Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hit car from behind after it pulled out.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Hit car from behind after it pulled out. Reply with quote

So. Not me - a friend of a friend...

She's driving along in a 60 (doing 60) - long clear straight with a cross-road halfway.

Being a car driver. She obvious carried on at 60 without checking if there were any knobheads around.

Young female driver pulls out to go same way as my friends friend. Accelerates to 20 and site there.

Friend of a friend slams breaks on and turns to avoid. Slide into her rear quarter. Minimal damage to her. Friend of a friend needs new bumper.

Insurance company pushing for friend of a friend to accept liability.

No dashcam.
No CCTV.

Should she just accept it?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:23 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a cunt hits the car in front. If you are that close that you can't avoid a collision, you were too close. If I hit someone up the arse, unless they literally stood on the brakes at 70+ and had no brake lights, I'd have to accept it was my lack of skill that caused a crunch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Only a cunt hits the car in front. If you are that close that you can't avoid a collision, you were too close. If I hit someone up the arse, unless they literally stood on the brakes at 70+ and had no brake lights, I'd have to accept it was my lack of skill that caused a crunch.

Agree paddy.

But as I wrote. She was pulled out on and slammed the brakes on immediately. 👍

Other than her not doing 60 in the first place, how else would you advise she should have handled it? 🤔
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but think that if the car that pulled out had time to accelerate to 20mph from a standstill, and then just 'sit' at that speed, your acquaintance should have had time to slow enough not to hit it.

Also, on a road with a 60mph speed limit and a junction, especially with someone wanting to pull out of that junction, I'd have slowed a little on approach just in case, and been ready for the car to pull out. Poor obs on the part of your acquaintance? Or assuming that other road users will take a particular course of action? Either way, fail.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I suppose the deciding factor would be how far from the junction did the accident happen?

If it was more than 73M from the junction (Stopping distance at 60mph) , your friend of a friend wouldn't have a leg to stand on, less than that and he may have a case.

About 20ft past the junction.

Apparently the girl that was driving, did the same thing 5 years ago on an artic (at the same junction.)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Hit car from behind after it pulled out. Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Young female driver pulls out to go same way as my friends friend. Accelerates to 20 and site there.

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
[The collision occurred] About 20ft past the junction.

In which case I'd say we aren't being given accurate information somewhere.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I can't help but think that if the car that pulled out had time to accelerate to 20mph from a standstill, and then just 'sit' at that speed, your acquaintance should have had time to slow enough not to hit it.

Also, on a road with a 60mph speed limit and a junction, especially with someone wanting to pull out of that junction, I'd have slowed a little on approach just in case, and been ready for the car to pull out. Poor obs on the part of your acquaintance? Or assuming that other road users will take a particular course of action? Either way, fail.

Pretty much the same thing I said. I'd have been doing 45/50 approaching the junction - expecting knobheads activity.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Hit car from behind after it pulled out. Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Thanks for your input. 🙄 Everyone else seems to understand the logistics of it.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Hit car from behind after it pulled out. Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Thanks for your input. 🙄 Everyone else seems to understand the logistics of it.

Well, I think my point is that you say that your acquaintance said that having accelerated to 20mph, the other driver then just sat at that speed. Which implies to me doing 20mph for more than a foot or two.

20ft is just over three times my physical height, to put that in some perspective. That's not far. So something isn't right in what either you or your acquaintance have said. Given the frequency with which people misjudge speeds and distances or even try to paint themselves in a better light than was actually the case, I'm just a little suspicious. Perhaps I'm just being misled by the 'just sat there' bit. My intention wasn't to cause upset Smile

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So perhaps she is shit with distances? Laughing

Think pulled out on with no chance of stopping - that's as accurate as I can get because that's what happened 👍 everything else she has said is open to her interpretation of the situation.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Think pulled out on with no chance of stopping - that's as accurate as I can get because that's what happened 👍

Fair enough Smile

Kill the stupid bitch that pulled out Laughing

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the artic she tried it on last time did a valiant effort. He still failed though.

Do what I'm hearing is both to blame. Bitches be shit at driving. She should take the insurances companies advice and learn to approach junctions slower?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

No police. Asking her about photos now.

Update to description of events....: (Women)
She now says the car wasn't just "doing 20"... It pulled out on her and only got up to 20 - then stopped for no reason.

She says it was about 30m from the junction. 👍

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other driver is also now disputing that she stopped at all. 🤦‍♂️

Game over I think.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos wise.

She has shots of both cars separately... And the skid marks.

No shots of both cars in situ. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
I suppose the deciding factor would be how far from the junction did the accident happen?

If it was more than 73M from the junction (Stopping distance at 60mph) , your friend of a friend wouldn't have a leg to stand on, less than that and he may have a case.

About 20ft past the junction.

Apparently the girl that was driving, did the same thing 5 years ago on an artic (at the same junction.)

Confused

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same happened to me a few years ago:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=248198&highlight=

I hit the old duffer in the back of his car, which to be fair was about the only option.

Found 100% in my favour, plus damages for broken wrist, gear etc.

So no, only a cunt doesn't always hit the guy in front!

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

janner_10 wrote:
Same happened to me a few years ago:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=248198&highlight=

I hit the old duffer in the back of his car, which to be fair was about the only option.

Found 100% in my favour, plus damages for broken wrist, gear etc.

Wow. Good result!

If you don't mind me asking... With no camera evidence and your word against his... What swung it in your favour? And do you know why the Cps chose to pursue him for driving without due care in the first place?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:10 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

janner_10 wrote:

So your lack of awareness joined with someone else's lack of awareness was all his fault.. k Laughing

Maybe we are different, but I would rather slam my brakes on when I see someone pull out than think 'theyll speed up'

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you just like argueing Paddy? 😁🤣

His sounds the same as the one I'm describing. Car pulls out with no way of stopping - even with brakes slammed on.

You are agreeing with his course of action - but insisting if it was you, the brakes would have worked better? 🤔

I hear your reasoning. And I agree - but you are responding to a different situation. Vlogger762 that speeds up when someone pulls out to get better footage - expecting him to speed up - and he doesn't... That's who you are aiming at.

👍

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Only a cunt hits the car in front.

That's a quote from an old British TV Road Safety film.

Only a Fool Breaks the Two Seconds Rule.

Clunk Click Every Trip.

https://youtu.be/IzEmuhP1ZT4

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Nope.

No police. Asking her about photos now.

Update to description of events....: (Women)
She now says the car wasn't just "doing 20"... It pulled out on her and only got up to 20 - then stopped for no reason.

She says it was about 30m from the junction. 👍

This is why I tell people to fit Dashcams . . . .
Any Google images of the junction ?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2