Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125s sound like hairdryers....or do they?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: 125s sound like hairdryers....or do they? Reply with quote

BTW I think I fixed my bike issues from the last couple of posts

one thing loads of people say about their 125s weather its a yzf or a cruiser or anything really that's masked to look larger than its cc is they look the dogs bollocks to the untrained eye until the key goes in the ignition and the buzzy engine sounds like a silenced lawnmower.

when I had this issue I couldn't find a post about it so I decided to make one

I built a set of straight pipes for my shadow 125. Number 1 reason why i did paralleled why I bought the shadow in the first place and that's to fool people that don't ride or don't know their bikes well into thinking its a full sized bike and hell, it works a treat.

I built a set of pipes for it, twin shotgun pipes running almost to the back of the fender, I did some experimenting for those who also want to take their 125 and piss off literally everyone within a mile radius of your house.

the longer and wider your pipes are the deeper it'll sound, which is what you want when trying to get away from the tinny sound of a 125. I welded up my own set and they look and sound pretty badass

this will annoy 90% of the readers because it seems there's a lot of stock exhaust having, high vis wearing ATGATT fellows that aren't fans of spotty kids straight piping their poxy 125s and ragging them around

at the end of the day a 125 will always feel like that, but im tellin ya its better leavin the party sounding loud and deep as fuck than people thinking someone's on a sewing machine

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:57 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... ok.

But it'll still be shit and just sound like a big fart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:04 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

" bought the shadow in the first place and that's to fool people that don't ride or don't know their bikes well into thinking its a full sized bike"

Really? Laughing

Your bike doesn't sound better, it sounds like a lawnmower with a dodgy homemade exhaust on it. Wink

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your gonna be buggered then when all you can get is electric bikes !! Roll on that day Thumbs Up

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics or it didn't happen.

I have stock exhausts but my engine makes plenty o sound.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does what it does and sounds like it sound ..
why be ashamed of a 125 ?
it gets you to work and back cheap ..
and why would you want to piss of your neighbours ?

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Honda MSX 125cc and it sounds like crap with an aftermarket exhaust, like a long drawn wet fart.
I put the standard can back on as the quietness of the standard can sounded so much better.

My R1 on the other hand sounds amazing with twin carbon fibre akrapovics!

what ever floats your boat mate!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: 125s sound like hairdryers....or do they? Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
its better leavin the party sounding loud and deep as fuck than people thinking someone's on a sewing machine

Some might say that it's better to leave on a bike that runs properly rather than one that chugs away on a poorly tuned exhaust system and runs like a bag of wheezy nails.

But, whatever floats your boat Thumbs Up Very Happy

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: 125s sound like hairdryers....or do they? Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
I built a set of straight pipes for my shadow 125. Number 1 reason why i did paralleled why I bought the shadow in the first place and that's to fool people that don't ride or don't know their bikes well into thinking its a full sized bike and hell, it works a treat.

at the end of the day a 125 will always feel like that, but im tellin ya its better leavin the party sounding loud and deep as fuck than people thinking someone's on a sewing machine

Quoted for posterity.

My bike sounds like a sewing machine but I don't feel inadequate or ashamed to be seen on it.
If all I could get was a Shadow, I wouldn't want to draw attention.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s 4t 125 twin, it sounds like shit regardless of your attempts to put dual-shorty-shotgun-slashcut drag pipes on it.

The only thing your bike is any good for is proving you belong to the Sons of Virginity, Loser chapter.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:55 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can appreciate a guy doing his own welding and work fettling a bike and making your own exhaust system, kudos to you for that (Y).

but its still a 125.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: 125s sound like hairdryers....or do they? Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:

My 125 is obnoxiously loud. however, if I could get a stock exhaust, I would get it in a heartbeat, as it has lost plenty of top end, no matter how much piss around with jetting, intake, airbox or not. I'd rather it ran as it should than sounded like a loud 125, because no 125 will ever be "deep as fuck".

If I want loud and deep, I use the VFR with a naughty can on it. The V4 sounds awesome with a nice can on the back. The 125 is just loud. No-one thinks it's cool apart from 17-19 year olds that aren't allowed anything bigger.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: 125s sound like hairdryers....or do they? Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:

No, it's better learning that it doesn't matter what the fuck other people think. You bought a bike for its looks to fool people into thinking it's bigger. You've played with the pipes to make people think it's bigger.

You're still going to be cacking yourself on the dual carriageway when you hit an uphill stretch and an artic is 2 foot from your arse.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's often down to daft large bore aftermarket exhausts why some/many 125's sound like long drawn out farts personally. Bore size is a thing, and stupid belly pan exit shorty megas sound worse of all. A long wet fart through a Marshall stack kind of bad.

I still think that every bike in the world needs a straight through exhaust and absorption silencing. No flow restrictions should always make the most power, and the quieter a factory exhaust is the more likely that there's extra power hiding away with a free flowing system.

A 125cc twin that Revs to 11-12000rpm should not sound very fart like at all if you get the exhaust system right IMO.

Std 125's exhausts maybe sound better than a huge fart cannon, but take a bike like a CG125 or CBF they have an annoying muted chuffing sound more like a steam train than a motorbike.

Anyway consider yourself lucky. A mate popped round mine and heard my 125's new exhaust, and then said 'it sounds like a right chicken chaser now'. I was more hoping for a 'that sounds just like a 1980's British MX GP start line' Neutral

Oh well, I best get back in the shed and re-build the top end then on my chicken chaser! Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
" bought the shadow in the first place and that's to fool people that don't ride or don't know their bikes well into thinking its a full sized bike"

Really? Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMiKyfd6hA0

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: 125s sound like hairdryers....or do they? Reply with quote

recman wrote:

My bike sounds like a sewing machine but I don't feel inadequate or ashamed to be seen on it.

A Street Triple?! What has gone wrong?
If it's on standard pipes, you really ought to bring some new instruments into the orchestra. They just sound great when everything comes on song together. It's half the reason I loved mine, adds so much to the character Very Happy

125s with loud pipes? Nothing more annoying. It's just noise for the sake of it, doesn't sound good at all, made all the worse because they linger within earshot for so much longer.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: 125s sound like hairdryers....or do they? Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
A Street Triple?! What has gone wrong?
If it's on standard pipes, you really ought to bring some new instruments into the orchestra. They just sound great when everything comes on song together. It's half the reason I loved mine, adds so much to the character Very Happy

I've been looking for something that isn't going to hack me off in terms of a constant drone on longer spins, that's when I appreciate my stocks.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: 125s sound like hairdryers....or do they? Reply with quote

recman wrote:

I've been looking for something that isn't going to hack me off in terms of a constant drone on longer spins, that's when I appreciate my stocks.

I can appreciate that. Mine was a short distance nut bike, so whenever I rode it, it meant I was in nut mode - if I wasn't, I soon would be Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:59 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that, realised it made the bike even slower and harder to start than it was before.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:45 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised, if we put up a poll, on how many here have bikes with standard cans, if more than 10% were 'Standard', its one of the most common mods to a motorcycle. I'd be even more surprised if we blagged a bB meter and tested bikes at almost any meet, if much more than 25% of them were legally 'quite'...

Actually a rather sad state of affairs when the ACU do just that, and the only ones that meet noise regs are the ones on the bloomin track!

As to spotty oiks making too much noise.... they are annoying..... and don't need a motorcycle to help them any IME....

By any chance did you manage to weld your shot-gun pipes to the out-put sprocket to a 20-thou accuracy by eye?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:18 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: 125s sound like hairdryers....or do they? Reply with quote

recman wrote:

High level Arrows. Not obnoxious. Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:41 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low level racing Akra - No cat and minus baffle. Mr. Green
Totally obnoxious and a fire risk. Laughing I'll worry about in when my bike needs its first MOT. Thumbs Up

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: 125s sound like hairdryers....or do they? Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
recman wrote:

High level Arrows. Not obnoxious. Thumbs Up

I've seen a set but it's missing a link pipe. Stealers say they don't order in separate parts for these systems, just sell the whole lot.
What do?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always think the Akras on the 990 sound horrible on tickover TBH. Out on the open road with some whhhaaaaaaaaaa on the throttle it's like God opened up a can o wupass and unleashed the thunder demons though, so I'll leave it be.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:53 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The popping of the strumpet on the overrun as you drop into a corner is a sound from heaven. It's not like it's a particularly loud exhaust.

Why would you want to leave the party when everyone is awake to hear you leave?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2