BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Post-crash insurance/recovery advice?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jlo31
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to raise your old thread. Hope you got a decent offer in the end?

How did you find dealing with French emergency services hospitals etc. Did your EHIC cover it all or did you use travel insurance ot your breakdown insurance to repatriate you back home?

I'm just interested how it all worked out for you. Never fun having an accident but even worse abroad!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlo wrote:
Sorry to raise your old thread. Hope you got a decent offer in the end?

How did you find dealing with French emergency services hospitals etc. Did your EHIC cover it all or did you use travel insurance ot your breakdown insurance to repatriate you back home?

I'm just interested how it all worked out for you. Never fun having an accident but even worse abroad!

Just remember that whatever his experience was, it'll be entirely different from this November.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlo wrote:
Hope you got a decent offer in the end?

Yeah I did actually - after turning down the first two offers and providing current examples of advertised models of my bike I actually ended up receiving more than I originally paid for it (about 2 months earlier, from a dealer). Added to that, because I had the wreck recovered home, I was able to retrieve approx £1,000-worth of accessories which had come with the bike, before the loss adjuster looked at it; all those parts are now fitted to the replaxcement bike. So, result there really!

jlo wrote:

Well. I thought they were pretty shit actually, especially with hindsight. I got scraped off the road and blue-lighthed to le A&E which was OK. My poorly shoulder was then X-rayed, a broken collar bone diagnosed, and I was discharged with a sling and told to see a doctor at home. There was no attention at all paid to the fact that I'd been unconscious for about 5 minutes; they knew, but didn't even do the basic neurological tests (eg looking in my eyes; follow-my-finger test); whereas in the UK any head injury like that always gets an X-ray or CT. But the real pisser was getting to the UK fracture clinic a month later (at which time my shoulder was healing up and starting to work again) only to be told that I had a complex fracture which needed re-breaking and plating. That happened a few weeks later, at which point my recovery was right back to square one. The surgeons confirmed that it would have been barn-door obvious from my original X-ray that I needed surgery, and in the UK I'd have been kept in overnight and sorted out there and then Sad

EHIC worked fine - I got a bill about 4 months afterwards, for about £30 which my travel insurer (Post Office) covered, along with my repatriation costs etc (they flew me home). The bike got recovered and brought back by my recovery company (START).

Evil Hans wrote:
whatever his experience was, it'll be entirely different from this November

Given that I had travel insurance, I don't think my hospital experience would have been any different if I'd been from a non-EU country really, apart from having to profer my credit card. But who knows, maybe that would have made them less quick to boot me out, if they'd thought they could stiff my insurers for a hefty wedge?

Jlo31
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brilliant and informative update. Really pleased you had a good insurance pay out as well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2