Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

This Forum is Dying?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: This Forum is Dying? Reply with quote

Wasn't sure where to put this, thought about "Forum Feedback" but let's face it, it wouldn't get read there, so it's here.

I've been a member here for 10 years and for the most part it's been an enjoyable experience. Recently though there's been a noticeable decline in the enjoyment factor. It's not a patch on what it was even 5 years ago, it's become a humourless place full of ungrateful, angry, little, keyboard warriors, constantly bitching and point scoring.
Oh, and for some reason we, currently, seem to be tolerating and encouraging an, overtly, racist troll!

I'm reliably informed that there are now forum members who post exclusively in the Facefook group, there's at least one of them that didn't even know the BBQ had been cancelled, Rolling Eyes . IMO, Facefook will kill this forum stone dead!
Mid evening, tonight, there were 3 registered members logged in, FFS!

While I'm on the subject of the, cancelled, BBQ, I know that a few of the people who said they'd be attending had genuine reasons why they couldn't make it. However there were others who made the excuse that they couldn't afford it, what, you couldn't save 75p a week, FRO?
Putting your name down then never bothering to do anything about it and leaving it until the last month to decide you're not coming is not on!
You all knew where and when it was taking place, on the Saturday night of last years' BBQ!
These things have to be organised, they don't just happen by magic, thanks to the intransigence of certain members, TSK and myself have wasted loads of time and missed out on a 3 week holiday!

IMO, this forum is going downhill rapidly, if the Facefook thing continues this forum won't last the next 18 months, get off Facefook and use the forum, "use it or lose it", as the saying goes!

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:22 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad it's not just me that's noticed. Being a sad bastard I use this site daily and have done since I joined Laughing

It's unusual in that most of the regulars seem to have vanished almost overnight. Im sure it's some 'in' joke or whatever. I thought half the forum didn't use that site you mentioned..I know I don't.
I did wonder if someone had se up another forum Thinking

The BBQ reminded me of being a teenger and organising a holiday in the pub - suffice to say no one turned/payed up.

Dd you see the 2 gt's on ebay btw?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
I'm glad it's not just me that's noticed. Being a sad bastard I use this site daily and have done since I joined Laughing

It's unusual in that most of the regulars seem to have vanished almost overnight. Im sure it's some 'in' joke or whatever. I thought half the forum didn't use that site you mentioned..I know I don't.
I did wonder if someone had se up another forum Thinking

The BBQ reminded me of being a teenger and organising a holiday in the pub - suffice to say no one turned/payed up.

Dd you see the 2 gt's on ebay btw?

No, didn't see 'em, haven't been looking, do you have a link?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re right this place has become a bit stagnant.
I miss the very silly sense of humour there use’d to be on here.

I do not even have a failbook account, so not guilty on that count.

I think the trolls discourage genuine chat on here .

Me? I’m a saddo and like it here Thumbs Up

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:51 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sold! bugger Laughing same guy had both of them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-GT80MX-1973-DT80-MX-YZ-80-Monkey-bike-kids-motorbike-/163186882715?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much I can add to that Sid.

BCF stands apart from other bike forums due to freedom and its idiosyncrasies <<<spellchecked.was going to type weirdness.
It has proper intelligent clientele, creative and skilled people who tirelessly give information and advice (sometimes whether you need it or not).

I just do nob gags but there is humour abound and BCF has empathy too. Casting my mind back to members who have fixed bikes, gave lifts, loaned bikes, donated money to ill members, loaned tools, picked up stranded bikers (probably for sex but it's the thought that counts) etc and I've most definitely missed out 1001 other ways that this forum helps.

Come back to BCF you facebookers. Your data is safe with us. Shifty

...and for those who haven't joined don't be shy...yes you may have the micky taken out of you, like when I first posted, but that just means we like you. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:27 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fora are so noughties. People want instant communication these days, not check back for a reply hours/days later.
I think that has a lot to do with it. Plus this forum is a dated computer program, maybe if the powers that be spent
some advertising dough on making the forum a little more modern like some other popular forums it may improve the
user experience. Search is unfit for purpose, the site is glitchy and not especially well set out, the regional forums are
mostly a waste of server space and so sparsely used they are just pointless. There's lots of room for improvement.

Maybe a tiered paid membership is the answer, a forum I used to use (Which I no longer do because speaking ones
mind was fine so long as you toed the party line, say one word that was even slightly controversial and your posts
were removed or altered.
) favoured a non compulsory subscription setup. For some time I was quite happy to support
that site until the censorship and white knighting begun. So I let my membership lapse and after a fairly long final post
highlighting their hypocrisy and naming a few names I left and haven't been back since. Regrettable as I made some good
pals on there including the guy for whom I am being best man at his wedding next March, but principles etc.

Bad experience aside, I still used to gladly pay to use that site. £12 a year. But for that money I was able to use the sites
marketplace (non payers weren't) and some features and abilities were afforded to members who put their hand
in their pocket. But, because of this, the site was well maintained with new forum software periodically, competitions
and prizes, a forum for the site sponsors to advertise their goods and services and slick modern software. Not bad,
even if it was run by SJWs. This place is dying for some investment of time and money but the big cheese here seems
far too busy being elusive than involved with the site he set up. Perhaps we should be petioning this Korn bloke
for some kind of show of interest, but from my seat it seems he'd sooner rake in the advertising profits than keep
this place interesting, modern and relevant. I don't think in my time here I've seen a single post and I'm on here a fair bit.

As for the left/right bickering thing. Myself included, there are nobs on both sides of that fence, I don't think singling anybody
out is at all fair. In the interest of balance and preserving the final remaining bastion of online free speech, it's a case
of taking the rough with the smooth. As soon as you start gagging ANYBODY then frankly this place is pointless.
We can have watered down conversations in any number of limp, non committed fora. What makes here special is it's
NOT LIKE THOSE PLACES. The day this place becomes heavily moderated will be the day it dies a quick, meaningless death.
But I certainly do think it needs investment, both of time and money. I won't hold my breath though.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:50 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see "Show and Tell" working anywhere other than on an, old fashioned, forum, it would simply be too disjointed on Facefook!

If people can't afford 75p a week for an all inclusive weekend bash, I doubt see them stumping up £'s to talk shite on here!

Personally I don't want more ads, I'd like less, zero if it was possible.
I've got no problem with the forum interface, I just wish the search worked properly.

My reference to a racist troll has nothing to do with "Politics and Current Affairs", but has everything to do with a recently joined member who likes to parade his ignorance forum wide!

My gripe about "Politics and Current Affairs" is the pathetic, playground level, name calling that goes on, some people need to grow the fook up!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:40 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Personally I don't want more ads, I'd like less, zero if it was possible.
I've got no problem with the forum interface, I just wish the search worked properly.

Ah yes, that's right. paid members didn't have to look at ads either as I recall. There was a specific, lively forum
for site sponsors but if you didn't want to see any of it then you simply didn't use that forum. It was worthwhile
though as the site sponsors did member discounts for paid members on goods and services, everything from remaps
to airport parking. Also many group buys were conducted here and it made good commercial sense for all involved.
I honestly think that this place was someones baby once, but it's pretty clear they have lost interest over the years.
There's a lot of posting on here that I take issue with, but life's too short to get that het up about most of it.
I just have to accept that some people don't see things the way I do, that's why I don't give neg Karma to anybody
but spammers, not even the "disagree" rating. I would run out of ratings before I ran out of stuff I disagree with,
But if I can have my tuppence here, and have done on a few occasions then the next person should be able to have theirs
too even if I think it's garbage. It's only fair, even if what they say sickens me, they should still be able to say it.
Once we start down that censorship road, then there'll be a clock ticking towards the real, final death of BCF. I don't
think the membership will suffer much censorship or moderation, we have it everywhere else in our lives. Can't say this,
can't do that, cant offend them, bring moar of that here and it will torpedo BCF just like the same attitudes have
torpedoed common sense these days.

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:14 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All forums are dying. People just tend to not use them anymore.

Things changed here a couple of years ago and people started dropping off.

The organising thing is a pain in the arse. It’s hiw it happens, organise anything and half of those definitely coming won’t show up.

BBQ, rideout, trip to Europe etc, always look add say they’ll be there and then get let down.

A group with 20,000 members. 2000 said they were going, 500 turned up.
It makes you not want to bother.
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:59 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time I was in the top 10 regular posters or something like that, I still come back to read pretty much daily, old habits are hard to break, but reckon I post about a tenth as much, if that.

There was a real cliquish element for a while that I think ruined it for a lot of people, it seemed to fall below critical mass in terms of users at that point. It was then that I stopped posting so much at least.

Unfortunately moderation is required to an extent, and for a while there was very little. Stinkwheel has done a pretty admirable job IMO but perhaps too little too late to save the place?

I think also new licensing laws have really killed off young riders and a constant drip feed of new blood is needed for this sort of place too.

Oh, also since my bike got stolen I'm far less engaged in road bikes in general. I won't have one for the foreseeable future either, as much as I'd like to. I don't buy bike magazines any more, don't really keep up with new bikes from manufacturers. Bike theft killed it all for me.

Perfect storm maybe.

Sad times...

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I does seem to be slowly turning into a resource forum rather than what it was when even I joined six years ago.
Personally, I'm not bothered about instant replies, I cancelled my faceaché account many moons ago.
There are still a lot of interesting, intelligent and very helpful characters on here to keep me coming back each day but that's probably due to me turning into a boring old fart who'll read and enjoy any old shite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:28 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid point about the decrease in new riders, having said that, new car licences have also dropped by about 50% in the last 10 years or so, so it's possibly tied in with more of a societal trend in that sense. But yeah, the hoops that have to be jumped through for new bikers and the overall cost is very discouraging for new those new to biking..

Coupled with, generally, an improvement in public transport, more working from home, the rise in cycling, and electric push bikes, again, all add to the downward pressure of new riders coming on stream..

I also agree, that, certain individuals, have promoted racism to such an extent, that it's putting new people off from joining, or discouraging existing forum members from interacting with the forum. Again, these sort of posts will invariably discourage the younger members of society to join in, quite simply because, they are far less racist & prejudiced than the older generations.

I don't think the rise of social media has had an overtly negative effect on the forum, and, again, depending on age, which social media platform would you use as a replacement, for example, my daughter, and none of her friends use facebook, to them, facebook is so passe.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:36 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody needs to make this place great again.

All the batching, whining, name calling, bawwwwwing and general pettiness in Current Affairs can easily be fixed. All people have to do is stop replying.

Updating the antique version of BCF with something more 2018 with many flashy features won't fix the forum. Things which would benefit from updating include the how to get a licence thread in the new bikers forum as that thread is about 33bhp licenses.

As soon as you charge people or accept donation towards running the site then expectations change so I think that would be a dangerous path to go down.

I think the BBQ is a totally separate issue and I'd say that it went wrong this year due to the expense of hiring a motocross track when nobody was bringing any motocross bikes.

Make BCF great again!!!

Last edited by Ste on 09:13 - 16 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went quiet when I stopped riding as much, I let my bike get in too bad condition. During that time I did more reading than replying on this forum. Still read it and pop on a few times a day!

BBQ - We all do appreciate the Suntans for the quest of trying to find and book venues year on year. I was in no position to come this year but I too, get frustrated when people say, yeah I'm all over this, who then go quiet when it comes time to pay up.
Back to basics next year - camping, fires, food, music and with me expecting Chickenstrip to just know all the best roads in the area and follow him around for an afternoons activity - or have him wait at a crossroads while I catch up Smile

I think some of the politics & CA spills over, with some trying to point score from threads of old. Let's talk bikes again.

Do you even nod, bro?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:54 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

I think also new licensing laws have really killed off young riders .

Oh, also since my bike got stolen I'm far less engaged . Bike theft killed it all for me.
Sad times...

Both of these I could relate to. Two reasons in this day and age for not getting into bikes, and thus less reason to visit the once mighty BCF.

Facecrap doesn’t help.

There are a few longer serving members on here who have an opinion that only their point of view is the right one.
They can be quite intolerant of of others who see things in a different light and that is not helpful.
No I am not going to name names, I have more important things in my life than arguing on-line.
Imagine coming here as one of the few new riders in this country these days, only to be told instantly your bike is shit and you need to get a bigger/better bike immediately . It seems to happen a lot.
I know if I had just got my first bike and came on here , I would not be impressed by the negative way some members have engaged with new bikers.
I’ll bet my last dollar there are a good few newbies who come and stayed only once or twice.

Mind you, I still blame Facecrap for the reduced attendance.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:13 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's improved a lot in all honesty. Sure we have to put up with Bodytard or whatever his name is now, but just think of the epic levels of trolls who no longer frequent the place.

IMO the BBQ was a bit of a fluke over the last few years if only because most people would want to decide whether or not to go at the last minute. To make that decision so early and commit to something isn't always possible, and I for one always intended to go but not knowing my circumstances ahead of time could not commit. This year I seem to recall it was more money and had a requirement for an earlier commitment than previous years. I get that's down to facilities and what have you, but things change, circumstances change and people can't always commit to sitting in a field for 48 hrs.

A lot of people moved to Whatsapp, but then it turned into a Brexit nutter echo chamber so I've no idea if it's still going or not.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Not much I can add to that Sid.

BCF stands apart from other bike forums due to freedom and its idiosyncrasies <<<spellchecked.was going to type weirdness.
It has proper intelligent clientele, creative and skilled people who tirelessly give information and advice (sometimes whether you need it or not).

I just do nob gags but there is humour abound and BCF has empathy too. Casting my mind back to members who have fixed bikes, gave lifts, loaned bikes, donated money to ill members, loaned tools, picked up stranded bikers (probably for sex but it's the thought that counts) etc and I've most definitely missed out 1001 other ways that this forum helps.

Come back to BCF you facebookers. Your data is safe with us. Shifty

...and for those who haven't joined don't be shy...yes you may have the micky taken out of you, like when I first posted, but that just means we like you. Smile

They don't get the mickey taken they get hounded off the site.

The number of new faces on here has declined dramatically since the cliqueyness of Cansa et al crept in.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:50 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick note, I suggested an optional charge. As I said above, a tiered membership. People who do pay
naturally take a greater ownership of usage of the resource. For that, a few posting privileges like deleting posts,
a BCF sticker or two plus a members only forum where topics can be discussed by the regulars out of view of
the untermensch. Laughing It will only be populated by people who care enough about this place to pay what might
be a pound a month. Discounts for 2 year and 5 year memberships respectively.

And maybe if Korn got off his arse and contacted a few places like Sportsbikeshop for instance seeking some
sponsorship or deals for members. It means some time on the phone, a visit or two maybe but these places are
usually very keen to sell their shit and are familiar with the idea about affiliation with an online community and the
possible marketplace that brings I used to make my subscription back and then some every single year using the
discounts and sponsors page. On discounted airport parking alone actually. I very much get the impression he
doesn't give a fuck about BCF, just the money the advertising nets him. I mean this thread is about the death of
his baby, and where is he?

Of course it wasn't perfect There were the odd one or two who would demand their money back pre flounce and there
was a refund mechanism which could only be evoked by the #1 big cheese so any gripes bad enough to leave for
wouldn't escape his notice. When I went he contacted me directly asking why I felt I couldn't stay, I told him,
we agreed to differ and went our separate ways. I didn't ask for a refund btw. But as a system it worked pretty well.
That said, all the regulars pretty much were paid members.

I don't see how anybody who uses the enemying and karma system can complain this place is potentially hostile.
Enemy/Friend. Black/white. We've literally been given forum tools to be dicks to each other. By the way, modern
forum software can 'talk' to Facebook, there's no need at all to have the facebook using members as a separate entity
once the coffers have been pried open for some software that isn't donkeys years old.

Daytona Loner
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:52 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a someone who joined this forum just two days ago, here's my perspective.

I started a thread, and explained I just bought a Triumph tt600 after 10 years away from biking, and asked politely for any opinions and experiences that anyone had.

A couple of members responded, but then sure enough a so called World chat world champion replied.

''Would've thought the OP would have done his research on the bike before lining one up, but hey-ho''

Nice thing to say to someone who just joined up. The guy is clearly a prick with issues, who would'nt talk to someone in the real world like that , anyway I reckon it's keyboard warriors like him that put people off more than anything else

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:01 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytona Loner wrote:

A couple of members responded, but then sure enough a so called World chat world champion replied

These are just 'titles' automatically given based on post count, nothing more. You'll note most of the people invested
enough to even have an opinion about this topic have posted sufficiently to reach that title. Kind of proves my point about
the regulars feeling more invested with the forum than noobs. It's kind of like a pub, if you go regularly then you get to see
and sometimes get to know the familiar faces. Despite the rough around the edges nature of BCF, largely speaking we do
try to help each other and I've personally witnessed some really kind hearted actions from members helping out when
help is needed. I've seen some fantastic generosity here too. I'm first to admit that I get caught up in the ranting and
raving sometimes but I'm quite combative by nature and let things get to me sometimes, don't we all?

Last edited by grr666 on 10:13 - 16 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:05 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytona Loner wrote:
The guy is clearly a prick with issues, who would'nt talk to someone in the real world like that , anyway I reckon it's keyboard warriors like him that put people off more than anything else

It's okay for you to piss on someone else's bonfire by telling them to get Yaris but it's not okay for someone else to point out how it's a bit late for you to be asking questions which would normal be asked before buying a bike? Wink

fite?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not been here particularly long but I've had some really good advice and information from this forum. Also some epic levels of help (Marmalade came and picked up my crashed bike for me once all arranged on here).

I usually have a read every night when I get home from work and has seemed lately there is alot less to read. The ratio of shite/troll threads to interesting threads has become noticeably less favourable. Regional forums are pretty dead, you could post a video of yourself sodomising Rita Ora in the South West Forum and it'd be 12 months before anyone wanked over it.

Most active area seems to be politics and current affairs (rebrand as PCF?).

I'm with Grr666 that the place could do with a bit of a spruce up. Alot of people nowdays are using phones to access this kind of stuff and this forum looks like utter dogshit on my Android phone. If I was a young lad new to biking and saw this forum on my phone I wouldn't bother joining. Would I pay for the privilege of it being rebuilt though?...... probably not.

Don't think the BCF facebook groups are very active though, or at least the 2 I'm a member of are dead.

TLDR

- Someone sodomise Rita Ora and post it in SW forum

- Rebuild site to look less like a pile of shite on Android

-Rethink the subforums and keep stickies updated or delete them and let someone rewrite a modern version

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we want to tap into the younger audience then we need to consider upgrading the forum so it is more accessible and convenient because the bar has been set so high with the likes of facebook and reddit mobile apps. Desktop exclusive sites can be quite the chore on a small phone.

We could always tap into the likes of tapatalk if we upgraded the forum and this would bring a host of features like instant updates direct to your phone (do-able via email albeit clunky), simplified, clearer and easier to navigate/read interface and input, enhanced friend/following over multiple forums...

Whilst these features aren't deal breakers for many of us here, if we're looking to sustain the site then we need to keep up.

In regards to the politics, random banter, trolling, inside jokes and nobcats.. the content defines the forum and the tolerance/lack of PC enforcement brings out some uniqueness and is half the attraction for some. It wouldn't be the same without it...

As for first posts from genuinely interested new comers, there's been more civility than ever from what I've seen... Maybe allow Stu image posting rights again to make the forum great again? Laughing

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, although there is a FB BCF group, to my knowledge and experience it isn't used.

However many BCFers are FB users and connected as "friends", which is how we/they communicate. It's on an ad-hoc, not an organised, basis.

I'm as guilty as anyone of checking into FB as often as I do BCF and waaaaay more is shared there. There have been numerous BCF jollies that at one time would have had their own threads here but have bypassed the forum completely.

I'm wondering if the demise of free photobucket hosting is to blame.

I'll be much more likely to post on FB about our imminent trip to Manx GP because it's just so much easier to put up photo's there rather than here.

Last edited by Tracey Suntan-King on 10:26 - 16 Aug 2018; edited 3 times in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24