Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

This Forum is Dying?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:23 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: making actual changes to the forum.

t'aint gonna happen. Unless there is some legal imperative for Korn to do it, he's checked out. He's a married man with a career and whatever. He doesn't really want to keep this place going, but does because people like Ste would send him knobcat pics for the rest of his natural life if he allowed it to close down.

So, we either make it good, or we let it die.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
Then it's destined to become as delapidated and unused as the High Street has become. Enjoy it while you can.
But the lack of interest from K is clear wherever you look at the site. I suppose we all start stuff that we CBA to finish.
or maintain. I guess this is no different. Shame so many people grew to like the place. The lack of investment of either
time or money is very easy to spot when you look at any other relatively popular forum. I'm a laptop site user, I can't be
getting on with BCF on my phone. I can't see it without my glasses so the current format suits my method of use and
available technology. But it won't bring in new blood.

skatefreak wrote:
Maybe allow Stu image posting rights again to make the forum great again? Laughing

Stu for mod?

Last edited by grr666 on 11:01 - 16 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total

Daytona Loner
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:53 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Daytona Loner wrote:
The guy is clearly a prick with issues, who would'nt talk to someone in the real world like that , anyway I reckon it's keyboard warriors like him that put people off more than anything else

It's okay for you to piss on someone else's bonfire by telling them to get Yaris but it's not okay for someone else to point out how it's a bit late for you to be asking questions which would normal be asked before buying a bike? Wink

fite?

The Yaris being useful in a zombie apocalypse comment was clearly a joke, unlike the uncalled for swipe at me. If you want to treat this as your own territory and pick on new members, don't complain about the forum dying.

Anyway are you really suggesting I should'nt be asking questions about my new bike on a motorcycle forum? You seem like keyboard warrior mate.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:02 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytona Loner wrote:

Anyway are you really suggesting I should'nt be asking questions about my new bike on a motorcycle forum? You seem like keyboard warrior mate.

You're not helping yourself right now. Just sayin'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytona Loner wrote:
As a someone who joined this forum just two days ago, here's my perspective.

I started a thread, and explained I just bought a Triumph tt600 after 10 years away from biking, and asked politely for any opinions and experiences that anyone had.

A couple of members responded, but then sure enough a so called World chat world champion replied.

''Would've thought the OP would have done his research on the bike before lining one up, but hey-ho''

Nice thing to say to someone who just joined up. The guy is clearly a prick with issues, who would'nt talk to someone in the real world like that , anyway I reckon it's keyboard warriors like him that put people off more than anything else

If everyone just used Google etc to get answers then what's the point of a forum?

It's this immediate pouncing on a new member that stops them coming back.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:13 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browsing BCF is much better with signatures disabled.

Even more so when using a phone.

The multi coloured walls of text filled mostly with pointless information like when you passed your CBT, your full test, lists of what bikes you've ever owned, etc etc etc are unnecessary crap that overshadows the posted content in many threads.

Give it a go, you'll be surprised just how much tider and easier to browse it makes the forum.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:05 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytona Loner wrote:
The Yaris being useful in a zombie apocalypse comment was clearly a joke, unlike the uncalled for swipe at me. If you want to treat this as your own territory and pick on new members, don't complain about the forum dying.

Been here 1 second Laughing , gonna have to prep Flounce One-Niner for take off again.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that unless we get a phone app or phone friendly system it will slowly die. I know younger people who don't ever use a computer now, everything is done on phone or tablet.

I, being an old fart have a laptop and prefer to use that but last night I was out on my boat with only a phone signal. When I tried to read BCF it was all zoom in, zoom out turn the phone round and then try and read micro letters. It doesn't work on a phone.

Newbies can be picked on a bit heavily but usually it's because of what they have asked. Something what seems stupid to 'us' may not be to them, so maybe think twice before jumping down their throats. Stuff like bodyguards 'put a durex over your head you slag' shouldn't be tolerated at all though, deleted and banned.

As far as the current affairs page, it's become inundated with crap from two posters slagging each other off which I find a total pain especially when it spills into other areas. What's the answer? warnings, short term bans? I don't know. I don't even know what is possible with this site it's so archaic.

Maybe if Korn doesn't want to run it anymore someone else should take it over. I'd be willing to pay a bit towards it's upkeep. I'd be willing to help run it but I really don't have a clue about this sort of thing, it needs someone with the expertise to make it good.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:16 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
gonna have to prep Flounce One-Niner for take off again.

You fucking piece of keyboard warrior.

Mr. Green

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Re: making actual changes to the forum.

t'aint gonna happen. Unless there is some legal imperative for Korn to do it, he's checked out. He's a married man with a career and whatever. He doesn't really want to keep this place going,

it is possible to fully transfer a bboard over to someone else

that said, Web 2.0 killed most bboards off a while ago. One I used to frequent a lot is now on life support, and is all but dead.

I'm surprised that this one is still going, and glad that it is still going, it'll probably wobble on a while longer yet. Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Daytona Loner wrote:
The guy is clearly a prick with issues, who would'nt talk to someone in the real world like that , anyway I reckon it's keyboard warriors like him that put people off more than anything else

It's okay for you to piss on someone else's bonfire by telling them to get Yaris but it's not okay for someone else to point out how it's a bit late for you to be asking questions which would normal be asked before buying a bike? Wink

fite?

I honestly thought that was a totally innocent comment, hence the "hey-ho", which I meant to suggest it wasn't that important. Sincere apologies if I upset you. I do hope you enjoy your bike - no fite here. Welcome to BCF! Smile

For me, BCF and the Fazer forum I'm also a member of are not so important lately because I'm skint and can't get out on my bike much Sad , hence I don't have much of relevance to these sites to say.

I really couldn't afford to attend BBQ this year, no, not even 75p saved per week! But I appreciate all the effort the Suntans have gone to and have enjoyed all the ones I did attend. That is more what it's about for me - meeting you lot (perceived clashes on the forum often turn out to be shown for what they are - misunderstandings and misinterpretations of character), and having a bit of a laugh. Life is for living, not talking about!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:31 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

it is possible to fully transfer a bboard over to someone else

Yes, but do you trust anyone enough to deal with the regular legal challenges that come up here? Would a person that met this particular criterion also be someone you wanted to run the board? Would they WANT to have that hassle?

In my opinion there is nobody that fits in the overlapping part of that particular venn diagram!

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr lambert has been pretty absent on the forum for quite a while now, he lost interest a long time ago and has other shit to do..

he can hand ownership to me and ill make it great again STE FOR MOD

imho bcf started to die during karmageddon.. i miss my old account Sad

since that day we had new accounts and didnt give a shit, then people got bored because it became too mumsnet at times and the utter spastics (dont you dare point at me) where allowed to run amok without any real consequences, then i guess over time people got bored of posting their bikes because it just became "hALP ME wIth My BiEk" or mundane threads that could be solved with google.

i used to come here multiple times a day and check out new threads for win... now i just come here every few days sometimes once a week (more frequent if ive posted and want to see replies) all i do is check threads head to show and tell, found on the net and then go about my day.

the forum needs new life and someone whos actually going to listen to what is wanted rather than implementing playground rules and letting it stagnate.

lets be honest... bcf has been dying for the past 5 years, i would be surprised if korn doesnt close it down by mid to end 2019.

would be nice to see full analytics data from the past few years.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:34 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legal challenges that come up here? Let's register the site to Paddy's cat.

Mr. Green

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

good ol' stu

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The legal challenges that come up here? Let's register the site to Paddy's cat.

Mr. Green

Have you asked Paddy's cat if he wants the responsibility?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forums are just dying in general and have been since Facebook groups really. Facebook is dying in general, too, and the cool kids will have moved onto something else by now for sure.

I don't think there's anyone I've met from this forum (admittedly not very many) that actually still posts on here. One of the members that used to post a bit now doesn't, but is still doing loads of stuff with the SE Crew - I know because we go on a jolly occasionally and we keep in contact. The other few disappeared off a while back and that's a shame - one posted loads of write ups and pics of trips away on bikes and the other was just a generally really funny guy with a wicked sarcastic sense of humour that came across well on the forum.

I said a while back my favourite thread on here is Where Have You Been On Your Bike Today? because it's actually about biking, and it hasn't turned into a semi-political squabble between the FITE Club currently going on here (which is pretty tedious and one of the reasons I couldn't be bothered to log back in for 4-5 months earlier in the year). Half the problem that is, IMO, with try-hards trying hard to win the internet when actually nobody gives a flying fuck and it just gets in the way. The 'fun' went out of the political threads a while back and now it's just a bitch fest. Shame, because it was quite good reading the balanced arguments which went on before.

As for the BBQ - events like that get tougher the more the forum goes on. I'd been going to car club weekends away for over a decade and saw them go from 50+ cars strong down to struggling to fill a stand of 10 vehicles. We used to completely sell out an entire trackday allocation within the first 2 days of the post being up with payment details, now they're advertising it out to other car clubs to join in or make a huge loss/ask members to cough up more money. I wouldn't take it personally, Suntan.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook and Discord are the two main places these days.
Internet forums are a dying format, they have been for a few years now.

We need a discord.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
one posted loads of write ups and pics of trips away on bikes

This I have missed this year, especially in the touring section. Either nobody has gone anywhere, or they just can't be bothered with posting about it. A shame, as I for one find good tour reports interesting.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

We need a discord.

That's the first time I've even heard about Discord Embarassed

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Pjay wrote:

We need a discord.

I had to as my nephew what fortnite was yesterday

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

We need a discord.

Lol am old. WTF is Discord? Is that like a myspace?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

It's been around for years and was primarily aimed at gaming communities, but it's being adopted by pretty much all communities these days.
There are over 100 million users there and growing daily.
It's the in place to be.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:24 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man, I am in Discord for many things. Specifically NSFW.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

It's the in place to be.

Why does that phrase instantly put me off?

Signed, Old Fart Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24