike, tube, train or bus. I guess that affects my reasoning.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:41 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get 70MPG on the Strom sticking to motorways.

In this instance i can't recommend a bike due to the distance that you'll be travelling, it'll drain you physically & mentally.

Get a car, as you said yourself you won't really be filtering so you're not really loosing out.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
I can get 70MPG on the Strom sticking to motorways.

In this instance i can't recommend a bike due to the distance that you'll be travelling, it'll drain you physically & mentally.

Get a car, as you said yourself you won't really be filtering so you're not really loosing out.

My current commute is 25 miles all A roads once out of Ilkley. I really enjoy it when on the bike. The extra 13 (?) miles would be the same type of roads but across from Keighley (2 ees and 2 effs) to Colne then a blat down the M56 towards Blackbeerrrnnn. The Colne bit can, and often does, get very congested so it would be awful in the car, only about 2 miles or so to get through this, hence the "lack" of filtering but I bet that 2 miles could save at least 20 minutes each way.

Without turning into a Dear Auntie thread, there's other jobs about, gonna have a mooch - Halifax for example but that's a trip across Bradford that I moved, to avoid, for my current position. Bradford is like a black hole but with more shit - I hate the place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:06 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old VF Thou had a five and a half galleon tank.... and a 'quoted' thirst of 30mpg.. suggesting a notional range of about 150 miles give or take a dreg or three in 'reserve'....

Second day after I collected it, I took a toddle out to get a feel for the thing; and the fuel lamp came on on me, suggesting I fill up. The thought "Oh dear, here it comes..." went through my mind; then I looked at the oddo... I had been in the saddle for over five hours, and cranked up almost 300miles, achieving an average of near 60mpg, almost double what book said.....

A few weeks later, coming back from work, the fuel lamp came on about half a dozen miles from home, and I thought, "Oh, that's odd!" and pulled into the services on the by-pass.... coasting the last 100 yards on vapour! A quick tally suggested that caning it twist roundabouts and traffic lights on the commute, I had only managed something scratching double figures, and a 15mpg average, 1/2 what the book said was more realistic.

So its all a piece of string question really..... them moorland roads round Leeds & Keithley... would beg me getting off the boring by-passes, and either relaxing and enjoying the view, and getting big MPG numbers... or having a bit more fun, and getting rather low ones..... In either case.... the fuel consumption and range, would probably NOT be a huge consideration in my purchase decision...

If it WAS.. then a Citreon C3's Co2 based tax and suggested 55-80mph consumption, pus a windscreen, and air-conditioning, and not having to tog up like a deep-sea diver to get to work, WOULD likely sway me rather to NOT buy a bike at all, to 'commute'... a more sensible car would be, well, far more sensible, and cheaper;

And given that a nominal 20 mile trip to work every day, 3/4 on more interesting rural roads, into built up brum, took much the same on a bike as in car, any saving found by filtering wasted by togging on and off either end.. would also, sway me 'cheap economical' car wise, and picking a bike, just for the fun on sunny evenings and week-ends.... and taking the "+commuting" off bike insurance policy would probably even pay for it!

End of the day, bikes use petrol, and big bikes use quite a lot of it, and more the harder and faster you ride'em. If range is that much of a consideration.... I found work not much fun, so getting there not a lot either; and going zombie for a while longer in the BC... before caffeine.. in the car, was no great loss.... for fun? Save it for the week-end!

So how much fun do you want; how much cheap do you need? And what's the best compromise you can make.... and given that fill=-ups are more a matter of inconvenience than anything, and a crash-hat and wet-weathers demanded by bike are a far bigger one from the off, IS this really a make or break issue?

Me? I'd still probably plump for the cheap-ecconomical low tax rate euro-box and some more minutes half asleep not worrying about cow crap or SMIDSY.... But either which way, I wouldn't be expecting to find the solution in the brochure specs or mag-reviews..... As much of more difference to be found in how heavy handed you be with whatever you get.

So, no panacea prescription I am afraid... just think a little more about it, then suit yourself! Your the one that has to ride it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
not having to tog up like a deep-sea diver to get to work,

Most people these days use motorcycle clothing, its considerably more convenient. Thumbs Up

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tef,

I, of course, understand that MMMV. I understand the use of the throttle and road choice will affect range. My ZZR would achieve just shy of 60 mpg on the commute.

Paying for fuel is not an issue. Neither is mpg, within reason. I want a tank range to extend the time between fuel ups. I also know not to trust the manufacturer quotes ranges, hence asking for ideas of bikes that can reach over the 200 miles marker.

A couple of years riding to this job in all weathers is still more exciting than sitting in a car doing it, plenty of trucks and tractors and busses use my route, never much space to overtake in a car. Plenty of room on a bike.

Simply. I enjoy riding a bike ... believe it or not.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Bikes with achievable tank ranges over 200 miles? Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
goto10 wrote:

They are used extensively as company bikes as they are relatively cheap to buy, cheap to run and there is no competition in the class. They are also very uncomfortable and very few couriers buy their own, they go for comfortable bikes

I've heard this a lot - but I don't really agree TBH - (either that or I have a super-tolerance for being uncomfortable)
As said, I do up to 400 miles a week on mine and it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I'm pretty comfortable on it. *Shrug*

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobRider wrote:
My Sprint 995 does over 200 miles too but it is a big tank. Later 1050s are supposed to go further

Realistically ~180 miles out of mine. Did do 200 once but it was pushing it.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-range bike? CB125F.

Smile

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting over 200 miles to a tank does make longer commutes more bearable. I normally head for a petrol station at about 155 miles on the CBF1000 which puts me at 2 to 3 fill-ups a week.

I’m on the old 90’s CB500 currently while the CBF waits for me to change the stator. The additional mileage available on the 500 is lovely.

At my last refuel I’d done 236 miles and the tank took 18.49 litres (about 58mpg). That was probably pushing my luck a little. I was probably only half a litre away from walking. And I’ve recently been riding like an utter cockwomble so it’s probably capable of pushing 70mpg if I dialled back my level of retard. Embarassed

Regarding comfort on the NC750 I found it fine for commuting when I had a loan bike for 3 days recently, but that’s was only an hour each way and 60ish miles a day. All day in the saddle is a different matter. I had the S model which was a bit of a ballache on the motorway, but handy through town. I enjoyed it more in shitty wet weather than I did when the sun came out. As soon as the roads dried out I kept smashing off the incredibly low rev limiter in every gear.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My normal ride out is around 196miles and I achieve this regular on my Z750S.

I'm taking it steady, legal speeds and the ride is virtually all national speed limit.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:48 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I take it easy I can easily get 200 miles from a tank from my FJR1300 or my V-Strom 1000. I really wouldn't recommend either for commuting though.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:48 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I take it easy I can easily get 200 miles from a tank from my FJR1300 or my V-Strom 1000. I really wouldn't recommend either for commuting though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4