Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which motorsport leaves you cold?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Which motorsport leaves you cold? Reply with quote

For me it has to be tractor pulling. I can admire the building of a 4x v8 engined device but what a boring spectacle, it like a premature ejaculation, much to expect but nothing delivered.
Monster truck crap, whats all that about?
Drifting, come on, when you get points for 'style' its wrong.
In terms of bikes, American supercross. I get dizzy watching them all flying and posing and whats with all the fireworks?

OGR.

P.S. Which motorsport do you never miss?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Formula 1. By rights it ought to be amazing, and when you consider the technology, the teamwork, the speed, the grip, it really is. I saw a Red Bull car close up at Goodwood a few years ago and it was beautiful, intricate, fascinating. Yet the racing is often a surprisingly boring, robotic, procession.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for F1, haven't watched it for over a decade, utter bore fest with too many, convoluted, rules and way too many whinging prima donas!
All the other stuff that OGR mentioned I can have a laugh at, however I simply can't overcome the smug, pompousness of anything and everyone associated with F1.

I think WRC was the last time I watched any 4 wheeled motor sport, which wasn't too bad.

Prior to that I remember watching a European round of some touring cars, absolutely nothing happened after the start! The guy who won pulled half a dozen car lengths on second place, the rest of the field formed an orderly queue and drove round and round and round until the end, not one fcukin' overtake in the whole race. Apparently that's edge of your seat, thrilling, racing. Rolling Eyes

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:30 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I think F1 is like watching horse racing and that's not a good thing.
I don't mind watching Moto GP but I much prefer the BSB.

Obviously the TT pops in my head first but I'm going to redefine motorsports and say that I find those little jet propelled boats hilarious to watch.
The acceleration and cornering speeds just seem to defy physics.
Also, I do like a bit of RC car racing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top of the list has to be F1 for me. Boring, boring, boring.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has to be F1*, I saw the German Grand Prix the other weekend. Boring. First few laps are the cars finding their position, then the other 54 laps is just ... circuits.

Don't really watch much motorsport either to be fair. Too bloody busy with other detritus.

Last edited by DrSnoosnoo on 09:44 - 01 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for F1, this is the first year i haven't watched a single race, and i have to admit i don't miss it one bit

Another slightly out there one (if you can call it a motorsport) is Drone Racing, i was trying to kill half an hour last night, and found some world championship Drone Racing League (or something like that), the hype sounded great, and the footage of the racing was pretty cool since you get a proper pilots eye view, but the annoying Murcan commentators and fairly lack lustre racing made it all a bit of a disappointment, it was more a war of attrition as to who could make it to the end of the course without being taken out by the course of smashing into another drone, and very few actual overtakes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything except motorcycle racing on road and track.

Some cars hold an interest for me, vaguely. Old Yank muscle cars, nicely sculpted supercars. With the former, it's just the sheer grunt and brute look and sound of a big block V8 I think, and with the latter it's more of an artistic thing. I've enjoyed watching cars at drag racing events, but soon get bored with that too.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

York Raceway is just across the fields from me so I get free entry. This year it closed because Mintex took it over to test brake pads. The quarter mile strip has been in use from the '70s afaik. Anyway, I did used to enjoy watching the bikes and especially the '60s and '70s US V8 stuff race. But I feel guilty for saying this - I did used to get bored after an hour or so. Neutral

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
But I feel guilty for saying this - I did used to get bored after an hour or so. Neutral

Tbh, I'd get bored at any kind of race meet if there wasn't more than just the racing to see. A lot of such events for me are about the overall atmosphere, as far as actual attendance goes. I prefer to watch even bike racing on the telly, where I get a better picture of what's going on, and see much more of it.

I enjoyed Le Mans (24hr bike) despite not actually watching much of the racing itself and not knowing who was who on the track. But the atmosphere (aka alcohol mixed with bike shenanigans) was great.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Tbh, I'd get bored at any kind of race meet if there wasn't more than just the racing to see. A lot of such events for me are about the overall atmosphere, as far as actual attendance goes. I prefer to watch even bike racing on the telly, where I get a better picture of what's going on, and seeing much more of it.

I enjoyed Le Mans (24hr bike) despite not actually watching much of the racing itself and not knowing who was who on the track. But the atmosphere (aka alcohol mixed with bike shenanigans) was great.

Similar experience to me a few weeks back, i got some weekend tickets for the Snetterton round of BSB, after the Saturday of qualifying and some minor races i was a bit bored of the actual track action, and like you say, its hard to keep track of the race watching from a static position, and not having anyone to cheer on in most of the support classes

Saying that, i'd certainly go again for the atmosphere and off track entertainment alone

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formula 1 - yes, booring

Yank oval racing - I suppose you are waiting for the multiple pile ups.

Speedway - Funny one this. My elder cousin used to take me as a kid to see Ipswich Witches speedway team and I absolutely adored it. I couldn't wait for him to turn up and take me.

Many years on I watched it a few times on telly and wondered why I ever enjoyed it. Confused

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorsport I don't watch - F1, reasons already detailed by others, Nascar, similar, it's just going round and around and around

Tractor pulling, used to watch it, mainly hoping on an engine failure making the engine launch out of the machine, likewise drag racing.

I've enjoyed rallying over the years, but it's not as exciting as it was.

I always watch the live feeds and youtube videos of Goodwood Revival and Members Meeting each year (not fussed about Festival of sped hill climb)

It's wheel to wheel racing in cars from before I was driving (or born in some cases) costing more than my house on a small, tight circuit. It's what motorsport was and should be.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

I used to love Rallying, but it's hard to follow, and the highlights shows only show the smallest snipets of actual racing action

If you like rallying though, i can highly recommend Rallycross (World RX), watched all the races last season (not currently shown on any channel i can get through Virgin) and it is pretty wild, the races themselves are only 4 or 6 laps long (5-6 cars per race), so they are pretty frantic, with generally only the top 3 progressing to the next round, but there is lots of races throughout each event

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjcnLUpXcAAkUj1.jpg:large

600 BHP 4WD Polo anyone?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1
It's like the emperors new clothes to me
So what if someone goes from the chip shop to the post office 3 nanoseconds faster than last time?
How is it truly competitive when 16 out of the 20 have little or no chance of winning?
that's a procession not a race.

Lawnmower racing, now there's a sport for you
man and machine against grass

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
But I feel guilty for saying this - I did used to get bored after an hour or so. Neutral

Tbh, I'd get bored at any kind of race meet if there wasn't more than just the racing to see. A lot of such events for me are about the overall atmosphere, as far as actual attendance goes. I prefer to watch even bike racing on the telly, where I get a better picture of what's going on, and see much more of it.

Agreed. I used to spend much longer in the "paddock" than the stand.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:

I used to love Rallying, but it's hard to follow, and the highlights shows only show the smallest snipets of actual racing action

If you like rallying though, i can highly recommend Rallycross (World RX),

How could I forget rallycross?

Used to get up early to watch transworld sport on C4 with my brother in the hope it'd be rallycross, Will Gollop in his Metro 6R4 vs Pat Dorran & Mikael Nordström in RS200

Not as keen on the modern incarnation of it that I saw in the X games with the big wooden jumps, but will have to have a proper look into it.

Where I live tv reception is patchy, no cable, sky is affected by the weather and digital through an arial is also weather dependent, we don't actually get all of the ITV channels! So being able to watch things not on the main channels can be problematic, add in a 4 year old who's not bothered about watching the tv unless someone else already is (who will say every 2 mins "this is boring, can I watch cbeebies now please?") I simply don't bother watching much tv!

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

How could I forget rallycross?

Used to get up early to watch transworld sport on C4 with my brother in the hope it'd be rallycross, Will Gollop in his Metro 6R4 vs Pat Dorran & Mikael Nordström in RS200

Not as keen on the modern incarnation of it that I saw in the X games with the big wooden jumps, but will have to have a proper look into it.

Where I live tv reception is patchy, no cable, sky is affected by the weather and digital through an arial is also weather dependent, we don't actually get all of the ITV channels! So being able to watch things not on the main channels can be problematic, add in a 4 year old who's not bothered about watching the tv unless someone else already is (who will say every 2 mins "this is boring, can I watch cbeebies now please?") I simply don't bother watching much tv!

According to World RX website, its on a channel called "Freesports", i just know i don't get it with my Virgin TV package, but it could well be on Freeview/sat or whatever, i have no idea

EDIT: Actually i tell a lie, it looks like it is now available on Virgin (possibly a replacement for us losing UKTV channels)

Quote:
FreeSports is available on Freeview HD channel 95, Sky channel 422, Virgin TV, 130/553, FreeSat 252, TalkTalk 95, BT Vision channel 95 & via TVPlayer.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of it, although most are a good cure for insomnia Smile

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:59 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotoGP and Nascar, closely followed by F1.

I'm just not a fan of those, too many crybaby types in GP, Nascar is fucking dull, F1 used to be real interesting... has died off recently and now I don't even look at results.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:01 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Similar experience to me a few weeks back, i got some weekend tickets for the Snetterton round of BSB, after the Saturday of qualifying and some minor races i was a bit bored of the actual track action, and like you say, its hard to keep track of the race watching from a static position, and not having anyone to cheer on in most of the support classes

Snetterton was always a poor spectator circuit and the new longer layout hasn't massively helped.

Try Brands Hatch Indy - from a lot of places you can see maybe 80-90% of the track at once.

On trackdays you can often get up into the tower and see the entire circuit at once.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Try Brands Hatch Indy - from a lot of places you can see maybe 80-90% of the track at once.

I remember Brands events as having a good atmosphere somehow. Don't know why, or what it's like now - haven't been there in years.

I seem to remember finding a spot at Donington where you could see them exit Redgate then all the way down through Craner Curves and a bit further, which at the time, I thought was good. Haven't been there in years either though.

And I still prefer to just watch it on the telly Smile

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As all the above - F1 - just deathly dull.

TT to be at and pretty much any other motorsport to watch.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the same way as most on the boring motorsports, and agree that like Moto GP, F1 should be far more exciting and interesting than it is.

Thing is though all these sports were fun in the 90's F1, WRC, extreme off road racing, trials, MX WSB (remember the 750's vs 1000cc twins era). MX when the 400/450cc thumpers first came out head to head with still being developed 250 strokers etc.

And I think that's what makes sports interesting, when you can have a really wide variation of vehicles, technology's and configuration. Too much rules and red tape and too much money in keeping the Sponsors and series promoters happy all kills sport, and competition
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2