Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is this...goodbuy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Is this...goodbuy? Reply with quote

Been offered some workshop equipment; Myford lathe, Trend router table, drill press and a Ryobi surface planer.

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/myfordlathe.jpg

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/routertable.jpg

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/drillpress.jpg

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/planer.jpg

They're asking £500 for the lot, which i think is a bit much really, but i'm not really sure.

Tried looking to see how much each costs but it's difficult to pin down. So i'd thought i'd ask BCF before i commit.

What do you think? Is it all worth it, or a bit much?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a use for it, take it all and run.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's partly why i'm umming and ahhing, tbh, sickpup.

I'd like another lathe, but it's not that much of an upgrade, if at all, than the Drummond Brothers one i already have, already have a drill press (in fact, i've just remembered i've actually got two!), the planer would be nice to have for when i do need one, and the router table would probably be quite useful in general....so it's not like i really need it all.

It's just if it is a good price i might go for it. But i don't want to shell out 500 unless it's definitely a better deal than i could get, than if i just kept an eye on gumtree for good deals if and when they come up.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a weird mixture in that 2 are metal working and 2 woodworking. Do you do both? if so yes, it's a good deal.

edited as I just read what you posted above - no it isn't as you don't need them. I expect you would just about get your money back if you flogged them on. (I'm guessing the Myford is something like an A5 not a 7 which would be well worth the money.)

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get a lot of stuff with them including original accessories? The drill looks like "Nu Tool". Does the router table come with a router (make/model)? Do they all atually work? Are they in good condition?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know too much about metalworking, I do know enough about woodworking to tell you that if you only need a router table occasionally, you can make one from a piece of plywood with a hole in the middle, I've just made one.
Regarding the planer, can you get new blades for it, are the existing ones still sharp and does it still plane accurately, ie. will it produce two, smooth, parallel faces? If the answer to any of those questions is no, it's probably not worth it.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Do you do both?

Yes, but more metal than wood atm. I'd probably work with wood a bit more if i had the tools (like the planer).

Quote:
I'm guessing the Myford is something like an A5 not a 7 which would be well worth the money.)

Unfortunately all i have is that pretty rubbish pic of it, haven't seen it in the flesh yet.

Riejufixing wrote:
Do you get a lot of stuff with them including original accessories?

I'm not sure, as the person selling doesn't really know much about the stuff at all (father's equipment who died).

Quote:
The drill looks like "Nu Tool".

Ah, so just a budget brand then. Think they used to make B&Q branded stuff.

Quote:
Does the router table come with a router (make/model)?

Pretty sure it's with the router, but i don't know the brand.

Quote:
Do they all atually work? Are they in good condition?

Unfortunately the person selling lives nowhere near the place it's all at, so i won't know until i get there to buy/not buy it all. Only have the pics to go on for now. Sad

Suntan Sid wrote:
that if you only need a router table occasionally, you can make one from a piece of plywood with a hole in the middle

I've got a cheap router already, and a table for it is one of those things i've wanted to make for a while now, but other stuff keeps taking priority and i never seem to be able to get around to it. It definitely be cheaper though!

Quote:
Regarding the planer, can you get new blades for it, are the existing ones still sharp and does it still plane accurately, ie. will it produce two, smooth, parallel faces? If the answer to any of those questions is no, it's probably not worth it.

The blades you can still get, and are around a tenner. As for it's accuracy, i really don't know. I'd have to test it when i'm there to be sure.

Cheers for the replies, guys. Been very helpful. Feeling that while it might be a good deal, it might not be quite good enough for me, seeing as i have versions of 2.5 of the 4 things already. Will let you know how it goes!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:

I'm not sure, as the person selling doesn't really know much about the stuff at all (father's equipment who died).

Riejufixing: The drill looks like "Nu Tool".

Ah, so just a budget brand then. Think they used to make B&Q branded stuff.

1) Hm, difficult.

2) It looks as though the bench drill's got a nice wide column, though.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Myford ML2, not the most desirable of machines not even having a reversing tumbler and a very skinny spindle.

I could think of better ways to spend £500 TBH.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

No it doesn't, you are just guessing from the label.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you £100 for the router table and surface planer if that helps? Or a bit more if there is trend router in there.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

No it doesn't, you are just guessing from the label.

Who's going to label a non-nutool thing as nutool? I said up there ^ it looks as though the column as of a good diameter... what do you think it is?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Who's going to label a non-nutool thing as nutool? I said up there ^ it looks as though the column as of a good diameter... what do you think it is?

Well you see the sticker or at least the part you can read actually says 'TOOLS', that S on the end is important as NUTOOL doessn't have an S on the end. It's a bit of a giveaway along with the construction that says it was made more than likely several decades ago.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Well you see the sticker or at least the part you can read actually says 'TOOLS', that S on the end is important as NUTOOL doessn't have an S on the end. It's a bit of a giveaway along with the construction that says it was made more than likely several decades ago.

Maybe he meant nu-tools... Rolling Eyes There's even the same code format on the other sticker....

Also worth noting they're also known as nu-tool without the S....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3ca5bYLJjsW9d8vc9dS1Mtg-GwDF_43MxUDUth5mgDdPLa30-ig

https://imgur.com/a/d3k0CNX

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
Maybe he meant nu-tools... Rolling Eyes There's even the same code format on the other sticker....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3ca5bYLJjsW9d8vc9dS1Mtg-GwDF_43MxUDUth5mgDdPLa30-ig

Not quite right but why let a good negging get in the way of the truth eh Bluezedd?

Nu-Tools and Nu-tool were the old school decent heavy weight bits of machinery whereas Nutool was what they started to import as consumer level crap sold at DIY shops which is why the name is ever so slightly different. The later stuff was China manufactured badge engineered stuff and slowly the whole company went over to it.

Same company, VERY different product ranges.

Take a look on ebay as its a good place for pictures and you will instantly see the difference, or maybe not as you are more interested in negging me than getting the facts straight Thumbs Up

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
bluezedd wrote:

Not quite right but why let a good negging get in the way of the truth eh Bluezedd?

Nu-Tools and Nu-tool were the old school decent heavy weight bits of machinery whereas Nutool was what they started to import as consumer level crap sold at DIY shops which is why the name is ever so slightly different. The later stuff was China manufactured badge engineered stuff and slowly the whole company went over to it.

Take a look on ebay as its a good place for pictures and you will instantly see the difference, or maybe not as you are more interested in negging me than getting the facts straight Thumbs Up

It's just a drill mate, don't get too worked up about it. Laughing

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:49 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluezedd wrote:

Ah the words of a person who was wrong. Apology accepted Thumbs Up

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Bluezedd wrote:

Ah the words of a person who was wrong. Apology accepted Thumbs Up

keep telling yourself that. Thumbs Up

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:59 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
keep telling yourself that. Thumbs Up

What, that you're wrong? Which you were. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:37 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trend are a big name in router stuff, good quality.

That table has a router attached. If it's all Trend stuff and in good condition it's worth a few bob.

Condition is everything though - you need to see it to decide.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
sickpup wrote:

https://i.gifer.com/Tuym.gif

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

Please explain what was wrong with Riejufixing's comment.

Riejufixing wrote:

https://auction.newengland.co.uk/media/lot/23_2-1.JPG

He was just helping identify the drill. That's my point.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drill look like it makes holes

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hole argument is boring Rolling Eyes

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
The hole argument is boring Rolling Eyes

Nice. Very nice!

I'm not one to turn down boring holes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2