Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Ermagurd! Reply with quote

BCF challenge when

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5s0Mnh1tQc

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:38 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother, you'll be held up by a queue of camper vans and old fogies driving a Honda Jazz.

Yes, I am aware you are talking about cycling up and still...

Frankly though, you're doing well to WALK up the steepest parts of Hardknott.

They are doing it the easy way mind, it's worse the other way round.

The Struggle, joining Ambleside to Kirkstone pass, while shorter, is probably more soul-destroying.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have been off and walking before the cattle grid Stinky lol. Goals to set, Fred Witton without walking.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:52 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're allowed to get off and walk when whoever you're with has decided to given up and start walking. Mr. Green

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on cycling over Hardknott in September. I stay in Eskdale for a week every year.

I think Fred Whiton doo day is some insane sportive 100 miles or so over all the passes, or something? Nope. Not for me. Lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You're allowed to get off and walk when whoever you're with has decided to given up and start walking. Mr. Green

Agreed Mr. Green

I thought I was doing well, can hold 17+ on the flat now in low zone 2 then I saw this and thought fookinell. Will take years to get to that level.

thx1138 wrote:
I think Fred Whiton doo day is some insane sportive 100 miles or so over all the passes, or something? Nope. Not for me. Lol.

Why not though? You seem a bit of an extremist with your training anyway, so a natural progression for you?

https://www.fredwhittonchallenge.co.uk/the-route/

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:21 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
I would have been off and walking before the cattle grid Stinky lol. Goals to set, Fred Witton without walking.

Getting an entry is hard in itself. There is more demand than there are places. The best way to get an entry is to marshall one year which will get you an entry the following year.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched several videos in the 'Up next' section by Katie Kookaburra too. Wub

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The Struggle, joining Ambleside to Kirkstone pass, while shorter, is probably more soul-destroying.

I know it. I would not like to try it. I saw posters advertising a charity car pull up there once. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Getting an entry is hard in itself. There is more demand than there are places. The best way to get an entry is to marshall one year which will get you an entry the following year.

Last I heard 5k applications to 2.5k places? Cheers for the idea, would give me two years prep. Would that be enough though...... Shocked

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

I recently had my first go at the local hard climb. It’s no Hardknott Pass but Streatley Hill is a tough climb for a part-time leisure cyclist like me. At the steepest bit I was on the verge of getting off and walking when I saw a couple of cyclists up ahead who were walking. That was the impetus I needed - I was going to ride past them, and I did. Made it to the top, was a little bit sick in my mouth but got there without stopping.

The soul-destroying part is then looking on Strava and seeing that people go up there 3 times faster than I did.

Last edited by weasley on 19:54 - 30 Jul 2018; edited 1 time in total

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
s but Streatley Hill is a tough climb for a part-time leisure cyclist like me. At the steepest bit I was on the verge of getting off and walking when I saw a couple of cyclists up ahead who were walking. That was the impetus I needed - I was going to ride last them, and I did. Made it to the top, was a little bit sick in my mouth but got there without stopping.

The soul-destroying part is then looking on Strava and seeing that people go up there 3 times faster than I did.

Is that by Goring-on-Thames, on the B4009 straight across the lights. on the cross road past the weir? Doesn't help that it is up hill from the lights, and you get stuck at the lights.

I had to get off and walk on my hybrid, partly cos I can't use all of the lower gears, and partly cos I was tired and been riding for hours from Bedford when I got there, and was carrying a lot of kit I wish I hadn't stopped for a moment, cos when I did, cos I couldn't get going again. Wheeled it a few yards to a drive way, and set off again strapped in on the pedals. I was thinking only today about riding down to Newbury, just so I can tick that hill off my list.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:14 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Is that by Goring-on-Thames, on the B4009 straight across the lights. on the cross road past the weir? Doesn't help that it is up hill from the lights, and you get stuck at the lights.

That’s the one. It starts gentle and just keeps ramping up.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it's frustrating to ride down, with them lights at the bottom spoiling the fun. Laughing

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I bet it's frustrating to ride down, with them lights at the bottom spoiling the fun. Laughing

On my MTB with hydraulic disc brakes, no worries. On the road bike with diddy rim brakes.... let’s just say I don’t let the momentum build too much.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 243 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1