Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Under layer for touring...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr A
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:41 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Under layer for touring... Reply with quote

Morning all,
looking for some advice please, regarding under layers.

I will be riding down to Italy from France, mid September, and I will be wearing a pair of Spada Metro trousers, witch are still a bit sweaty even without the quilted layer on a hot day.

Anybody uses under layers? Would you recommended, or are just a wast of time?

I have seen some one piece advertised to go under a leather suit...on motorbike websites
Or maybe I can get away with some cheaper cyclist/running clothes?...

Thought and advices much appreciated
Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what weather you actually get. In 2016, I rode down to Italy through Belgium and France, and all we got was rain, rain, rain, not very warm.

Last year I did two tours, one in very hot weather in Spain and couldn't bear to wear more than ordinary jeans - which I know most people don't like the idea of doing - and it was still too hot. My jacket was pretty good otoh. Liners removed, it has sizeable mesh panels, and is quite light. Still too much really, but with temperatures as they were, I'd have got too exhausted to do any riding with anything more substantial on. In those temperatures, I don't think even under layers using the most advanced wicking and cooling materials would have helped - probably would just have made matters worse. I did have just light synthetic t-shirts, quick-drying under the jacket though, which was some help. At least they dried quickly in any slight breeze if I did get a bit sweaty, so I felt a little more comfortable for that.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:59 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WIcking base layers will help them stop sticking you your legs but adding any layer will tend to increase thermal effectiveness.

I'd personally go for a merino wool base layer every time. It wicks moisture away from your skin superbly and doesn't stink after being worn. It can also be rinsed out in the evening, wrung out and will be dry enough to wear by the next day in hot conditions.

It's what I wear under my leathers.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Rab merino/cocono top (stupid expensive) which is super-light, even more comfortable than pure merino, long-sleeve, and I still couldn't have faced wearing it in Spain last year, with temperatures up to 40C. And I'm generally an advocate of merino base layers.
Maybe it would have been better if it was short sleeved, but even so, I found myself preferring the synthetic t-shirts. They're not bulky either, and you can easily give them a quick wash in a hotel sink - in those temperatures they'll be dry again in minutes.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:58 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Chickenstrip, when temperatures get stupidly hot there's very little that makes a great deal of difference. Me and the wife used to wear slightly off white "rev-it" suits that had plenty of vents. We wore Nike sports shirts underneath and that was as good as it ever got but still very debilitating in temperatures close to 40c. Currently got predominantly black suits which are very hard work in high temps.

Mr A
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:53 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Depends on what weather you actually get. In 2016, I rode down to Italy through Belgium and France, and all we got was rain, rain, rain, not very warm.

Last year I did two tours, one in very hot weather in Spain and couldn't bear to wear more than ordinary jeans - which I know most people don't like the idea of doing - and it was still too hot. My jacket was pretty good otoh. Liners removed, it has sizeable mesh panels, and is quite light. Still too much really, but with temperatures as they were, I'd have got too exhausted to do any riding with anything more substantial on. In those temperatures, I don't think even under layers using the most advanced wicking and cooling materials would have helped - probably would just have made matters worse. I did have just light synthetic t-shirts, quick-drying under the jacket though, which was some help. At least they dried quickly in any slight breeze if I did get a bit sweaty, so I felt a little more comfortable for that.

Thanks Chickenstrip.
Accuweather forcast is under 30c in France and Italy, for mid Sept. but that is about to change as often as I change my underwear Smile...I have hear about merino, but I think is a bit pricey.

I'm off to decathlon, to see if I find some "cheap" under layer. Running or cycling leggings, and synthetic T-shirts maybe...

Mr A
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:56 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
WIcking base layers will help them stop sticking you your legs but adding any layer will tend to increase thermal effectiveness.

I'd personally go for a merino wool base layer every time. It wicks moisture away from your skin superbly and doesn't stink after being worn. It can also be rinsed out in the evening, wrung out and will be dry enough to wear by the next day in hot conditions.

It's what I wear under my leathers.

Thanks Stinkwheel,
I'll have a look at merino wool as well, but I guess running/cycling leggings would be cheaper Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr A wrote:

I'm off to decathlon, to see if I find some "cheap" under layer. Running or cycling leggings, and synthetic T-shirts maybe...

Look for the lightest porous-type materials you can find - I think possibly Coolmax type? You can get cheap ones if you look in the right places.
Again, I have some super-light Rab ones - I have never seen anything lighter, and they are great - I use them to work out in too, but originally bought them for summer hill-walking. But again, stupid expensive Sad

For me, they have been worth it though.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

similar to others... got some wicking polyester shirts for under leathers for sunny german tour this summer. they looked identical to the underarmour ones apart from missing the logo and were about £7 on amazon.

worked well, didn't feel vile in my leathers. and as mentioned with merino wool, can give a good wash in the sink at the end of the day and they will be dry enough to wear in a few hours.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:59 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go, cheap and it works
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Webtex+base+layer&_sacat=0

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought several sets of these thermal tops.I did find that the wrists were too tight and preferring a T shirt type I chopped the forearms off and Mrs.Fizzer sewed up the edges on her sewing machine.In the 38c heat of the Dolomite Alps and the south of France last year these tops were ideal under my enduro jacket Thumbs Up Cool Thumbs Up

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Workwear+%26+Safety/d70/Thermal+Base+Layers/sd3336/Thermal+Base+Layer/p11814

Always have a 'Plan B'

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 26 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icebreaker Merino.

Jetlag Jon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:48 - 27 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldi are doing Crane merino wool under-layers at the moment. Cheap, very comfortable and they work.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:59 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a beka coolwear onesie that's not particularly better than cheap sportshop wicking (coolmax) or thermal layers.

Raid Aldi and Lidl for cycling kit, sports direct too. I have a few thermal longsleeves and leggins. Some merino wool baselayers but they can be itchey. I very much like the cycling jersey I got from Aldi with a windproof front panel.

Also a few cheap microfleece pulllovers, these I sometimes haveto shorten so they fit under my jacket properly. It's all separately washable and dryable. I avoid using the zip-in liners that came with my bike kit when on long trips as it takes too long to swap in/out to get comfortable. Lots of layers, swap as needed.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS....

This was posted by a Joined and Scarpered in August.

And he's flogging his used under garments on here now. Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:56 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
used under garments

There's a surprisingly lucrative market for used under garments.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 120 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1