Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

YZFR125 - stuck Pinton Pin

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

jtheobald
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:17 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: YZFR125 - stuck Pinton Pin Reply with quote

Hi,

Son's bike seized as ran out of oil Mr. Green Mr. Green . Piston disintegrated. Removed cylinder etc and piston, but the pin is stuck. I understand best way to remove is to heat the conrod - my question is will this destroy the conrod and it will need to be replaced before fitting a new piston?

All advice must appreciated

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: YZFR125 - stuck Pinton Pin Reply with quote

jtheobald wrote:
Removed cylinder etc and piston, but the pin is stuck. I understand best way to remove is to heat the conrod - my question is will this destroy the conrod and it will need to be replaced before fitting a new piston?

Do you mean the gudgeon pin's siezed in the little end of the con rod?

You could pull it out, using a bolt or some studding up the middle of the gudgeon pin, a tube (box spanner, bit of pipe... or whatever) over the outside of the gudgeon pin, and a big flat washer (or a thick piece of metal woith a suitably sized hole in it). Yes, some heat would be OK (200-250 C).

Don't put sideways strain on the con rod, or you're likely to knacker the big end, that's if it's still OK now.

You will have to undertake a careful clean-up of the inside of the engine if there're metal fragments in it.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 14:21 - 08 Aug 2018; edited 2 times in total

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:50 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is thegudgeon pin stuck in the little end or in the piston ?
Have the gudgeon pin circlips been removed?
If genuinely siezed... what else has been damaged through oil starvation?
If conrod stuck on gudgeon to piston, is the conrid a split plain shell bearing at the bottom?
Does crank need regrind or rebuild, and new bearings, big ends and mains?
What state the bore? Piston? Piston Rings?
What about the two camshafts running in the head, usually first things to suffer when enginev starved of oil?
getting piston off conrod could, in the grand sceme be rather irrelevent, if most of the rest of the engine needs replacing anyway......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jtheobald
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:23 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: YZFR125 - stuck Pinton Pin Reply with quote

YZFR125. Thanks for responding. Yes, I do mean gudgeon pin. I have tried to pull it out but it's very much stuck. I agree and worred that metal fragments are in the engine casing so I'm thinking ig having engine rebuild.
Riejufixing wrote:
jtheobald wrote:
Removed cylinder etc and piston, but the pin is stuck. I understand best way to remove is to heat the conrod - my question is will this destroy the conrod and it will need to be replaced before fitting a new piston?

Edit: What bike?

Do you mean the gudgeon pin's siezed in the little end of the con rod?

You could pull it out, using a bolt or some studding up the middle of the gudgeon pin, a tube (box spanner, bit of pipe... or whatever) over the outside of the gudgeon pin, and a big flat washer (or a thick piece of metal woith a suitably sized hole in it). Yes, some heat would be OK (200-250 C).

Don't put sideways strain on the con rod, or you're likely to knacker the big end, that's if it's still OK now.

You will have to undertake a careful clean-up of the inside of the engine if there're metal fragments in it.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:25 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: YZFR125 - stuck Pinton Pin Reply with quote

jtheobald wrote:
YZFR125. Thanks for responding. Yes, I do mean gudgeon pin. I have tried to pull it out but it's very much stuck. I agree and worred that metal fragments are in the engine casing so I'm thinking ig having engine rebuild.

Nope, buy a second hand engine on ebay and swap it out. It'll be cheaper and faster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jtheobald
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:27 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding. Piston shot and left the gudgeon pin. Rings broken and piston warped and damaged, I think there is nothing other than an engine rebuild to fix. I agree pin may be the least of my problems
Teflon-Mike wrote:
Is thegudgeon pin stuck in the little end or in the piston ?
Have the gudgeon pin circlips been removed?
If genuinely siezed... what else has been damaged through oil starvation?
If conrod stuck on gudgeon to piston, is the conrid a split plain shell bearing at the bottom?
Does crank need regrind or rebuild, and new bearings, big ends and mains?
What state the bore? Piston? Piston Rings?
What about the two camshafts running in the head, usually first things to suffer when enginev starved of oil?
getting piston off conrod could, in the grand sceme be rather irrelevent, if most of the rest of the engine needs replacing anyway......

jtheobald
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:28 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: YZFR125 - stuck Pinton Pin Reply with quote

Thought about this and I agree but there no guarantee I am not buying a dud
MarJay wrote:
jtheobald wrote:

Nope, buy a second hand engine on ebay and swap it out. It'll be cheaper and faster.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:37 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: YZFR125 - stuck Pinton Pin Reply with quote

jtheobald wrote:
Thought about this and I agree but there no guarantee I am not buying a dud
MarJay wrote:
jtheobald wrote:

You'll be forever fixing that thing. It'll want a full strip and a replacement conrod anyway. It'll never be the same regardless. A replacement engine is the safer route and pay with paypal for the sweet buyers security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: YZFR125 - stuck Pinton Pin Reply with quote

jtheobald wrote:

Sorry, I edited in "What bike" just as I realised it was in the title. Better lay off the gin for a while...

Can you post a couple of pictures? That would be helpful to see what the damage might be.

When you say you've tried to pull it out - how?

The price of a rebuild seems to be about £500. This same engine is also used in a couple of other bikes BTW.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope son is responsible for teas, clean-up and coughing up some of the cash?

He has to learn the hard way.
But the lesson learned that way is seldom forgotten.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:25 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be easier removed on the bench. Then you can just rest the side of the piston against a suitable tube and drift the pin out into it.

If it's seized in the small end, you're probably looking at a crank replacement/rebuild anyway because as far as I can see, it's a plain small end. Although the big-end is a roller bearing which will be more tolerant of oil starvation than a floating bush.

Any vertical play on the conrod? If there is, you're looking at a minimum of a crank rebuild and the viability of the motor is highly questionable because if those bearings have gone, what else has? There are more crashed R 1/8ths out there than there are blown up ones, this generates a surplus of engines.
bits of piston in every part of the motor.

EDIT: If I read one of your above posts correctly and it's ripped the gudgeon pin out of the bottom of the piston, I'd be amazed if it hasn't also bent the conrod. The pin probably wont move because it's bent too. The forces involved with this type of failure happening are astonishing and the metal becomes pretty plastic. Your episton went from moving at an appreciable fraction of the speed of sound to a full stop in a couple of mm. That's a lot of energy to dissipate as (mostly) heat. I've seen a conrod bent a full 360 degrees. It may even have bent the crankpin.

There will certainly be assorted alloy and hardened steel fragments strewn about in the crankcase, if the piston's been ripped in half, it's a deffo full strip. I've rebuilt enough engines after that to know the bits get literally everywhere. In the three or four revolutions the motor manages to do post self-destruct, it will have picked up alloy fragments and tried to pump them round the oilways and valvegear too.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 17:34 - 08 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:29 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: YZFR125 - stuck Pinton Pin Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
This same engine is also used in a couple of other bikes BTW.

Sure?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: YZFR125 - stuck Pinton Pin Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
This same engine is also used in a couple of other bikes BTW.

Sure?

As far as I'm aware 125cc engines: Yamaha YZF-R125, WR125, MT-125, Rieju 125 RS3 and variants (but carb'd rather than injectors). Were I to consider a swap I would carefully consider the year as well as the model. There may be other variants and variations.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:56 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yeah, the MT and WR use it now, Rieju was carved, so ball ache.

jtheobald
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:57 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: YZFR125 - stuck Pinton Pin Reply with quote

Hi, all really good advice. The gudgeon pin is well and truly stuck and could be bend. The conrod looks ok slightly moved side to side but not put and down.

Due to the fact that I would have to change the logbook, mileage would be wrong and to not raise suspicion I think I will have it rebuild.

Thanks all, you have been immense.

BTW, Son now in US so no tea etc!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:14 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.

It's easy to change the engine number though. You just get a letter from a garage on headed paper stating the registration and frame number and confirming it now has engine number XXX fitted then send it off with the completed logbook. Doesn't even cost anything. I did one earlier this year.

A receipt for the replacement engine with the number on will also suffice instead of a letter.

In terms of the mileage, the only time you'd be risking problems is if you SELL it with an incorrect/misrepresented mileage. That said, the mileage goes with the chassis, not the engine. If you fitted a brand new engine, you couldn't set it to zero so your mileage will still be be correct. My current bike is on its 4th speedo. When you look at the MOT history, the recorded mileage fluctuates up and down wildly.

jtheobald
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:02 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advice. If somebody looked up the history for the bike, would it state it's had a new engine? Does t
stinkwheel wrote:
Fair enough.

It's easy to change the engine number though. You just get a letter from a garage on headed paper stating the registration and frame number and confirming it now has engine number XXX fitted then send it off with the completed logbook. Doesn't even cost anything. I did one earlier this year.

A receipt for the replacement engine with the number on will also suffice instead of a letter.

In terms of the mileage, the only time you'd be risking problems is if you SELL it with an incorrect/misrepresented mileage. That said, the mileage goes with the chassis, not the engine. If you fitted a brand new engine, you couldn't set it to zero so your mileage will still be be correct. My current bike is on its 4th speedo. When you look at the MOT history, the recorded mileage fluctuates up and down wildly.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You just get a letter from a garage on headed paper stating the registration and frame number and confirming it now has engine number XXX fitted then send it off with the completed logbook. Doesn't even cost anything. I did one earlier this year.

I didn't even need to do that. Filled in new engine number, printout out of "you bought this" ebay auction for the engine. 2 weeks later, updated V5.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:31 - 13 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtheobald wrote:
Thanks for advice. If somebody looked up the history for the bike, would it state it's had a new engine? Does t

Genuinely don't know. But consider this. You are worrying about the potential resale value of a motorcycle which currently has a grenaded piston and a bent gudgeon pin stuck in the crank.

If you spend more time on this forum, you'll realise a 17 year old will buy pretty much any old piece of crap proving he thinks it looks good enough to get attention from girls. They are not discerning when being lead along by the cock. Then they come on here when it breaks down and get humpty when they are told they just bought a piece of crap.

So I seriously doubt, in the unlikely event it does show up on an enhanced HPI check or whatever, that your target market would even look beyond the colour.

jtheobald
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:37 - 13 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, well-made thanks and amusing. I am in no rush and can have rebuilt for approx. £400 so will do that. Thanks for replies.
stinkwheel wrote:
jtheobald wrote:

Genuinely don't know. But consider this. You are worrying about the potential resale value of a motorcycle which currently has a grenaded piston and a bent gudgeon pin stuck in the crank.

If you spend more time on this forum, you'll realise a 17 year old will buy pretty much any old piece of crap proving he thinks it looks good enough to get attention from girls. They are not discerning when being lead along by the cock. Then they come on here when it breaks down and get humpty when they are told they just bought a piece of crap.

So I seriously doubt, in the unlikely event it does show up on an enhanced HPI check or whatever, that your target market would even look beyond the colour.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1