Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How much is a reasonable price to replace types?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:45 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: How much is a reasonable price to replace types? Reply with quote

So today have had a bit of a debate with a few people and its wound me up and I need more opinions....

See I dont think 20 quid to replace 2 tyres when your delivering the wheels off the bike is reasonable at all... If they were manually removing them with clamps irons and elbow grease then yeah sure 20 is a bargain. But theyre not. Its a hydrolic press that breaks the bead and pops the tyre off in a press of a button.

In total to do 2 wheels cant take more than 2-5 minutes... Personally I just cant see how 20 quid is justifiable in that regard.

5 quid a tyre I would say is reasonable because its the price of convenience. But 10 quid is a rip off...

How much are you charged for this service?

Of course I have taken into consideration there are costs such as maintenance of the equipment and time and rents... yet I still cant see how 20 quid for 5 minutes work, and the minuscule amount of ware that might be caused to the machine, is justifiable.

Back in the day I was a freelance graphics and special effects artist.

Where I would charge 300 a day for highly technical skilled work. 12% of that was taken by my agent... Break that down hourly that was 37 quid an hour...

Break that down to minutes thats £3.08 for 5 minutes work. Bare in mind I also had costs, I had to pay for my own travel my agent fees a living... And most of all it was a highly skilled technical job. It was indeed very good money... But it also didnt have the security of work every day...

Now compare that to the job of replacing a couple of tyres. You place the wheels on the press... Press a button. Tyre is pushed off. You line up the arrows and place new tyre over wheel, and press a button. New tyre is pushed on... All in all takes roughly 5 minutes to do the two tyres. How the hell can 20 quid for what is essentially a trivial task (when you have the equipment) justifiable? And youre a business with the security of daily income in one form of another,

I am honestly considering just doing it my self with some irons and a gclamp. Sure its hard work might take a hour or two but I save 20 quid which in my life currently isnt a trivial amount of money.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it's quite a lot just to swap the tyres, especially when you consider they are also making a profit on the sale of the tyres.
Unless of course the tyre prices are subsidised by the cost of changing them. Selling items at cost, with profitable addons is a standard practice for lots of companies. Are the tyres quite cheap?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:53 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i got the trres myself ordered from demon tweaks... I would just go to the workshop, delivery my wheels sans bike and the new tyres to fit... Heck the workshop would also keep the old tyres and make a small profit selling them as scrap...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:54 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£20 is fine if they have to remove the wheels. £10 per tyre is OK for loose wheels IMO.

However, at the end of the day people charge what they charge, and it's up to you if you want to pay or not. If you change a lot of tyres, buy your own tyre equipment. Otherwise keep local bike shops in business.

I'd be very sad and disappointed if all local backstreet bike garages were replaced by main stealers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

For a good new tyre machine you are looking at £1600+vat minimum. Yes you can get cheaper but I said good.

At £10 per tyre you are looking at 160 tyre changes to break even and that doesn't include the cost of the person to run the machine or the cost of power/air.

A good balancer with adaptors costs £1600+vat minimum so if balancing is included £10 per wheel is a very good price.

If the tyre changer scratches your wheels would would expect them to pay to repaint them and yes it does happen especially in winter when tyres are harder to remove.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

if the machine is working 100 times a day they will obv put prices down but due to the relatively low demand and use they can charge whatever people will pay really. its not like people have them lying around in their houses is it?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Actually i got the trres myself ordered from demon tweaks... I would just go to the workshop, delivery my wheels sans bike and the new tyres to fit... Heck the workshop would also keep the old tyres and make a small profit selling them as scrap...

Ah right, I misunderstood, I thought you meant they were delivering them.

I suggest doing what I have done and get a friend with a tyre changer, or buying one for yourself and charge people £10 for changing both, or £5 for rental.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323330149554

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
if the machine is working 100 times a day they will obv put prices down but due to the relatively low demand and use they can charge whatever people will pay really.

Likely not. I was talking to one of the chaps over at FWR a while ago and they buy new tyre machines yearly as they wear out, they consider it a better practice than servicing them. They then sell the old ones on Ebay.

The ones FWR had were £2295+vat each.

AshWebster wrote:
its not like people have them lying around in their houses is it?

I do. Thumbs Up

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:00 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
£20 is fine if they have to remove the wheels. £10 per tyre is OK for loose wheels IMO.

However, at the end of the day people charge what they charge, and it's up to you if you want to pay or not. If you change a lot of tyres, buy your own tyre equipment. Otherwise keep local bike shops in business.

I'd be very sad and disappointed if all local backstreet bike garages were replaced by main stealers.

Might sound really rude but i wouldn't really shed a tear if he shut up shop, the local guy isn't what i would call nice to do business with...

I do agree with helping local business but this guy acts like hes really being put out if you go in to buy something... Its service with a grimace stuff...

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:01 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:

Ah right, I misunderstood, I thought you meant they were delivering them.

I suggest doing what I have done and get a friend with a tyre changer, or buying one for yourself and charge people £10 for changing both, or £5 for rental.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323330149554

Funnily we have one of them
just not on a stand... like i said I would rather spend an hour or two using that than pay 20 quid...

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP ... stop being so tight fisted and give the man a score, he’ll be more willing to help you out next time you need him.

Stick only fiver in his pocket and he’ll be to busy next time you need him.

Personally if someone only gave me a fiver, I’d give it back to them as they are obviously just a tight fisted git and I wouldn’t bother doing the job.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

Might sound really rude but i wouldn't really shed a tear if he shut up shop, the local guy isn't what i would call nice to do business with...

I do agree with helping local business but this guy acts like hes really being put out if you go in to buy something... Its service with a grimace stuff...

£20 right? Based on my accountancy experience he'll get to put about £2 maybe £2.20 into his pocket after deducting all of the overheads.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:08 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
OP ... stop being so tight fisted and give the man a score, he’ll be more willing to help you out next time you need him.

Stick only fiver in his pocket and he’ll be to busy next time you need him.

Personally if someone only gave me a fiver, I’d give it back to them as they are obviously just a tight fisted git and I wouldn’t bother doing the job.

No this guy would take the fiver and still treat you like scum Smile

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:11 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:

£20 right? Based on my accountancy experience he'll get to put about £2 maybe £2.20 into his pocket after deducting all of the overheads.

I think you might be heavily over stating the overheads on the service of changing a tyre... Unless he wants to put 90% of his daily rent onto the tyre service...

Even if the press has a 2kw hydrolic pump your still looking at only a few pennies in electricity cost. And i like i said the ware and tare of 2 tyre replacements is near nonexsistant.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good tyre place in leeds (IMO) has the policy of, you pay 20 quid to fit tyres purchased from them as a ride in, ride out service. bring loose wheels, fitting is free.

They obviously make enough profit from the tyre sales to cover the cost of manning the machine etc but need to charge more for the time taken to get wheels off the bike.

The fact that you want to take tyres in, not bought from them and then ask them to do the dirty work you don't want to do, well, they have you over a barrel.

How long would it take you to do it, if you started right now? is that hassle worth more than £20? I'd pay it. Next time ask him for a price on those tyres, fitted to loose wheels.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

was going to ask, did you take the old tyres away with you?

All the fitters including my regular garage charge a bit more if they have to dispose of the tyres, they're all in an agreement with the supplier to have the old ones taken away for them due to the tyres having to be disposed of in a certain way these days - that might be where some more cost is coming in as they get charged for any extra tyres

£20, £10 per tyre to fit, £5 per tyre for disposal.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:21 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

in what world are they being charged for disposal? The rubber and steal weave can be recycled and is a comodity, There are people who buy this stuff from the workshops....

bussies near me who probably change near 50-100 tyres a day get paid to have there used tyres collected for recycling as the recycling companies makes a profit from the sale of the raw materials...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:23 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd expect a better price for fitting if you were buying the tyres from the garage but since you've bought them elsewhere, it's not really worth his time if he gave you a bargain price for fitting.

Phone around other places locally to confirm that nowhere is willing to do a cheaper price for fitting tyres that you supply. Laughing

Bleating about how much you charged for highly technical skilled work as a freelance graphics and special effects artist is 100% irrelevant.

You're not interested in the local bike garage guy as a business and he's not interested in you being one of his customers. Sounds to me like a match made in heaven. Wub

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
in what world are they being charged for disposal? The rubber and steal weave can be recycled and is a comodity, There are people who buy this stuff from the workshops....

In the very world you (and all the rest of us) live in

Try taking a boot full of tyres to your local council disposal site and see if they let you dump them for free

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:30 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

OK, this thread just jumped the shark.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
I think you might be heavily over stating the overheads on the service of changing a tyre... Unless he wants to put 90% of his daily rent onto the tyre service...

You're forgetting lots of other overheads as well.

The main problem you've having is that you're looking at the micro and not the whole picture.

I mean sure the electricity costs on the tyre machine might be pennies.

Except he had to buy and maintain the tyre machine so he has to factor in the cost of buying it too.

But on top of this he has to get workshop space for it which costs rent.

But with this workshop space he has to pay business rates.

He also has to pay to get there and back and pay himself and other costs as well.

In fact this story I recall is perfect:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/12099760/TripAdvisor-York-Bennetts-cafe-owner-leaves-brilliant-response-to-one-star-review.html

Irate customer said

Quote:
“I ordered hot water and a slice of lemon which, firstly, did not arrive on time with all my friends’ cake and drinks. I was then charged £2 for the hot water and a thin slice of lemon,” she wrote.

“When I asked why I was being charged so much for some water the waiter rudely said, ‘well, do you know how much a lemon costs?’ Yes, it’s definitely not £2.

“He then went on to wrongly inform me that a 'pot of tea for one' (which is what I was charged for) is the same price as a lemon. To show just how ridiculous this is, my friend ordered a slice of chocolate cake which was £1.90.”

https://secure.i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03549/Bennett_scaf__and__3549399b.jpg
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:34 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Try taking a boot full of tyres to your local council disposal site and see if they let you dump them for free

Laughing Laughing I remember when the local airsoft site asked for stuff to make an interesting battle arena. They said they'd accept anything.

Several tyre places unloaded several truck loads of tyres in their yard. Very Happy

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:42 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

Laughing Laughing I remember when the local airsoft site asked for stuff to make an interesting battle arena. They said they'd accept anything.

Several tyre places unloaded several truck loads of tyres in their yard. Very Happy

Thats cool though, but i have to say I do know for sure that there are businesses that would pay to take the tyres from the garages...
it might also be that the garage has to be within the range of said recycle business. So sure there would be some garages that wont be within the range of a company that would pay to take them away.

In any case, ill drop this now. i still feel that youre over stating the overheads for doing this little job. But without knowing the exact costs of his rent and buisness rates for the area I cant break it down. So theres no point arguing this any more...

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Sounds about right, there was a real problem with fly tipping of tyres round where i used to live, any time a building or land became vacant, it was soon filled to the brim with old tyres
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4