Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Crappy bike won’t work

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:31 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Crappy bike won’t work Reply with quote

Hey guys
I feel like I’ve been fixing this forever.
It’s a Yamaha xs500 1975

I bought it ages ago and here’s the story.
A few months ago it I couldn’t getting running right after putting pods on it. I took it to a mechanic and he rebuilt and adjusted the carbs.
On the way home it didn’t feel that great, when I got home about an hour later I went to take it back out but it wouldn’t start. I put a new plug in and it seemed fine. I think took the engine apart to replace a gasket and reassembled it.

Today
I put a new set of plugs in (just for piece of mind), it started and idled fine this morning. I then got my gear on and went to go out on it an hour later, it started fine but then one cylinder stopped. It cut out then wouldn’t start again. I put another new plug in the left side and it was fine I took it around the block and came back.

This evening I went to use it and it wouldn’t start again. I pulled the plugs and rest them on the head to check. The left was not working again, i replaced it it with a new one then checked again. I then went to take it around the block but it didn’t make it 50 metres before dying. It wouldn’t start. I pulled the plugs and rest them on the head to check spark it looks fine.

I really feel like I’m going crazy.

At this point absolutely any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

HT leads? Or you bought a load of plugs from the same cheap ebayer and they are all shite? 🤣👍

Can't think of anything else immediately.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not trying to ride it 'warmed up' with the choke on are you?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:09 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the pods off, put the airbox back on then try again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:26 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
You're not trying to ride it 'warmed up' with the choke on are you?

Nope

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:27 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Take the pods off, put the airbox back on then try again.

Carbs are Jetted and adjusted for the pods

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:27 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
HT leads? Or you bought a load of plugs from the same cheap ebayer and they are all shite? 🤣👍

Can't think of anything else immediately.

Leads are fine, I tested them a while back. The plug caps are also new.the plugs are genuine.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the points like? The XS was one of those machines that you had to open up the points on a frustratingly regular basis.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:30 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
What are the points like? The XS was one of those machines that you had to open up the points on a frustratingly regular basis.

Points and timing adjusted by mechanic

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:54 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Points and timing adjusted by mechanic

If points are fine, which they might not be because you haven't checked yet, your mechanic might have checked them but it really is something you need to start doing for yourself, and you are happy with HT leads and plugs, then that takes you to the coils.
You don't want to start messing with those until you have done as Marjay recommended - he didn't say that the carbs weren't jetted correctly but was suggesting that you may have an air issue between the carbs and airbox. If you have a compression tester it wouldn't hurt to take some readings, make a note of them and check every so often, keep a log of the readings and it will let you know if or when you have any compression issues.

True story: I had quite a lot of old XS twins back in the 90's and used to pick up non runners from the breakers for 100 quid a pop, open points and ride off, much to amusement of the chap who ran the place. Then run into the ground for six to twelve months, fuck it up properly and go trade it with a 100 quid for another one. Great engines, pretty much indestructible, but were prone to electrical gremlins.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:34 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

If points are fine, which they might not be because you haven't checked yet, your mechanic might have checked them but it really is something you need to start doing for yourself, and you are happy with HT leads and plugs, then that takes you to the coils.
You don't want to start messing with those until you have done as Marjay recommended - he didn't say that the carbs weren't jetted correctly but was suggesting that you may have an air issue between the carbs and airbox. If you have a compression tester it wouldn't hurt to take some readings, make a note of them and check every so often, keep a log of the readings and it will let you know if or when you have any compression issues.

True story: I had quite a lot of old XS twins back in the 90's and used to pick up non runners from the breakers for 100 quid a pop, open points and ride off, much to amusement of the chap who ran the place. Then run into the ground for six to twelve months, fuck it up properly and go trade it with a 100 quid for another one. Great engines, pretty much indestructible, but were prone to electrical gremlins.

The points are fine
Valve clearances are fine
It has pod filters so no air box
No leaks before/after carbs
Coils are new
Condenser is new
Plugs new
Plug caps new
Ht leads are fine

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:42 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight, it started running badly after you took the airbox off and replaced it with pods but you haven't tried refitting the airbox to see how it runs? Confused

At least give it a try if not just to eliminate it as the really obvious possible cause of the problems.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:43 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding pods = nah.

Genuinely, revert to stock with airbox etc and that will work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:30 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
So let me get this straight, it started running badly after you took the airbox off and replaced it with pods but you haven't tried refitting the airbox to see how it runs? Confused

At least give it a try if not just to eliminate it as the really obvious possible cause of the problems.

I’m 100% certain it’s not the pods. It’s akways had a problem cutting out and/or firing on one cylinder.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:46 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I couldn’t getting running right after putting pods on it"

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:50 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"I couldn’t getting running right after putting pods on it"
Very Happy

I know, I know.
I had the problem of it cutting out both before and after the pods. I couldn’t get it running because the jets weren’t the right size.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:51 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there are no problems any more?

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:53 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it’s an electrical problem. The carbs have been rebuilt and adjusted by a mechanic so I can rule that out. Timing and points are fine.
The problem is very intermittent. If it was a carb issue it would be a bit more constant.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:21 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carbs being rebuilt and adjusted, was that when "on the way home it didn’t feel that great? ?

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:37 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The carbs being rebuilt and adjusted, was that when "on the way home it didn’t feel that great? ?

Yea, then I put a new plug in and it was fine.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been the unfortunate owner of both an XS250 and an XS 400 in the past, I can confirm that they seem to like to fire on only one cylinder for no apparent reason on a common basis.
My mantra was points, condenser, coils, HT leads, plug caps, and then plugs.
Most of the time I would find the problem somewhere in that lot.
After that it would be time to look at those stupid vacuum operated carbs and that stupid vacuum operated fuel tap Evil or Very Mad
I ended up replacing the diaphragms on mine.
It’s an old bike and rubbery bits go all slurrrgh after that many years.

You could always do what I did to solve the problem ....... I got rid of mine Thumbs Up ...... my life is a lot calmer now Thumbs Up Smile

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
I think it’s an electrical problem.

So do I. You now have two options, throw money at it and if you are lucky you might stumble on the problem before you run out of cash or start back at the beginning and check through absolutely everything that is essential for a running engine - air, fuel and sparky stuff.

First rule of motorcycle maintenance - don't think that every mechanic you pay is God with a spanner.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:52 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

My mantra was points, condenser, coils, HT leads, plug caps, and then plugs.
Most of the time I would find the problem somewhere in that lot.
After that it would be time to look at those stupid vacuum operated carbs and that stupid vacuum operated fuel tap Evil or Very Mad
I ended up replacing the diaphragms on mine.
It’s an old bike and rubbery bits go all slurrrgh after that many years.

You could always do what I did to solve the problem ....... I got rid of mine Thumbs Up ...... my life is a lot calmer now Thumbs Up Smile

Points look fine, condenser is new, coils are new, plug caps are new, plugs are new, thanks leads are fine.

Carb diaphragms replaced a while ago.
Non original tank so standard fuel taps not vacuum ones. (Fuel tap new also).

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:53 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Jay2903 wrote:
I think it’s an electrical problem.

So do I. You now have two options, throw money at it and if you are lucky you might stumble on the problem before you run out of cash or start back at the beginning and check through absolutely everything that is essential for a running engine - air, fuel and sparky stuff.

First rule of motorcycle maintenance - don't think that every mechanic you pay is God with a spanner.

I’ve already thrown money at it. There’s nothing left to replace

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:41 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you add a fuel filter?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2