Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Post-crash insurance/recovery advice?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Post-crash insurance/recovery advice? Reply with quote

So I was repatriated to the UK last night with a mashed collarbone after my BMW 1200RS and I ended up bouncing separately down the road in France at the weekend. Gutted (but actually pretty damned lucky too).

I now need to work out what to do with the bike, which is with the recovery company in France. Evidently my breakdown company or the bike insurers will both in principle recover the bike home to the UK, but only if it's repairable, otherwise it will be written off. I don't know which of the two companies it's in my best interests to be pushing towards this? But furthermore I don't actually know whether it's best for me personally for the bike to get fixed, or to have it written off and just get a cash payment, however much that might be. Apparently my bike insurers wouldn't even be inspecting the bike; all they want is my own description of the damage which they will "plug into a matrix" and use that to decide whether it's a total loss or not. "But I didn't even see the bike post-accident - I was either unconscious or immobilised on a spinal board!" "Whatever"

From what witnesses said I think the bike may have high-sided - I gather it's damaged on both sides so sounds expensive. There was some fork damage; but it had engine bars.

I bought the bike (3 years old) just 7 weeks previously from a non-BMW dealership at a good price, so hopefully its valuation really shouldn't be much less than the purchase price?

One issue for me to consider is that the previous owner fitted quite a lot of accessories which I didn't actually realise weren't OEM at the time I bought the bike and so are not itemised on the insurance policy; like the engine bars; fusebox, bar risers, various guards, daytime running lights. Stebel horn, etc. So none of those bits - all useful to me - would actually be covered in the event of total loss, so I'm thinking maybe if the breakdown folk got the bike back to my home I could just retrieve these items before the insurers valued the wreck, to fit on my next RS?

This is all completely new territory to me so any thoughts are most welcome. Primarily:
(a) am I better off having the breakdown company or my insurers deal with the damaged bike overseas in the first instance?
(b) is it in my interest for the bike to be written off or repaired?

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:30 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint diagram of crash etc Smile

Sounds like it'd be better to get the breakdown company to bring it back then consider the optons from there. I suspect you wont see it again.

On the plus side, if they do go on your description and scrap it you won't be held accountable for that undeclared aftermarket exhaust/fairing/ engine bars that caused your crash Razz

Gws Thumbs Up

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pay my fees ill hop on the ferry and go get it for ya.. im just outside el dovakia anyway.. and then get it recovered to your doorstep.

job jobbed

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:52 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2018/05/repatriating-bike-france/

Do you know exactly where the bike is? If you don't get in touch with the police.

How much French can you speak?

If it needs to be repaired in France insist that it's done via a franchised dealer & not an independent garage.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:20 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your recovery to bring your bike back to the UK and then figure out what to do with the insurance claim once you've got the bike back?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:

That's really useful, thanks. Bit worried/confused about the bit where he says "You do not have the option of scrapping the bike and leaving it in France... ... you will not be able to dispose of it without the ‘Carte Grise’, which is roughly the equivalent to our V5 logbook. I have tried to scrap written-off bikes in France on behalf of clients but you simply cannot do it. No French salvage agent will touch a bike without the carte grise." I don't understand where that leaves me if it does get written off (why doesn't that stuff just get left for my insurer to sort out?)
Loui5D wrote:
Do you know exactly where the bike is? If you don't get in touch with the police. How much French can you speak?

I do speak a very little bit, and know where the bike is - I spoke briefly with the 'dépannage' guy last night to confirm that.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they bring it back and then scrap it if it's a right off

Or will you have to repay the cost of bringing it back if it's scrap

Or will they only either scrap it there or bring it back?

I'd want it back, but only if they will evaluate again here and not take the cost of transporting it back off the payout.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, people.

tl;dr, my breakdown recovery company are now obtaining quotes for repatriating the bike to me, as per Ste. It seems that will happen providing the value of the trashed bike doesn't exceed the transportation cost (and I can't believe that will be the case even if it's written off). Only then will my insurer get involved (although they are already aware of the incident, obvs)

So far so good, then.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:42 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many accessories will have fallen off your bike by the time you get it back. Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I wonder how many accessories will have fallen off your bike by the time you get it back. Laughing

I dread to think. I simply can't tell you how badly they had been fitted

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing.

My bike insurance policy includes cover my helmet and bike clothing, and I have been advised I must obtain: "Confirmation from a reputable company that your motorcycle clothing can either be repaired and a quote for the repair or if it cannot be repaired confirmation of this together with an estimate for the replacement on a like for like basis"

My jacket and trousers are textile (total replacement cost about £250), and both have rips. I can't imagine that either would be half-way repairable, and it seems bizarre to me even to consider trying. Any ideas as to a 'reputable company' to provide the necessary quote or confirmation, ie for a cheap textile suit rather than expensive leathers?

Also, my boots and gloves - both two years old - suffered some scuffing to the toes and palms, which wasn't there before the smash but which I expect a lot of riders would have routinely experienced in everyday use and thought not much more about it. Do I include a claim for this stuff? I mean, they certainly look less pretty than before the incident and I expect (eg) their waterproofness will also be reduced.

This is all new to me... Crying or Very sad

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:12 - 18 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reputable company? Where would you go to buy new kit from? I think your insurance company just need something which ticks the boxes for the kit not being repairable.

So something on a piece of headed paper from a bricks and mortar shop saying that your textiles can't be repaired and an estimate for replacement like for like kit. They're going to want to get a sale out of this so they're not going to care what they write. Laughing

For your boots and gloves I'd take the same approach as with your textiles. Any good salesman will have a million different reasons for why someone should upgrade their kit that's a couple of years old and has slight crash damage.

The insurance company aren't going to care, they just need something vaguely official that says your kit isn't repairable.

(This is all new to me as well, I'm no expert in any of this so proceed with caution if following any of my advice which was provided for entertainment purposes only Razz )

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 18 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Reputable company? Where would you go to buy new kit from?

Thanks, yeah I assume they meant a repairing company rather than a retailer but maybe that would work...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:38 - 18 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if they're very interested in the finer details of why your kit isn't repairable or the credentials of the reputable company who've said your kit isn't repairable.

My definition of reputable company is one who'll say what you want them to say. Laughing If your insurer has a different definition then they'll tell you what companies they're wanting to look at your kit. Razz

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 18 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Another thing.

My bike insurance policy includes cover my helmet and bike clothing, and I have been advised I must obtain: "Confirmation from a reputable company that your motorcycle clothing can either be repaired and a quote for the repair or if it cannot be repaired confirmation of this together with an estimate for the replacement on a like for like basis"

On the grounds of health and safety, bike kit cannot and should not be repaired.

The insurance companies know this.

Kit is designed to protect in one crash and one crash only

If the kit was to be repaired and you subsequently sustained further injury, the insurers could be held liable.

You are entitled to have your kit replaced on a like for like basis on the grounds of safety and when you get the quote from your dealer (and you are entitled to use your regular supplier) just get them to include that the damaged items are beyond repair on the grounds of safety.

Chances are that your dealer already has a standard proforma estimate document that makes this clear anyway.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:31 - 18 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there we have it, with much better phrasing than my suggestion of finding a shop who'll say what you want them to say. Laughing

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Post-crash insurance/recovery advice? Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that and get well soon!

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

One issue for me to consider is that the previous owner fitted quite a lot of accessories which I didn't actually realise weren't OEM at the time I bought the bike and so are not itemised on the insurance policy; like the engine bars; fusebox, bar risers, various guards, daytime running lights. Stebel horn, etc. So none of those bits - all useful to me - would actually be covered in the event of total loss, so I'm thinking maybe if the breakdown folk got the bike back to my home I could just retrieve these items before the insurers valued the wreck, to fit on my next RS?

That is good idea only if your recovery covers bike repatriation obviously you don't want to pay for the recovery.

Whatever you do when asked by insurers don't mention any non-OEM parts fitted. Most likely you have not declared them in first place and you really don't want to give your insurer the point to invalidate your insurance!

The point is they will take your word for that, just make sure don't tell them when asked the question: Have you got any non-OEM bits fitted? No.

Because you have removed them yourself remember when the bike is recovered Laughing

For your boots and textile gear - my insurers asked for receipt and because the gear was slightly then 1 year old I have got nothing. Apparently they pay only for gear only if its less then 1 year old, you have receipt with new price and they do some depreciation based on how old gear is too. Basically I've got nothing for literally new boots and textiles Crying or Very sad

Your insurer may have different gear policy. Good luck Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

The bike Crying or Very sad has just been delivered to mine by the recovery company so I now need to tell my insurers so they can come and inspect it. Am still fretting a bit about the accessories issue though. I've removed the bar risers, which are the only item which the insurers could even conceivably (surely?) try to use as justification for prejudicing my claim ("lost control due to non-standard handlebars", maybe?

That leaves the following in place: OEM crash bars, radiator guard, crud catcher, Extenda fenda, daytime running lights, horn, fusebox, Mudsling shock protector, and 2 power sockets; total retail cost about £700. All these were in place when I bought the bike.

Seems to me this all depends on how likely it is the bike will be written off, which I think could go either way really. If it was a def write-off I would certainly spend the time removing all the bits now, especially as I'd def be replacing the bike with an identical model and they'd be useful to me. On the other hand of the bike is repaired it would really be a huge ballache to remove everything and have to refit it later, especially the electrical stuff.

Damage is mostly front end; a lot of broken stuff there; forks skew-wiff but can't tell whether bent or just need unbolting and refastening (all a bit of a mess up there). I'm guessing that may determine
the outcome. There's virtually nothing wrong on either side of the machine (even on the crash bars); the panniers took the brunt of it. The engine fires up fine. I have no memory of the actual impact but my guess is that the wheels went off the side of the tarmac on the corner and the front dug in hard, causing the bike and me to cartwheel. Kind of glad it didn't land on me.

So wut do? Do I take everything off now before calling the insurance or leave it be?

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My insurer's (principal) policy (as i have on numerous call recordings) is they only *need* to know about alterations that increase power or permanently modify the vehicle. Any undeclared bolt-ons are simply not covered. They won't cover my satnav or removable panniers but do cover my sw-motech rack. Your policy may be different.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

So wut do? Do I take everything off now before calling the insurance or leave it be?

+1 for taking all off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:45 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Update.

I have no memory of the actual impact but my guess is that the wheels went off the side of the tarmac on the corner and the front dug in hard, causing the bike and me to cartwheel. Kind of glad it didn't land on me.

I'm sure you know how lucky you've been to be only having to worry about this rather than having to deal with some horrible injuries. I'm mighty glad to see how well you escaped what could have been a real horror show.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update #2. So I followed BCF advice and removed everything in sight, and glad I did so, because the bike's just been written off today (turned out the frame was cracked as well as everything else). The RRP of all the extra bits (excluding luggage) was just under £1K, and as I'll definitely be after an identical bike next time that will be really useful.

I understand from the assessor that a derisory offer will be on its way to me. Other than sending the insurer a copy of my purchase invoice (2 months old) and lots of links to adverts for comparable machines to mine, does anyone have any top tips for getting them to up their offer?

I'd been wondering about buying back the wreck to flog on to a bike breaker (if that would have made me some cash), but the assessor says that as it's a Cat B write-off that's not allowed - is that correct?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:45 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That won't go back on the road, they should hopefully pay out as close to the purchase price as possible... obviously I'd just provide them with that and explain the minimal use would suggest it hasn't dropped in value and you believe thats a sensible price.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a call from the insurer today to officially tell me the bike is dedded, and to explain the next steps. As part of this the agent called DVLA in a three-way conversation to establish that that I did indeed have a license and that I'd declared any offences.

After I'd got through the security info etc, he asked the DVLA guy to confirm whether I had a 'full licence' and whether it was for 'automatic' or 'manual'(!), followed by the convictions stuff. Had to laugh though - at no stage did he actually ask what vehicles I was actually licensed to drive. As in, a "category A" motorcycle?! Rolling Eyes

(the rejected offer has just magically been increased from "derisorily low" to just "low"; am still hanging on!)

guitarcarfana...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offer should equal what you paid. 2 months since purchase shows the bikes market value. Just refuse all offers until they meet you at purchase price. Complain to insurer (presumably dealing with a claims company), threaten FOS etc.

Insurers also have a responsibility to settle claims quickly and pay the cash ASAP. The Insurance Act overhauled a lot of these.

Hold out - be strong! Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2