BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New bike time

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: New bike time Reply with quote

Fancy a new bike, currently saving up. I'm after something in similar looks to this hayabusa with decent power. The bike won't be kept normal will be made into a survival bike.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b0/ac/c4/b0acc43d323e3760d14c4da6e4a3fb68.jpg

Anyone got any suggestions, don't want a bandit want something more sporty Question

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:26 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like something Judge Dredd would ride

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:28 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass the popcorn

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: New bike time Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Fancy a new bike, currently saving up

If you're currently saving up, then it's not new bike time Wink Come back to us when you've saved enough.
I understand it when you think about this or that bike you might want before you can really afford anything - we've all been there. But by the time you have a decent wad gathered, you'll probably have changed your mind again.

Mind you, at your age, I just took a loan out when I really wanted a particular bike. Otoh, I never thought about building some weird one-off, largely because I knew a) it would cost too much to build anything I would have considered worthwhile, and b) I always wanted something that would be ready to ride from the start.

TheSmiler wrote:
a survival bike.

What exactly is it you intend to survive? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: New bike time Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:
Fancy a new bike, currently saving up

Come back to us when you've saved enough.
I understand it when you think about this or that bike you might want before you can really afford anything - we've all been there. But by the time you have a decent wad gathered, you'll probably have changed your mind again.

Mind you, at your age, I just took a loan out when I really wanted a particular bike. Otoh, I never thought about building some weird one-off, largely because I knew a) it would cost too much to build anything I would have considered worthwhile, and b) I always wanted something that would be ready to ride from the start.

I'm saving the chance of getting in debt, as I'm not after a bike in perfect conditon although I'll have about £1k from this month to throw at it and another £900 from next month with the overtime. Also got £1k left from the £2k I made back in march selling two bikes. I'll be doing this over winter as my other 3 bikes will be cut down to two soon possibly. Hence looking for suggestions now then I can work out how much I'd be best spending.

Survival is all about the urban grind maybe, a modern rat if you want.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass the popcorn
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: New bike time Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Survival is all about the urban grind

Please translate to english.

I'm guessing you want to make a street fighter, with a back tyre that doesn't go round corners and spray it black?

Just buy whatever crashed sportbike/sport tourer is going super cheap on the day you want it. Then get busy with bolt on crap and rattlecans.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: New bike time Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

TheSmiler wrote:
a survival bike.

His own riding.

buy a trike Thumbs Up

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:26 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf is a survival bike! you wont need to save up if it's something like you've pictured £200 should get you a good one Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:42 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiler,

Having a direct access to the things you post both on here and Facebook, I'm worried that a lot of what you do is governed by something else external to you. You want to buy a Hayabusa (or similar I guess) and turn it into a terrible survival bike. You spend tons of money on old K series BMWs. There are other things I've seen but as they could be interpreted in a certain way I'll not mention them here, but it's a recent post on Facebook I'm thinking of particularly.

It just seems like you don't do these things to make yourself happy, but rather you do them because you want people to think of you in a certain way... I'm not really sure why I get this feeling, but it is nevertheless there. It's like you're desperate to get accepted by the communities you've chosen to join somehow.

Having been through my twenties and looking back, I rather wish I'd spent more of it chasing women and doing stupid things on motorcycles (and I did a fair few stupid things!) rather than grinding at work trying to get money, paying a mortgage and generally trying to be more of a grown up than I really was at the time. A lot of this was down to what I thought other people would assume I should do. This is nonsense, I should have cared less about what other people think and more about doing what I wanted. In the end this isn't such a bad thing, It's not like a major life regret, but I'm just illustrating this to warn you that if you fill your young life up with old man bikes and mortgage payments you may well miss out on some of the good stuff...

Apologies for the slightly irrelevant tangent.... In terms of the bike, what I suggest you do is sell the Beemers and buy a 1998 onwards ZX9R for about £1200. Take the bottom fairing off (but leave the top and the ram air pipework) and just ride it. No matt black paint, no yellow radiation symbols... JFRI.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: New bike time Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

Survival is all about the urban grind maybe, a modern rat if you want.

Sammy, you live in Stoke, not Baghdad. You really don’t need something that looks like a reject from Mad Max 3 just to potter to and from the pallet factory.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: New bike time Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Fancy a new bike, currently saving up. I'm after something in similar looks to this hayabusa with decent power. The bike won't be kept normal will be made into a survival bike.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b0/ac/c4/b0acc43d323e3760d14c4da6e4a3fb68.jpg

Anyone got any suggestions, don't want a bandit want something more sporty Question

Just build a survival bike out of an old YBR

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect these types of bike builds are solely to draw attention but when you're amongst other bikers and they ask about it, are you really going to say it's a survival bike?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're saving up to buy a perfectly good bike, to turn it into an impractical, unrideable POS?

Way to go Rolling Eyes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:32 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a plastics write-off R1. Hide as much wiring as you can. Fit renthals and a 250LC headlight.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:59 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old knackered shot hayabusa limping around a scrap yard....are pixar sponsoring this build/thread?

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:22 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Smiler,

Having a direct access to the things you post both on here and Facebook, I'm worried that a lot of what you do is governed by something else external to you. You want to buy a Hayabusa (or similar I guess) and turn it into a terrible survival bike. You spend tons of money on old K series BMWs. There are other things I've seen but as they could be interpreted in a certain way I'll not mention them here, but it's a recent post on Facebook I'm thinking of particularly.

It just seems like you don't do these things to make yourself happy, but rather you do them because you want people to think of you in a certain way... I'm not really sure why I get this feeling, but it is nevertheless there. It's like you're desperate to get accepted by the communities you've chosen to join somehow.

Having been through my twenties and looking back, I rather wish I'd spent more of it chasing women and doing stupid things on motorcycles (and I did a fair few stupid things!) rather than grinding at work trying to get money, paying a mortgage and generally trying to be more of a grown up than I really was at the time. A lot of this was down to what I thought other people would assume I should do. This is nonsense, I should have cared less about what other people think and more about doing what I wanted. In the end this isn't such a bad thing, It's not like a major life regret, but I'm just illustrating this to warn you that if you fill your young life up with old man bikes and mortgage payments you may well miss out on some of the good stuff...

Apologies for the slightly irrelevant tangent.... In terms of the bike, what I suggest you do is sell the Beemers and buy a 1998 onwards ZX9R for about £1200. Take the bottom fairing off (but leave the top and the ram air pipework) and just ride it. No matt black paint, no yellow radiation symbols... JFRI.

I'm happy with my life everything I do is to improve myself for me. I'd rather be paying off the mortgage than wasting it all wasting it on drink.

People like all kinds of bikes that's why there isn't just one type out there. Some like street fighters, cruisers or even customs. Survival is just another type.

Only put this thread up as I'm looking at something a bit more modern and faster but I hate the look of most sport bikes. I've got my normal one as a long distance tourer another one for commuting to work once its finished. And this will be for fun blasts.

Insurance is cheap so it's finding something that is great on brakes and speed. Yet modern enough for parts.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:46 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Survival bike? Really? Is that a thing now?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:24 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Survival bike? Really? Is that a thing now?

It's been a thing since the at least the mid 90's, when I really got into bikes and got a license.

However, this lad is going the wrong way about it. It's usually done because you get offered a bike at a price you can't refuse. Owner has slid it up the road, fairings are fucked, needs lights etc, too expensive to put back to stock. So you "highlight" it's lack of fairing etc, some stick random bits of mesh etc on it, paint it deliberately vile colours. You don't take a half-decent bike, especially a fucking Hayabusa, and fuck it up.

Think of it as a "designed" Rat. Rat's look like they do, because foremost they need to work, everything else is unimportant or secondary. Survival's try to look like Rat's, it's intentional, not accidental. Rat's evolve, Survival's are designed. I get it, I have a rat, I love them, but this is the wrong way to be going about it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:01 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rat bike, survival bike, streetfighter, all about the urban grind, modern rat bikes... call it what you will, they're all the same. Laughing

You're wanting a crash damaged bike that you can take the fairings off of, fit some flat bars, paint it matt black, fit an aftermarket cheapo headlight unit, etc etc etc so that you can then call it your own unique masterpiece. Wink

Surrey Motorcycle Salvage on eBay have lots of different crash damaged bikes on their eBay page. https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/Surrey-Motorcycle-Salvage?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Find somewhere like that which isn't a few hours away from where you live and wait until they've got something you like the look of. Thumbs Up

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhhhh right, I get it. Streetfighter not cool any more, invent a 'brand new' genre. So, for goth read emo, for cockwomble read hipster.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Ahhhhhhhh right, I get it. Streetfighter not cool any more, invent a 'brand new' genre. So, for goth read emo, for cockwomble read hipster.

Proper 'fighters have, and always will be, cool. But I'm biased.

Rat's are about function, they're (just about) legal, and get from A to B. Survivals are about form, just as chops are, but with a different aesthetic.

The only things I really can't stand are "cafe racers" which are anything but. I can't stand the posing twunt smear's, they're worse than the Hardly Rideable lot, at least they don't sneer if you don't like £5 espresso's and avocado fucking toast.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:17 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy this.

https://blog.motorcycle.com.vsassets.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/11611-yamaha-xtw250-ryoku-concept.jpg

All they gotta do is make it.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to go for a cbr900 I know this isn't the normal way of going about a street fighter however i don't really fancy taking a bike down the road. Can't risk that anyway with my health.

I'm not going to get a perfect bike all I'm going to do is get a ratty one and just customise it to my taste. All I was after from this thread was a good selection of decent bikes that are more modern than my rat more power. Better brakes with still the ease of repair and reliability.

Survival bikes have been around for a while I'm suprised that some on here don't realise that. Mainly influenced by mad max but they have a military look that can survive anything.

My 84 rat at the moment is decent and will do anything I need but I'm using it for work. So there is no more fun anymore doing the normal commute. I just don't fancy taking it out when the weather is nice.

I'm sure we have all come across that before when you use a bike constantly for commuting you get rid of all the fun aspect.

Just understand why now this forum is dying.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Just understand why now this forum is dying.

No, evidently you don't.

*ALL* Forums are dying, forum subject is immaterial. I'd wager for bikes, it is *the* busiest forum. Forums are from the 00's - In internet terms, that's stoneage. Communication is now instant, and that's what people want.

Why wait for someone to reply a day later, groupthink on a facebook post gets you an answer (of sorts) largely immediately. People lacking patience is why Forums are dying, they're used to immediate gratification, and forums do not give that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2