Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprilia RS 125 - powerband narrowed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

DEADmetal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 05:58 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Aprilia RS 125 - powerband narrowed Reply with quote

I've got a new shape 2006 RS 125 fullpower. Got the bike when it had only 2k miles clocked. Now it's nearing 3.5k miles.

Before this problem occured, it pulled very strongly, up to 11k RPM (after which the power drop was very sudden). It had a solid top speed of 100 mph indicated. After riding it some (just about 200 miles), it lost power at 11k RPM and started pulling only up to 10.5k RPM (in higher gear), after which, it basically had no power. This powerband difference was very evident. It would not reach 11k RPM in 3rd and higher gears, when before, it reached 11k RPM explosively.

To solve this problem, I've tried:

1. Cleaning PV multiple times.

2. Keeping PV open permanently by using zipties.

3. Using blanking plate instead of PV.

4. Decatting the exhaust and completely emptying the expansion chamber, as well as cutting off the exhaust appendix (which, as I was told here on the forum, acts as a restrictor).

Only the exhaust mod made any difference in powerband. It now pulls up to 10.6k, instead of 10.5k, but it's still evidently lacking.

The power at say, 9k RPM, 10k RPM, or 10.3k RPM seems to not be lost, compared to how it was when I first started riding it (when it had high power up to 11k RPM). The problem is that it doesn't have power up to 11k RPM any more. The top speed has also suffered, obviously.

I'm thinking, if the carb would be clogged, the symptoms would be much more restrictive. Correct me if i'm wrong though. Could it be an electrical problem? Perhaps I should also mention that the CDI is taped over. Could it be so that something has been done to the CDI (a mod) and after I've ridden the bike for some time, this CDI mod failed?

While the symptoms of this problem are requiring a detailed explanation, hopefully, this post doesn't confuse anyone. In case something needs clearing up however, I'll try to rephrase it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:43 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

2006, so 12 years old. 3500 miles.

Under 300 miles a year, so it's going to have sat around for a while. When was the rebuild done and what's the compression like on it now, use a decent compression tester.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Aprilia RS 125 - powerband narrowed Reply with quote

DEADmetal wrote:
I've got a new shape 2006 RS 125 fullpower. Got the bike when it had only 2k miles clocked. Now it's nearing 3.5k miles.

Before this problem occured, it pulled very strongly, up to 11k RPM (after which the power drop was very sudden). It had a solid top speed of 100 mph indicated. After riding it some (just about 200 miles), it lost power at 11k RPM and started pulling only up to 10.5k RPM (in higher gear), after which, it basically had no power. This powerband difference was very evident. It would not reach 11k RPM in 3rd and higher gears, when before, it reached 11k RPM explosively.

1. Cleaning PV multiple times.

2. Keeping PV open permanently by using zipties.

3. Using blanking plate instead of PV.

4. Decatting the exhaust and completely emptying the expansion chamber, as well as cutting off the exhaust appendix (which, as I was told here on the forum, acts as a restrictor).

Only the exhaust mod made any difference in powerband. It now pulls up to 10.6k, instead of 10.5k, but it's still evidently lacking.

The power at say, 9k RPM, 10k RPM, or 10.3k RPM seems to not be lost, compared to how it was when I first started riding it (when it had high power up to 11k RPM). The problem is that it doesn't have power up to 11k RPM any more. The top speed has also suffered, obviously.

I'm thinking, if the carb would be clogged, the symptoms would be much more restrictive. Correct me if i'm wrong though. Could it be an electrical problem? Perhaps I should also mention that the CDI is taped over. Could it be so that something has been done to the CDI (a mod) and after I've ridden the bike for some time, this CDI mod failed?

While the symptoms of this problem are requiring a detailed explanation, hopefully, this post doesn't confuse anyone. In case something needs clearing up however, I'll try to rephrase it.

Do the bike WAS working fine with all its bits intact, then it started to not work OK so your solution is to cut bits off it. Now you're in a pickle because you might never know if you find the fault because your general configuration has changed. What you should have done is fixed the fault and THEN started fiddling with your setup.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Yeti
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:00 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your Purple Power band is worn out.

Try upgrading to the Blue Power band..... They are hard to come by but when you find one you will love it!

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not cleaned out the carb?
Clean out the carb before making permanent changes Rolling Eyes.
A minor fuel restriction can effect high RPM only so it's not unlikely.

It doesn't sound like you've introduced new problems yet but you need to improve your trouble shooting approach.

What could have changed to alter the performance of the bike?
The cat? Not likely. Stripping and cleaning the PV Maybe... but pinning it?
Failed CDI's usually stop a bike...

It sounds like you've ventured down the route of 'improving' the standard setup than trying to fix the problem now?

The thing with carbed bikes though is the first step to any running issue...

Service The Carb(s)!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DEADmetal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:37 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
2006, so 12 years old. 3500 miles.

Under 300 miles a year, so it's going to have sat around for a while. When was the rebuild done and what's the compression like on it now, use a decent compression tester.

I've got it back in 2016. It sat around for almost 10 years before that. I didn't ride it much since, because of this problem and lack of time to attend to it, but it rode perfectly fine when I got it. So this problem shouldn't be related to it sitting for so long? Didn't check the compression but i'm going to do so in a few days hopefully (don't have the compression tester yet).

Pete. wrote:
Do the bike WAS working fine with all its bits intact, then it started to not work OK so your solution is to cut bits off it. Now you're in a pickle because you might never know if you find the fault because your general configuration has changed. What you should have done is fixed the fault and THEN started fiddling with your setup.

Well the only thing that has changed is a freed up expansion chamber. This can't possibly impact power in a negative way, speaking of FP bike.

skatefreak wrote:
Not cleaned out the carb?
Clean out the carb before making permanent changes Rolling Eyes.
A minor fuel restriction can effect high RPM only so it's not unlikely.

It doesn't sound like you've introduced new problems yet but you need to improve your trouble shooting approach.

What could have changed to alter the performance of the bike?
The cat? Not likely. Stripping and cleaning the PV Maybe... but pinning it?
Failed CDI's usually stop a bike...

Didn't clean out the carb. To be honest, I was avoiding opening it but now iI guess I'll have to. I'm reasoning that it can't be due to a clogged carb because the bike had only slightly more than 2k miles when the problem occurred, so not enough mileage for it to clog. Secondly, I think it would be a very unlikely scenario for a clogged carb to reduce the powerband just by 0.5k RPM, from 11k RPM. I'm not an expert however.

------

One more thing I should mention is that it's PV controller stopped working just when this problem appeared (can't remember if the two problems happened at once). So I've used another PV controller, from the new shape RS 125 of the same year. Both controllers have "7800" marking on them. That couldn't have influenced the powerband problem in any way, right?

Again, I stress that the CDI is taped over, so something must have been done to it. I've heard of derestricting fullpower CDIs, to get even more power. Can it be done? If so, perhaps the previous owner done that but his mod failed when I was riding the bike, and so it hasn't stopped CDI from working, just defaulted powerband to factory settings. Is it any likely?

--- edit:

No rebuild was ever done. The bike is basically as was from the factory. Could the powerband problem really be a sign of a lowered compression? It happened quite quickly, in about 200 miles, and it seemed a sudden change (can't remember how sudden - I wasn't experienced). I didn't ever ride it cold. So can a compression drop be so sudden under "normal" riding conditions?

Last edited by DEADmetal on 18:42 - 02 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check compression and leak down figures first for at least some indication if it's healthy. Its a two stroke single so a really simple engine to work on.

With a bike like this I will assume your not a skint teen trying to run it on a tiny budget and not using crap chainsaw oil etc.

Strip and ultrasonically clean the carb and jets as it's not going to hurt and if it's had old fuel sat in it for years, it'll be gummed up to some extent.

I'd personally order up a new piston, rings, bearing and top end gasket set and do a piece of mind re-build now so you can log it's maintenance/hours or miles under your ownership too. If you've got a good cylinder bore surface you want to keep it that way by changing your piston instead of replacing your cylinder.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:59 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeti wrote:

Try upgrading to the Blue Power band..... They are hard to come by but when you find one you will love it!

In absence of a broad power band, fit two narrow ones side by side.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEADmetal wrote:

Pete. wrote:

Well the only thing that has changed is a freed up expansion chamber. This can't possibly impact power in a negative way, speaking of FP bike.

I guess we must have each been reading a different post.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the plug like if you do a plug chop? The freed up chamber could be causing it to run leaner. These bikes were pretty tight on jetting with the std pipe.

OGR.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Aprilia RS 125 - powerband narrowed Reply with quote

DEADmetal wrote:

I'm thinking, if the carb would be clogged, the symptoms would be much more restrictive.

If the carbs are anything like the NSR then there's a Starter, Main and Power jet, it could be that the starter and main are fine but the power is blocked. The main jet delivers most of the power but the 'power' jet gives that noticeable extra power.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:43 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was... I had one, it ran great for about a month or two, 1500 miles.

It had been standing for about 8 months. It munched itself as every seal has pretty much dried out from lack of lubrication and Pete ^^^ rebuilt it for me.

I'd highly suggest getting the basics checked on a 2 stroke before fiddling more. Smashing the mesh out of the exhaust and welding it back up should have been done before hand, or at least been swapped out to a decent full power one. Now you are likely having to rejet and other things to get it running nicely.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strip and clean carb, if no improvement plug chop and post a pitcher.
It could just want a fresh plug thinking about it... my NSR we t through a couple...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeti wrote:

/\ Rubbish.

The purple ones never wore out.
They were made of hardened material and it was this hardness that affected the power-stroke on compression.

But I agree that the Blue power bands are far better suited to the OP's riding style than the O.E.M. Purple power bands.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:33 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get hold of a standard exhaust and fit that THEN start looking for the problem but Pete already basically told you that.

From my knowledge of 70's and 80's 2 strokes one of the worst things you could do was fuck around with the exhaust unless you knew exactly what you were doing. Rejetting was de rigueur when you altered the exhaust or put expansion chambers on it. I presume you understand on a 2 stroke it's not just about flow through the exhaust.

I cannot understand the logic of something was running well, it isn't now, I'll change a fundamental part of the engine. Rolling Eyes

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEADmetal wrote:

Explain FREED UP ?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Aprilia RS 125 - powerband narrowed Reply with quote

^^^
DEADmetal wrote:

Butchered?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to understand that there is a precise science to the size, shape, volume, hell, everything to do with a 2 stroke expansion chamber.

Think fluid dynamics. but with exhaust gas.

How the gas travels in that chamber is critical to the bikes performance. And you're just hacking away at it.

Put a stock one on, or buy a proper, tuned exhaust and make sure your carb is set up for it. Hint - They're not cheap.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:14 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expansion chamber controls the way that the cylinder is sealed.
Exhaust gas pressure prevents the fresh charge of air mixed with atomized fuel from being pushed out the exhaust port on compression.
The shape of the chamber can be fine tuned to change some of the engine characteristics.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
seeing as youve 'modified' the expansion chamber, its probably fucked.
fit a better one, like an arrow or similar. proper sports exhaust innit.

carb : easiest carb to clean out. simply remove the fuel line banjo from the side of the carb (8mm bolt iirc) under there lives a 2p coin sized gauze filter, these get clogged up easily. clean it with soapy water & refit.
if your feeling ambitious, strip the carb down & clean out with carb cleaner & compressed air. (seen a couple of grains of sand play havoc with an rs, found under needle jet)
theres a very good guide to your carb in the sticky setion. i suggest you have a look.
while your there, take a note of what jets are fitted, seen umpteen fp bikes fitted with wrong jets.
clean air filter.
do compression test & then fit new (decent) spark plug.

let us know how you get on.

cheers,
GAZ

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
I should have added, most importantly, "modifying" the exhaust has likely f*cked up the jetting as well.
these wee dellorto carbs are sensitive enough so the change to the expansion chamber will result in rejetting being necessary
check the official aprilia derestriction guide for the size of main jet suggested.
guaranteed you don't have the required jet kit fitted which will result in it being unable to rev out to 12000rpm at wot.

cheers,
GAZ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1