Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

This Forum is Dying?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make BCF great again, Ste for mod!

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the last few years I have gone from having nobody on my enemies list to using it more frequently. This place used to be interesting and helpful with good natured leg pulling and piss taking, now there are some members who are just crude and offensive for no reason at all.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:09 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discord is too chat-oriented to replace a forum properly.
That said, forums have gone the way of newsgroups, and BBS boards before them.

I would be willing to go into partnership with someone or a few people to put together a newer-styled forum, but I don't know if it'll make a serious difference to the overall community decline. There does need to be active admin engagement, in order to at least back up the mods, but also to show that the site isn't just abandon ware at this stage. Nothing against korn, but it doesn't really inspire confidence when the admin has been absent for years.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Discord is too chat-oriented to replace a forum properly.

It's just a sign of the times, IRC is dying too.
Kids these days want instant input/feedback, forums just cant compete with the likes of facebook and discord on this.
Everything is throwaway too, nobody searches for an answer to their problems, they just ask in a group and it is answered within moments.
Us older users of the internets used to use google and search a forums content, there is no need for the youngster to bother, one quick message and they are flooded with content.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been dying for a while I mentioned it to several people at bubbs the last time I was there. People want instant replies but a simple notification system on here for if someone replies or quotes you; would instantly improve this place.

For me there have been too many point scorers, the fun aspect has gone and licence problems. I've gone from a regular poster to just a lurker due to the constant stupid replies you get.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:39 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiler raises a good point - of the few fora that I still use, the successful ones have got notification systems that work. Something that tracks your active threads/ratings received, that sort of thing. PhpBB is older than most discord users, and it shows Laughing

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
It's been dying for a while I mentioned it to several people at bubbs the last time I was there. People want instant replies but a simple notification system on here for if someone replies or quotes you; would instantly improve this place.

I take it you missed the bit in your user profile, which has been there for years.....

Always notify me of replies:
Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post.

Does that mean I score a point Shocked Laughing Rolling Eyes

If the search function worked, you would not get a lot a new posters as they would just search out the answer.
So the "Which tyre is best" etc type of threads would die and the forum would go down even faster.

Paying to use a forum, that users admit is dieing.... Smacks of a last desperate death throw....
Like many people It would stop me from checking what has been posted.

I wonder if people realise just how much work running this forum is?
It's just ticking over at the moment, start to run it with a decent level of moderation. Is going to take up one hell of a lot of time.
Who fancies having to read every thread, every day and make a judgement call on if it's OK or not.
As a few will know, who have done it. It's a totally thankless job that gets you nothing but grief.

Start a spin off. I bet a few have already tried and failed.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Browsing BCF is much better with signatures disabled.

Even more so when using a phone.

The multi coloured walls of text filled mostly with pointless information like when you passed your CBT, your full test, lists of what bikes you've ever owned, etc etc etc are unnecessary crap that overshadows the posted content in many threads.

Give it a go, you'll be surprised just how much tider and easier to browse it makes the forum.

Seems legit. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:55 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post.

I meant a small flag on the index page, not an email. I don't want bcf spamming the everloving fuck out of an email account, I just want to know what's changed since my last login.

A working search function sounds like dark sorcery, at this stage. Laughing

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually check in most days, I don't really think it's dying. I like the politics threads where people try and have a sensible discussion but it's inter spaced by two or three members flaming each other, which is quite amusing.

I've lost a little bit of interest since a certain thread fell down the memory hole, that was really entertaining
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Discord was Minor Threat's record label.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also yeah - the search function. How can this not work? Does Korn or someone have to pay phpBB extra for such a feature? If not, what the actual heck is going on. These forums have a lot of mindless crap on them (I know because I post a lot of it) - but there's also a shit load of extremely useful bike-related content that's rendered inaccessible and irretrievable due to a search function that neither searches nor functions. Which is kind of the antithesis of the internet's primary purpose, iytai.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
iooi wrote:

I meant a small flag on the index page, not an email. I don't want bcf spamming the everloving fuck out of an email account, I just want to know what's changed since my last login.

It already does highlight threads that've changed since your last visit (as long as you're logged on).

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:25 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:

It already does highlight threads that've changed since your last visit (as long as you're logged on).

Yes, but not specifically threads that I have posted in. I'm not interested in a lot of the threads that have been updated, but it would be nice to have a specific alert that threads that I am interested in following have seen updates.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:30 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Yes, but not specifically threads that I have posted in.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/search.php?search_id=egosearch
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:50 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleeping

Imagine if there was a feature that allowed you to block another user so that you never have to read any of their posts again!!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytona Loner wrote:
As a someone who joined this forum just two days ago, here's my perspective.

I started a thread, and explained I just bought a Triumph tt600 after 10 years away from biking, and asked politely for any opinions and experiences that anyone had.

A couple of members responded, but then sure enough a so called World chat world champion replied.

''Would've thought the OP would have done his research on the bike before lining one up, but hey-ho''

Nice thing to say to someone who just joined up. The guy is clearly a prick with issues, who would'nt talk to someone in the real world like that , anyway I reckon it's keyboard warriors like him that put people off more than anything else

Just FYI, the guy isnae a prick. He's a very good cunt, really. Thumbs Up

You maybe took the comment the wrong way.

BOT
Ste should inject a heavy wadge of cash into the forum to make it great again and help secure/justify his Mod position.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: This Forum is Dying? Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Mind numbingly endless wibble.........

I see, you've awoken from your slumber, and displaying such a prime example of what puts sane rational people off from joining, or staying, on the forum.. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

Well the emails are only for the threads you post in. So its hardly spamming the fuck out if it.

It also give you the option when you post a reply.

I have seen what you want on another forum i use, but it only shows the last 10 active posts. So it very easy to still miss them.

For everything else, there is your memory Very Happy

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

this forum started going downhill in October 2005

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
this forum started going downhill in October 2005

The 6th to be precise wasn't it Laughing

I accelerated it a year later Cool

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:48 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a hell of a lot more active than the Scooby forum im active on.

On there are a load of helpful people too though

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum was so funny when i first joined in 2005, some are still here from then.

I only found out about this forum as i ordered a Yamaha R6 service manual on cd from korn off ebay and he emailed me inviting me to join and ive been here ever since

I dont post as much as i used to but still read here almost everyday.

This place has got more quiet in the past 10yrs

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
This forum was so funny when i first joined in 2005, some are still here from then.

I only found out about this forum as i ordered a Yamaha R6 service manual on cd from korn off ebay and he emailed me inviting me to join and ive been here ever since

I dont post as much as i used to but still read here almost everyday.

This place has got more quiet in the past 10yrs

Then start posting again you ding bat.

Can't you see the correlation between you stopping posting and the forum getting quieter Rolling Eyes

Wink

I suspect it goes in fits and starts but every so often you lose a prolific poster (whether good or bad) for whatever reason and something changes.

Ones I can remember, we have lost Katy (Kickstart), Bendy, Hetzer, (pretty well), Pinky, Mattspratt and maybe Roger and cansa. There's loads more i expect. People come and go. Some actually grow up Shocked

Last edited by Polarbear on 18:42 - 16 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 3 of 24