Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How much is a reasonable price to replace types?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're complaining that you can't spend 20 quid to have something done on your motorcycle that needs to be done and need the 20 quid for food, then you need to either sort out your budgeting skills or stop riding a bike if you can't do both.

ಠ_ಠ

u33db
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:38 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: How much is a reasonable price to replace types? Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
So today have had a bit of a debate with a few people and its wound me up and I need more opinions....

See I dont think 20 quid to replace 2 tyres when your delivering the wheels off the bike is reasonable at all... If they were manually removing them with clamps irons and elbow grease then yeah sure 20 is a bargain. But theyre not. Its a hydrolic press that breaks the bead and pops the tyre off in a press of a button.

In total to do 2 wheels cant take more than 2-5 minutes... Personally I just cant see how 20 quid is justifiable in that regard.

5 quid a tyre I would say is reasonable because its the price of convenience. But 10 quid is a rip off...

How much are you charged for this service?

Of course I have taken into consideration there are costs such as maintenance of the equipment and time and rents... yet I still cant see how 20 quid for 5 minutes work, and the minuscule amount of ware that might be caused to the machine, is justifiable.

Back in the day I was a freelance graphics and special effects artist.

Where I would charge 300 a day for highly technical skilled work. 12% of that was taken by my agent... Break that down hourly that was 37 quid an hour...

Break that down to minutes thats £3.08 for 5 minutes work. Bare in mind I also had costs, I had to pay for my own travel my agent fees a living... And most of all it was a highly skilled technical job. It was indeed very good money... But it also didnt have the security of work every day...

Now compare that to the job of replacing a couple of tyres. You place the wheels on the press... Press a button. Tyre is pushed off. You line up the arrows and place new tyre over wheel, and press a button. New tyre is pushed on... All in all takes roughly 5 minutes to do the two tyres. How the hell can 20 quid for what is essentially a trivial task (when you have the equipment) justifiable? And youre a business with the security of daily income in one form of another,

I am honestly considering just doing it my self with some irons and a gclamp. Sure its hard work might take a hour or two but I save 20 quid which in my life currently isnt a trivial amount of money.

Sorry this is just belittling to tyre fitters really.

Sure it might not be as technical as your fancy graphics artist job but your completely forget how physical the job is (hour after hour of lifting tyres and wheels, doing it in cold weather etc) as well as the vast expense of buying the equipment in the first place.

It also carries a high degree of responsibility given your are fitting an item that has a significant role in dictating a drivers/riders safety!

Put it like this if you screwed up in your graphics job whats the worst that could happen? Probably somebody doesn't like your picture or whatever. If a tyre fitter screw up and a wheel falls off/tyre deflates as a valve hasn't been fitted correctly people get dead!

By the way I'm actually a software engineer, i suppose also a "highly technical" role but in no way would I trivialise a tyre fitters job. I also actually have manual tyre changer at home for doing my own tyres and having done that I can tell you that fitting them is in know way "easy"; i can happily do 8 hours a day in front of my computer but after 2 hours doing tyres i'm physically screwed.

When you think about it this way £10 a wheel is pretty decent isn't it?

Cough up or man up and do it yourself.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:44 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: How much is a reasonable price to replace types? Reply with quote

Once my Garage is up and running I'm going to try to find a S/h Tire machine. Fucking doing it with levers tbh it is shit. It's not the money for me as much as it is is the inconvenience. The ONLY time I can do to a tire place is Saturday morning. I do not wish to lose half a saturday to fitting tyres, when I could do it one evening instead.

My local council takes tyres as long as you do not bring more than 4 at a time. My local bike mechanic takes his down there as and when, I think he has his mates on alert to grab a few if they are going to the tip.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£10 a tyre that I had bought cheap off the internet? I'd say yes please.

You really have a weird idea of what constitutes value for money. A shop charges what £50 an hour labour? 2 tyres, 20 minutes to remove old, fit new and balance wheels and you expect £5 a wheel Laughing .

FFS, if I knew a tyre fitter with access to a tyre machine I'd chuck him a fiver to fit it on the 'get yourself a drink' principle, not a shop. In fact if I was that tyre place I'd probably only fit tyres bought from my establishment. Then fitting would be free.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:17 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

no... it takes 5 ,minutes for the lot, no balancing is done.

I honestly would never ask for 20 quid for any task that takes 5 minutes... no matter the task...

honestly if the job involved fixing or replacing a valve and balancing as well then sure 20 quid is good. but im talking about the basic replacing the tyre...

Last edited by NutsyUk on 12:25 - 03 Aug 2018; edited 2 times in total

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:23 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

I honestly would never ask for 20 quid for any task that takes 5 minutes... no matter the task...

Sweet £10 blowjobs. Laughing

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:26 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:

Sweet £10 blowjobs. Laughing

Thats reserved for special friends ...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:27 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
I honestly would never ask for 20 quid for any task that takes 5 minutes... no matter the task..

My call out charge is half hour minimum, regardless of 2 minute fix or 29 minute fix.

Half hour is £30, hour is £50. Sometimes all I do is unplug something and plug it back in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:30 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:
I honestly would never ask for 20 quid for any task that takes 5 minutes... no matter the task..

My call out charge is half hour minimum, regardless of 2 minute fix or 29 minute fix.

Half hour is £30, hour is £50. Sometimes all I do is unplug something and plug it back in.

again thats different thats callout charge... hes not coming to me to replace the tyres...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:32 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

honestly if the job involved fixing or replacing a valve and balancing as well then sure 20 quid is good. but im talking about the basic replacing the tyre...

They kind of have to do that...? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:36 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:

They kind of have to do that...? Confused

well he doesnt that service is extra... this is 20 quid for just replacing tyres....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:49 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much for balancing?

Just go to a different garage?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presume you've not found anyone to do that 5 minutes unskilled labour cheaper yet then? Nope, didn't think so. Can't think why.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:51 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
How much for balancing?

Just go to a different garage?

that i dont know... last time i had him change the tyres was on the shitty lexmoto and i didnt bother with balancing...

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:55 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Presume you've not found anyone to do that 5 minutes unskilled labour cheaper yet then? Nope, didn't think so. Can't think why.

no like ste just said, im going to go with someone else that does it and includes balancing...

I was going to do it yesterday, but i cant find the rim protectors, and while i tried a little without them im scared the force i have to put in the irons will damage the rims without the protectors... so no. i will have to get it done. Just not with this guy...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:10 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
again thats different thats callout charge... hes not coming to me to replace the tyres...

I go to people, people come to me.

Sometimes, I don't even leave my seat.

It is a service, someone offers... you can take or leave.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutsy, £5 to do any job involving someone else's labour in today's day and age isn't going to happen whatever you think.

I said jokingly earlier, a fiver to a mate with a tyre machine and get yourself a drink. Well in the glorious south of England there are many places you wouldn't get a drink for a fiver and I'd probably feel a bit cheapskate giving him that.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:47 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

seems reasonable to me based on hourly rates and overheads etc, most jobs these days you have a minimum rate based on x amount of hours anyway or with the engineers we work with hour rate and travel rate. friend owns a garage, when i had a puncture he did a quick 2min mushroom plug jobbie for me, gave him a tenner for the help, if the guy is a tosser then by all means i wouldnt be handing over £20 but for a local business if the guy is sound, sounds all good to me

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: How much is a reasonable price to replace types? Reply with quote

u33db wrote:

It also carries a high degree of responsibility given your are fitting an item that has a significant role in dictating a drivers/riders safety!

Put it like this if you screwed up in your graphics job whats the worst that could happen? Probably somebody doesn't like your picture or whatever. If a tyre fitter screw up and a wheel falls off/tyre deflates as a valve hasn't been fitted correctly people get dead!

Having cocked up a graphics job that made it through print, it cost the company about £1000 sorting out the re-print on a major order when you factor in carriage and placating the client etc

has anyone factored in liability insurance into the tyre fitter's costs?
If the tyre blows off the rim due to anything being missed or not done properly and the car causes a pileup....

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
One niner, you're not going to be cleared for takeoff until you pay the airport fees you've incurred.

Wot ya gunna do?

Shoot me down?

Razz

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing complaining about 20 quid to change the tyres when you bring them in yourself is pretty cheeky tbh.

It's been the going rate (ish) for many years, some will do it for free if you bring in loose wheels (but buy the tyres from them understandably)

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:14 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get off my arse for someone to hand me a fiver, it buys you fuck all these days.

It's like when someone goes into a garage and says can you adjust my chain and they say yes that'll be £25 because that's our minimum labour charge even though it literally takes 30 seconds. It's just not worth the hassle for such a tiny sum of cash.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_e wrote:
I wouldn't get off my arse for someone to hand me a fiver, it buys you fuck all these days.

It's like when someone goes into a garage and says can you adjust my chain and they say yes that'll be £25 because that's our minimum labour charge even though it literally takes 30 seconds. It's just not worth the hassle for such a tiny sum of cash.

Or like the people who base their fuel fill ups on a fixed amount of cash then complain the following day that they've used it all so quickly.

ಠ_ಠ

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:00 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitting tyres to loose wheels could well be included if you buy the tyres from them rather than from the internet.

OP has had the tyres fitted today?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would still be far cheaper, better choice and newer stock if you buy online and pay their fee to fit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4