Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New bike (gone from 125cc to 650cc) initial thoughts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: New bike (gone from 125cc to 650cc) initial thoughts Reply with quote

I've had my CBR650F for a couple of days now and have some thoughts on how I've found going to a bigger bike.

Being a scared girlie (albeit fairly old), I was worried that I would drop the bike, or at least stall it, before getting out of the car park at the dealership. It was fine. Not only that, but it was last Saturday and it was the first rainstorm in many, many weeks. The rain was hammering down, the wind was battering me, the road was slick, I had new tyres. It was all fine. About 20 metres from the dealership I realised I have never sat on such a comfortable bike. It sounded so good. Everything felt right. I got out of the city and opened up the throttle and I have to admit I laughed like a maniac as I overtook cars on the dual carriageway.

It feels comfortable going slow. I feel the narrower bars give me more confidence poking the bike between cars. Acceleration is almost imperceptibly smooth. Maybe that's because I'm leaning further forward?

There are downsides, though. I felt I could push every ounce of possible power out of my little 125. That was fun. The 650 feels like it *should* be going faster. Maybe I'll get used to it and stop feeling that way.

People say that you feel less vulnerable on a bigger bike. That is true. With my bigger engine growling under me and my knees much wider I feel I have _presence_. But I'm conscious that might make me push into places I shouldn't go, and do less lifesavers. I feel like I need to actively tell myself to ride like I'm being tested and build safe habits on this bike.

What else? Oh, it's really heavy! I have a concrete lip at my gate and can I roll the bike over? No. I have to ride over, or I have to start a good foot or two away and build up speed to manually roll the bike in or out. This, I think, is where I will drop it, if ever. But if I can get used to it then this should all get easier with time.

It's also new so I worry someone will steal it.

Overall, though, I have a good feeling about being on this size of bike and about this bike in particular. It is definitely, without doubt, exactly the bike I wanted.

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:28 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done
I went from 125cbt to 600das without a hiccup as well
I now ride a Yamaha xj 6 and agree with all you say
It feel stable it goes slow and fast easily
It looks better bearing in mind I'm 6ft 5 and 17 stone
It's comfy and it makes me feel good when riding

I would get some more time in the saddle and ride it like a car before starting to try and filter etc and start with bigger gaps and progress to smaller rather than trying to squeeze through the eye of a needle first time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:29 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps
Did you get your security measures sorted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 06:16 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezybiker wrote:
Ps
Did you get your security measures sorted.

Yes, I did. What I've picked up from reading about security is that if someone wants the bike they will have the tools and they will take it anyway. The best security is for thieves not to know there is a bike there. I'm going for a decent chain and disc lock as well to prevent opportunists.
My security question was more about insurance anyway (but it got derailed). My insurance company was most interested in HISS and Datatag, so I didn't declare anything else. That way I can't be caught not using it, if there was ever a reason that could happen.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:54 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: New bike (gone from 125cc to 650cc) initial thoughts Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
There are downsides, though. I felt I could push every ounce of possible power out of my little 125. That was fun. The 650 feels like it *should* be going faster. Maybe I'll get used to it and stop feeling that way.

You will.
A slow build up isn't a bad thing, it just shows a maturity that one day you'll probably thank yourself you had.
Without wanting to teach you to suck eggs but the one piece of advice I'd give that would be much more relevant now that you're on a faster bike is to make sure you look through the bends more.
It's the biggest change I made when I moved up.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:38 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: New bike (gone from 125cc to 650cc) initial thoughts Reply with quote

recman wrote:
now that you're on a faster bike is to make sure you look through the bends more.

Thanks - it sounds like good advice which I will keep in mind.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're going about it the right way. Enjoy it. Don't worry about whether you should or shouldn't be going faster. Most 600+ bikes are capable of getting to 80 in very few seconds, doesn't mean that's where you have to be. I ride to work every day and am rarely out of 30/40 zones, but it's still fun.

Just don't push it on corners - that's the one thing I've seen (on YouTube) where lots of newer riders fall fowl

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big bikes can be safer, better handling with more weight which aids precision, more power to do what you want safely, and less tendency to mostly go everywhere as fast as possible.
It's easier to pootle about a low revs admiring scenery when you want too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:47 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few people are actually capable of getting the most out of a 600+ on the roads. don't fret it just enjoy yourself within your limits.

if you want to push them go to a track.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 600 feels light compared to my old 600, it's all relative Smile

Great to hear that you're happy with your choice of bike and enjoying it, as others have said, take your time, enjoy the ride and whatever else is happening, don't forget to ride the bike.

It may be worth, at some point, looking at advanced sessions such as bikesafe (I've been meaning to do this for four years) but the main thing is, if you're unsure at any point, don't push it and keep an eye out in heavy traffic for more experienced riders catching you and let them past if you can - I can fit my Hornet though gaps in traffic that a big adventure bike can't fit and a 125 can get through gaps I can't etc.

Don't stop learning, or enjoying Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nicely summarised account of what I'm so far away from I can't even really remember what it was like to ride my first big bike, except that I know I loved it. Actually, that's not quite right because I have never lost any of that love for it in 30-something years of riding. Your journey is just beginning, welcome to the best club in the world Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
A nicely summarised account of what I'm so far away from I can't even really remember what it was like to ride my first big bike, except that I know I loved it. Actually, that's not quite right because I have never lost any of that love for it in 30-something years of riding. Your journey is just beginning, welcome to the best club in the world Very Happy

Fight club?

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Fight club?

SSSHHHHHHH Shhh!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1