Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What do with a back wheel slippage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: What do with a back wheel slippage Reply with quote

Yeah, I meant the bad grammorz.

Anyway. On exiting a roundabout I started to roll on, the back end got a bit slippy and I think I held the throttle at a constant and it quickly sorted itself.

I was doing maybe 30 mph, standing the bike more upright and rolling throttle on.

My question is, what is one supposed to do, on feeling a slippery back wheel? Less, same or more throttle? Pray to Jeebus?

Tyres are BT023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bin the bt-023 Laughing

Ideally you want to gradually stop the slippage. You almost always don't want to snap the throttle shut as the sudden grip could stand the bike up violently enough to highside and flip you off.

When I'm in this situation I tend to hold the throttle constant, and slowly back off if needed. The rear comes back under control and that ends the drama.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my ZZR6 I gently give it a little more throttle, it's not spat me off doing this yet.

My Gixxer has a quick action throttle so I don't trust my panicked heat of the moment adjustments to be subtle enough. I just hold it constant and hope it rights itself (again not spat me off so far).

I suspect both of my above statements are more luck than anything else, unless on polished ice the bike has some traction and it probably refinds the rest regardless of whatever I'm doing to fuck it up more.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:39 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed that you haven't used the usual excuse of diesel when being slightly cack handed with the throttle. Razz

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that the BT023 won't last too long anyway so I'll change them later - I may even get Avons!! Very Happy

@Ste - It was wet ... Smile

I only ever had the ZZR6 step out on me once, and I described how it happened on here and people told me diesel was the likely reason for that one. I had a light front a hundred metres before an overtake and the back wheel slipped then.

I always thought to just hold a constant throttle when slipping and think I did it but in reality it happens so quick it's not always easy to think about actions before enacting them.
I imagine that if you give more throttle you'll spin up more, sliding more?

The throttle on this 1100 is much more sensitive than my 600, perhaps because I never adjusted the throttle cables, so the 11 doesn't need too much input at the grip to give some beans.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:34 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: What do with a back wheel slippage Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:

Anyway. On exiting a roundabout I started to roll on, the back end got a bit slippy and I think I held the throttle at a constant and it quickly sorted itself.

That sounds pretty good. Smile

In some cases, rolling off gently may also be worthwhile.

What is not a good idea is to snap off - that can lead to a very sudden recovery of grip while still sideways and thus a high side.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:41 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid white lines, manhole covers and giving it too much beans when coming out of a corner.

My rear went for a wonder in the wet this morning while going over a direction arrow on a roundabout. It's been so dry of late I have gotten used to not needing to bother being so observant of slippery things.

<cool story bro>

I used to get a bit sideways quite often in Parliament Square. You can't really see it on google maps but there used to be a line of manhole covers that went diagonally across the corner of the south west side. It was a race from the lights each morning for the motorcyclists to get round the corner using the small line of road where you could actually get traction. The manholes were worn completely flat by traffic, it was like hitting 2 foot squares of ice.

</cool story bro>

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid it in the first place by straight-lining roundabouts. This way you're not tracking around the outside in the path of a spill from a truck's capless tank or whatever. True, you'll have to make even better obs, and quite possibly spend more time on planning your approach. And you shouldn't necessarily take it too literally - i.e. not a truly straight line.

But look for the straightest one that's not going to see you creating a hazard for other vehicles, and also be shoulder-checking more than you otherwise might. If I sense someone's taken umbrage - even when there's been absolutely no need for them to brake nor even feel like braking (and/or changing position, whatever), a quick wave in their general direction smooths it out. I personally think all this is safer than following a spilly line.

The only time I don't so this is if it's insanely busy or if I'm leading others who don't, won't or can't follow my line (or an approximation of). In which case, I just have consummate lane discipline.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, the worst thing is to snap the throttle shut. If Rossi can drift his race bike I'm sure you can do the same on a big bad ZZR1100. Wink

From what I remember the back tyre on the ZZR11 is quite skinny compared to todays big bikes set up. Not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Anyway, I fitted Avon Storms to my gen 1 busa and they lasted well and I never had a problem with grip. I'm sure they would be fine on the ZZR.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This particular roundabout requires a left turn, with two lanes on approach that can go left. There was a car to my right, me on the inside lane. The road is cambered, falling away quite sharply towards the left. I can't really straight line that too much, generally there's plenty of cars about to make it a rare occurrence for it to be empty.

The rear tyre is a 180 - so wider than the 600s 160. It was only a couple of miles from home along 30 / 40 mph roads, perhaps my tyres were still a bit cold too?

I will try styling it out next time, bare tyre smoke init ... (I won't)

Also my "threat" of the Avons was tongue in cheek. My experience of the storms on the old bike make me happy to get a pair on the 11, I think they're called 3D-XM or something now?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A High-Side is when the rear tyre looses grip, suspension relaxes, the tyre slips side ways, when it finds grip, the torque compresses the rear suspension again.
If you are giving it the beans at the same time (which probably caused the slip) then the final part of the high-side is the sudden rebound of an over compressed rear and that bucks you off like in your first rodeo.

I wouldn't give it any more juice if I felt the slip. (That caused it.)
There has to be a lot of skill and experience to recover the bike then.

Backing off a bit will only help. Rolling off the throttle.

But banging it shut will cause another sort of issue.

The real thing to remember is that there are very few roundabouts on race tracks and private roads.
You are on a public road that the public have free access to.
That is stuff you can hit.

And the PoPo will defo give you a tug if they see you careening around a roundabout. Smile

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
The real thing to remember is that there are very few roundabouts on race tracks and private roads.
You are on a public road that the public have free access to.
That is stuff you can hit.

And the PoPo will defo give you a tug if they see you careening around a roundabout. Smile

I don't want to give the appearance I was being a knobber ... I'm commuting, not MotoGPing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:01 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
A High-Side is when the rear tyre looses grip, suspension relaxes, the tyre slips side ways, when it finds grip, the torque compresses the rear suspension again.
If you are giving it the beans at the same time (which probably caused the slip) then the final part of the high-side is the sudden rebound of an over compressed rear and that bucks you off like in your first rodeo.

Not how I understood it.

Place a glass on a desk and slide it with your finger along the desk.

The glass slides along fine, because there's no grip.

Now place another finger stationary infront of the glass - when the glass hits this ('gets grip'), it rotates around that contact point in the current direction of travel.

Okay, the suspension unloading I'm sure does have some affect in smaller ones; but as I understood it, the overwhelming part of a bigger one was a tall object suddenly regaining grip at it's base, where it can't smoothly continue in that direction with grip.

https://i.imgflip.com/ghmzx.gif

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:13 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:

Also my "threat" of the Avons was tongue in cheek. My experience of the storms on the old bike make me happy to get a pair on the 11, I think they're called 3D-XM or something now?

I have Avon Storm 3D XM tyres on my 11. Great grip wet or dry. 6500 miles
covered so far, 4.5mm remaining on the rear. I think these will probably
beat my all-time record of 9,550 miles from a pair of Metzeler Z8.

The 3D XM is now the older ST model from Avon, so prices are
very reasonable. The new model is the Spirit ST, but they
cost a fair bit more. The best price I could find was from
Sticky Stuff Tyres (Telford) on eBay.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
MCN wrote:

Not how I understood it.

Place a glass on a desk and slide it with your finger along the desk.

The glass slides along fine, because there's no grip.

Now place another finger stationary infront of the glass - when the glass hits this ('gets grip'), it rotates around that contact point in the current direction of travel.

Okay, the suspension unloading I'm sure does have some affect in smaller ones; but as I understood it, the overwhelming part of a bigger one was a tall object suddenly regaining grip at it's base, where it can't smoothly continue in that direction with grip.

https://i.imgflip.com/ghmzx.gif

It was a Superbike Pro who discussed this. Not my science. And not going to argue either. Smile

Bottom out a nitrogen charged spring loaded hydraulic cylinder and measure how much energy is stored in the compressed mass.

0:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCkhAq9rztQ&feature=related

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found BT023s didn't inspire much confidence in the dry, never mind the wet, so another vote for binning them. Lots of much better tyres out there nowadays, and it is the one thing to make riding enjoyable - having confidence in good tyres.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:39 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I found BT023s didn't inspire much confidence in the dry, never mind the wet, so another vote for binning them. Lots of much better tyres out there nowadays, and it is the one thing to make riding enjoyable - having confidence in good tyres.

Yeah and me, I went on to P4's and the difference was night an day to the 23's. For the extra £50 odd I paid for the pair I would not go back to the Bridgestones.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Bottom out a nitrogen charged spring loaded hydraulic cylinder and measure how much energy is stored in the compressed mass.

Ballpark figures might be 6kg/mm? so 60,000N/m and 150mm travel.

E = k * x^2 where K is the spring constant and X is the displacement

so ballpark 700 J

Kenetic energy of 200kg bike at 40 mph: 290,000 J

What causes the launch is the sudden regaining of gripwhich is like slamming into a kerb, and some of that KE is converted into a high energy rotation. Suspention may bottom in this process, but energy is small compared to KE of bike.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:58 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note that suspension of course has rebound damping - which is there to specifically slow the rate the spring releases energy.

If a spring could release all it's energy quickly, it would cause a good lot of other issues for the bike too in other situations.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotation my Donkey.

Look at the video 0:24 seconds.

The rider only leaves the saddle after the suspension reaches full extension again.

It is designed to maintain tyre contact with the road surface over a relatively smooth surface. The bumps it normally encounters on a track are small. (Different design and settings for road racing etc.)
The intended design is not to absorb the massive forces such as those of a slip and grip in a high speed cornering manoeuvre.
The suspension probable seldom bottoms out in normal cornering.
Only the front will work as hard as that.

The suspension only does what it is designed to do and maintain the bike at its ride height.

It doesn't have anything to do with the rebound dampening. If it was dampened so much it would be too slow for the normal bumps.

It gets overloaded in a high side.

Someone did the maths on the forces (moments) for us. Thanks.. Rolling Eyes

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Rotation my Donkey.

Look at the video 0:24 seconds.

The rider only leaves the saddle after the suspension reaches full extension again.

I'd say what you see there is simply the suspension unloading as the rider's body is flicked up and over, rather than being the cause of his departure. Could a high side happen on a hard-tail bike? I'd say yes.
Grip 'n' flick.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:58 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, 700J in the suspention maximum. That's enough to lift a 70kg rider 1 metre, but you have damping and the weight of the motorcycle in there as well so not all that energy is available.

Furthermore if the wheel is sliding then it's not fully loaded. The suspention compressing and transfering energy into the damper reduces that available to flip the bike.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
ok, 700J in the suspention maximum. That's enough to lift a 70kg rider 1 metre, but you have damping and the weight of the motorcycle in there as well so not all that energy is available.

Furthermore if the wheel is sliding then it's not fully loaded. The suspention compressing and transfering energy into the damper reduces that available to flip the bike.

You seem to have missed the mechanism involved.

The slip un-loads the suspension.
The grip loads the suspension.
The “leverage“ in the bike moving through vertical accelerates the rider in a vertical direction.
The rebound of the suspension + the arc of the bike “righting“ it's self un-horses the rider.
It is a combination of forces.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
talkToTheHat wrote:

The “leverage“ in the bike moving through vertical accelerates the rider in a vertical direction.
The rebound of the suspension + the arc of the bike “righting“ it's self un-horses the rider.

but you could high side on a hard tail

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
talkToTheHat wrote:

It's the loss of grip and the sudden regain of grip while under power with the front and rear wheels out of line. The amount of energy stored in a compressed suspension unit isn't going to do this and it's also heavily damped - it wouldn't all release at once.

If it were the suspension then imagine the effect of landing after a high speed jump at places like Cadwell.

Explained in simple terms here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highsider
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 243 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2