Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

German MZ ETZ's. Rebuilds?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tony12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: German MZ ETZ's. Rebuilds? Reply with quote

I had, when I was 16 a Simpson mz 51s comfort. For what it was, brilliant and easy to work on
I have been looking at the ETZ's, nowadays are hard to come by. This is a bit of a shot in the dark but I have seen some of the ETZ's as a twin pot 500cc variation. Any one have any idea where I might get one? I done some serches on google but only as some info on what available. And no info on who's making them.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:24 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you look for the ETZ300 or 301 models, as they are unsuitable for racing. As I recall the 500cc models were not twin pot, but rotax singles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: German MZ ETZ's. Rebuilds? Reply with quote

Tony12345 wrote:
I had, when I was 16 a Simpson mz 51s comfort. For what it was, brilliant and easy to work on

I had a Simson S51 Enduro. Indestructible, even in the hands of a 16 year old.

Over the years I've had occasional thoughts about getting an old MZ ... managed to resist, though. So far.

MZ Riders Club may be able to help:

https://www.mzridersclub.com/welcome/

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try the MZ riders club.

The Rotax engined MZ ETZ500s were pretty rare and yes they were single cylinder. The MZ Silver star 500 was even pretty to look at.

As for parts, MZ-B, old timers garage and ost2rad are on the web. I'm not sure if Burwins deals in mz spares any more.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:01 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of someone making a twin by keying the cranks of two TS250s together and mounting them in the frame in paralell. But that was a custom build.

They tried all sorts in those ETZ chassis though. Even a rotary.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: German MZ ETZ's. Rebuilds? Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

Over the years I've had occasional thoughts about getting an old MZ ...

I chose a Honda Superdream instead of an MZ ...... something tells me I should have chosen the MZ.
Always fancied a CZ 250 twin as well, mad I know??

This is my favourite YouTube video Thumbs Up
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uHbwubVx-bs

Tony12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info Very Happy.

This was the MZ 2 pot etz 500cc I was looking at :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUyMVp8lMWg

Also a bonus lol :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97rk068W4FY

looks like a 51 or 71 simpson modded with 3 pot`s and working at 153cc

Seems these "older" bike`s (1980`s to early 90`s) are either being built from new or old one`s getting "fixed up". There is plenty of these on the polish and some german websites, but finding it hard to get any info on how to get hold of one lol.

I would def have the 502cc still old retro looking but more "up-to-date" powerplant but with the looks like basic easy fixer uper Very Happy

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony12345 wrote:

I would def have the 502cc still old retro looking but more "up-to-date" powerplant but with the looks like basic easy fixer uper Very Happy

There are loads of them around and spares are plentiful, particularly for the ETZ models, just not in the UK. So practice your german and polish!

The MZ powerplant is actually fine, but they do benefit from a few tweaks to porting and lightening the clutch basket.

Ost2rad gets spannies for the ETZ motors in from time to time if you are feeling particularly brave.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:27 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony12345 wrote:

That bike is home-made. It's two ETZ engines joined together at the crank (they have a keyed taper on both ends of the crank which lends itself to being keyed together).

To get one you would either have to build it yourself or find someone to build one for you.

Tony12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Tony12345 wrote:

That bike is home-made. It's two ETZ engines joined together at the crank (they have a keyed taper on both ends of the crank which lends itself to being keyed together).

To get one you would either have to build it yourself or find someone to build one for you.

I found one close to me lol, not the same as in video its a 1995 MuZ / MZ Silver Star Classic 500 with the rotax engine.
Its affordable but no licence yet, still working on it, im doing it next year Sad.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:21 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the clutch stands up on that homebrew twin? I imagine it still has the standard engine speed clutch.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: German MZ ETZ's. Rebuilds? Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

Over the years I've had occasional thoughts about getting an old MZ ...

I chose a Honda Superdream instead of an MZ ...... something tells me I should have chosen the MZ.
Always fancied a CZ 250 twin as well, mad I know??

This is my favourite YouTube video Thumbs Up
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uHbwubVx-bs

Love my MZ. Also like that video! Shows a lot about riding abroad. More so, when you're on your own like me.

Rode to Turkey last year on my ETZ251. Got there in 4 days. Mixed roads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: German MZ ETZ's. Rebuilds? Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:

You know the drill, pics or it didn’t happen! Wink
Why Turkey??

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:28 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
I wonder how the clutch stands up on that homebrew twin? I imagine it still has the standard engine speed clutch.

From memory, the standard clutch is hugely over-engineered and is so heavy it acts like a secondary flywheel on the end of the crank.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:31 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to buy a 4t MZ, consider the 660 skorpion over a rotax engined ETZ which is a bit of a mongrel in anyones book. The skorpion is a handly little roadster and very well put together. It's based on a Yamaha motor but assembled in Germany.

I had one of their enormous supermotos with the same engine, it was a great bike.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: German MZ ETZ's. Rebuilds? Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Blurredman wrote:

You know the drill, pics or it didn’t happen! Wink
Why Turkey??

Why not? Cool I don't have any pictures of the bike below monuments or anything. but this is a picture I took on the road from Alba Lulia to Piatra Neamts in Rumania, which goes over the mountains a few times. It was so nice, that after spending the night at Piatra Neamt, I rode back to Alba Lulia the next day. Laughing

Picture was taken with a Potato.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: German MZ ETZ's. Rebuilds? Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:

Why not? Cool I but this is a picture I took on the road

Picture was taken with a Potato.

Top man Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

You know you have to do a write up now Thumbs Up
Tell me, how did the bike stand up to the journey, any issues?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1