BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Barn finds

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Barn finds Reply with quote

I got me a hankerin' for a project. I want a 70s bike with some kind of heritage to fix up. I want chrome, spokes and at least one front disc. Something like a Honda 400 Four, or 350, 360 etc.

I've seen the kind of price premium ebay commands for having the hallowed 'not seen a spanner in 20 years' and frankly it's inappropriate.

What's the story then, where do people find shitters without the ebay tax?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try watching the classified ads in Practical Sportsbikes and Classic Mechanics magazines. Firstly, they narrow down to nearer the kind of thing you're looking for. I'm not saying the prices are necessarily more realistic than Ebay, but some do come up for not silly money now and again - just needs a bit of patience. Certain models of course will always command high prices, as they're only getting rarer, but I think you'd have a chance of finding something that appeals in those publications.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:29 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With any old bike the story is much the same, you pay over the odds now and in 10yrs time everyone will tell you how lucky you were getting it that cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:03 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Barn finds Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
where do people find shitters without the ebay tax?

In barns.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Barn finds Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
UnknownStuntman wrote:
where do people find shitters without the ebay tax?

In barns.

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/ then. Cheers.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:32 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niche bikes often change hands in owners clubs.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, if your dad was into bikes, or an uncle or other older relative*, see who they still know from their heyday - maybe through such contacts you might find someone who has something they'd be willing to part with.

*Guess I'm making a bit of an assumption about your age here, sorry if I've got it wrong.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick a :wanted: ad on the forum too.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Good point. Bike nights can be a good shout too.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

look for abandoned projects, they're like barn finds but come already packed into boxes to take away, the downside is some bits may be missing or already bodged.

The advantage is, they get skimmed over in listings because they don't look like the full vehicle and people can't picture the end result of the restoration.

69.9mph
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:09 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Also, who you know is often more important than what you can google.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
look for abandoned projects, they're like barn finds but come already packed into boxes to take away, the downside is some bits may be missing or already bodged.

If you go down this road, try and find out the genuine reason why the project stalled - was it because parts are hard to track down?

On the same theme, whatever you look at, do your research and before you get your wallet out, make sure you can find parts; any sort of parts will do, if it's something especially hard to find, even having a poor condition part for comparison, means you might be able to find something similar that will do the job, or have something made.

Also, if you're looking at some thing rare (and I don't just mean because it's so old there aren't many left) find out why; did it turn out to have some sort of catastrophic reliability problem (VF750S) or was it just generally shit and nobody ever thought to save it (CJ250T).

Aside from running out of money (and don't underestimate how much projects can snowball out of control) the above are probably the two most common reasons I see for failure in the classic car world.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 06:55 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

as others have said, classics mags and classifieds, facebook marketplace (or potentially owners groups) and scumtree.

Whatever your budget for total spend after restoration, have about 3x whatever you think you need to hand. and be prepared to put some miles (and time) in tracking shit down.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join a few Facebook selling pages. I bought my VFR off an advert on a page called THE BIKE BAY (yes, all caps).
It’s quite regular to see posts along the lines of “got £700 to spend, what’s about over 1000cc with less than 15k on the clocks” so brace yourself for idiocy.

Although, there was a beautiful moment the other day when everybody collectively ripped into an illiterate chav for trying to buy a twin exhaust for a WR125X

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Join a few Facebook selling pages. I bought my VFR off an advert on a page called THE BIKE BAY (yes, all caps).
It’s quite regular to see posts along the lines of “got £700 to spend, what’s about over 1000cc with less than 15k on the clocks” so brace yourself for idiocy.

Although, there was a beautiful moment the other day when everybody collectively ripped into an illiterate chav for trying to buy a twin exhaust for a WR125X

im on a page like this for cars

half the posts are and I quote

wont car £300 must be good condition 1.2 diesal auto must have three years mot

that may actually be spelt better then most
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1