Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How much is a reasonable price to replace types?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:43 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
in what world are they being charged for disposal? The rubber and steal weave can be recycled and is a comodity, There are people who buy this stuff from the workshops....

Interesting.

Who are these people who buy old worn out tyres?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
in what world are they being charged for disposal? The rubber and steal weave can be recycled and is a comodity, There are people who buy this stuff from the workshops.

The steel isn't a commodity as it is contaminated, the rubber surrounding it.

Tyre disposal for trade is between £1-£4+vat per tyre

NutsyUk wrote:
bussies near me who probably change near 50-100 tyres a day get paid to have there used tyres collected for recycling as the recycling companies makes a profit from the sale of the raw materials...

Then the obvious question is why do they bother buying the tyres and changing them?

Let me explain. We have a huge problem with used tyres in the world. People dump them because of the cost of disposal, most council dumps won't accept them and neither will skip or rubbish disposal companies. If they are making money disposing of them all they have to do is offer a service whereby people can drop off their tyres for free and they will make money so obviously as this isn't happening they aren't getting paid for the tyres.

NutsyUk wrote:
Sorry...

Next time think before kicking off. Thumbs Up

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

Thats cool though, but i have to say I do know for sure that there are businesses that would pay to take the tyres from the garages...
it might also be that the garage has to be within the range of said recycle business. So sure there would be some garages that wont be within the range of a company that would pay to take them away.

That may be so, for industrial quantities, perhaps quick fit who's mainstay is tyre changes and so the money acquired by the tyre collecting and recycling firm off-sets the cost of collecting, much like a scrap metal company happy to collect for free if you've got over a set amount.

Bike garages tend to be smaller and so would have to stack the tyres up taking up space, or getting in trouble for having too many on the premises for too long (fire hazard?) and need to get rid of the handfull they get through each week on a weekly basis. I know my local place, the tyre delivery company takes the old tyres away, the cost of this being in the delivery fee (which is why it's slightly cheaper to source my own tyres) but they'll only take away the same number of tyres that were on the last delivery or charge for the extras.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago I quoted someone about 150 quid to change a set of turbo gaskets on an old Nissan, including parts. It was 3-4 hours labour if everything went OK, and 4-10 hours labour if everything went to pot, but I'd take the hit on that.

The guy was a typical IT contractor knocking out services nobody wanted to pay for but was charging himself out at 40 quid an hour with minimal overheads. His argument for that was he was good at what he did and cheaper than the bigger companies.

So imagine my surprise when he told me my booking 25 quid an hour for skilled labour was a piss take and he'd have a go at it himself.

Yeah I enjoyed billing him double to fix his own mistakes he made whilst trying to save 50 quid.

Honestly, if you think there's a killing being made - don't bitch about it on forums, go out there and make a killing at 9 quid a tyre. If it's that easy, you push on.

Fucking something for nothing generation. Jeez.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. I was charged £20 per tyre on top of the cost of the tyres. but that was on the bike. They adjusted the chain, and lubed it, and made a very good job. In a lot of other trades, jobs that take 10 minutes are still charged at minimum 1 hour rate. Otherwise no-one would make much money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:46 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Many years ago I quoted someone about 150 quid to change a set of turbo gaskets on an old Nissan, including parts. It was 3-4 hours labour if everything went OK, and 4-10 hours labour if everything went to pot, but I'd take the hit on that.

The guy was a typical IT contractor knocking out services nobody wanted to pay for but was charging himself out at 40 quid an hour with minimal overheads. His argument for that was he was good at what he did and cheaper than the bigger companies.

So imagine my surprise when he told me my booking 25 quid an hour for skilled labour was a piss take and he'd have a go at it himself.

Yeah I enjoyed billing him double to fix his own mistakes he made whilst trying to save 50 quid.

Honestly, if you think there's a killing being made - don't bitch about it on forums, go out there and make a killing at 9 quid a tyre. If it's that easy, you push on.

Fucking something for nothing generation. Jeez.

Yes but what your saying there is a lot more work and knowledge than swapping tyres on a press...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

Yes but what your saying there is a lot more work and knowledge than swapping tyres on a press...

No I'm not. I'm saying if you're not prepared to pay for someone to do something right either a) have a go at it yourself and hope you don't sod it up or b) put up or shut up that if you could do it better having zilch knowledge in the subject then fill your boots.

It's a score, FFS.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutsy you greedy c@nt, just pay the man or do it yourself.

Simples

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Sounds about right, there was a real problem with fly tipping of tyres round where i used to live, any time a building or land became vacant, it was soon filled to the brim with old tyres

I can only imagine the Bryan Donkin site filled to the brim with tyres. Laughing
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:38 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Nutsy you greedy c@nt, just pay the man or do it yourself.

Simples

Not greedy... poor.

I am going to do it myself.

Seriously paying 20 quid right now would mean going without food for at least a day within the next 2 weeks

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll PayPal you a score. Pay me back when you're ready. It'll save you the bother of failing to do it and having to take them in anyway.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:55 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer but thats not necessary. (one of my principles, I dont borrow money of people)

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they replace the valves as well? Did they balance the wheels?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tenner a wheel is about the going rate.

My local place started charging £20 a rim, so I bought tyre levers.

They can charge whatever they want, but you can also opt to DIY it id you don't want to pay that.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:14 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw that 20 quid doesnt include balancing. Just replacing the rubber

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently paid £50 for a pair with the wheels off the bike. It's a shop I've used before and I actually bought my bike there.

I didn't ask the price beforehand, everyone else I've used were normally £10 for loose wheels, or £20 on the bike.

It caught me off guard to be honest, I didn't even think to question it at the time. I just paid up and walked out.

It's not like they have a monopoly on it either, there's 5 other shops to choose from in town.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:56 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
MarJay wrote:
£20 is fine if they have to remove the wheels. £10 per tyre is OK for loose wheels IMO.

However, at the end of the day people charge what they charge, and it's up to you if you want to pay or not. If you change a lot of tyres, buy your own tyre equipment. Otherwise keep local bike shops in business.

I'd be very sad and disappointed if all local backstreet bike garages were replaced by main stealers.

Might sound really rude but i wouldn't really shed a tear if he shut up shop, the local guy isn't what i would call nice to do business with...

I do agree with helping local business but this guy acts like hes really being put out if you go in to buy something... Its service with a grimace stuff...

Take your loose wheels and self sourced tyres to your local main dealer and they won't even entertain you. If you're lucky, some spotty apprentice might do then on his lunch break whilst his boss has a coffee looking the other way (you're probably gonna have to pay for that coffee though). And don't expect a receipt, or any comeback. If spot face tears the bead while putting it on, covers it up somehow and your tyre rapidly decompresses whilst you're leant over in a corner I promise not to laugh.

As for disposal, ATS pass the charge to you at cost, about £1.50, balance and valve also costs another 3 or 4 quid. If these costs are similar at your local bike place, he made about 8 quid off you before having to pay his own wage, premises, business insurance, equipment, electricity, H+S signage......................

I suspect you're just bitter that actually it cost you just as much in the long run. In short, you're getting no sympathy from me. Had the guy made a buck from selling you the tyres in the first place though.......

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 19:59 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Not greedy... poor.

I am going to do it myself.

Seriously paying 20 quid right now would mean going without food for at least a day within the next 2 weeks

A) You're spending too much money on a day's worth of food.

B) If you use your bike to commute to/from work, and you weren't able to ride it to/from work... How much would you lose in wages if you couldn't get there? THIS is the true value of getting a pair of tyres changed. I suspect £20 is well worth it. IMO.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

£20, £10 per tyre to fit, £5 per tyre for disposal.

That's what I'm paying now, perfectly reasonable.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:41 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
perfectly reasonable.

Unlike you. Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:09 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Courier265 wrote:
perfectly reasonable.

Unlike you. Laughing

4ft 3 is reasonable enough.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, if you want to do it cheaper then buy the equipment to DIY.

Job Jobbed.

It will take you about two or three years to recover the outlay for the savings though. Smile

Only benefit is the convenience of not needing to find a tyre fitter's shop.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local tip here charge £3 or £4 a tyre for disposal. A local garage changes my tyres for a tenner each on loose wheels including disposal.

I think that's a good deal personally. Everywhere else nearby wants near £20 a loose wheels, rip off bastards

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:34 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Robby when you need him?

You can't run a performance bike on a shoestring, so either don't try, or get a better paid job.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:49 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One niner, you're not going to be cleared for takeoff until you pay the airport fees you've incurred.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4