Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mirroring a PC to TV

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 14:06 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Mirroring a PC to TV Reply with quote

The mrs has a TV in her bedroom and PC connected to living room TV.

We want to try and mirror the PC in the living room to the TV in the bedroom but be able to control it too.

Chromecast was the first port of call (with a wireless keyboard an mouse which can move between rooms) but seem to be having connectivity issues and it's quite laggy anyway. I believe I can hardwire the Chromecast with an ethernet extension you can buy from Google for £15. Not ideal as would have to run a 10ft ethernet to the router but better than running a 30ft HDMI to the living room.

Anyone know of a nice lag free way other than running giant cables?

Wireless HDMI senders? (never used them)

Some other device?

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stick with the philosophy of
"for best results use a cable"

What's on the PC? Can you not install a second PC? maybe not the cheapest option but might resolve some issues, it depends on what you are doing.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 16:55 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PC is just normal internet use... social media, streaming, etc. Sure I can plug a Firestick in or another PC but that's not the question Laughing

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raspberry Pi and stream the PC desktop into it. I highly recommend using ethernet for this and stick to 1080p (max). It is fiddly, but you're getting 4 USB ports and HDMI right next to your Tv.

Google the ''how to'' tutorial.

The easiest way is as t121anf says, though. HDMI cable + a USB hub (preferably powered).

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought a few powerline adapters which are handy for various stuff.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All our downloads are on the front room pc so we do a very similar thing to what you're after.

I created a shared folder system on the pc and play things via the home router using a separate device in the bedroom, in the past I had a first gen mac mini mounted on the back of the TV which worked fine and was a nice permanent solution. We used a wireless keyboard and mouse for proper laziness. An extra benefit was the ability to stream from online using the mac if we wanted to. It was also virtually invisible and once set up just did it's thing.

Post house-fire I never replaced the mac, so these days we just plug a laptop in for the same effect. It's a bit more faff to set up every time, but then the living room is way nicer than it used to be, so it's pretty rare that we turn the telly on in the bedroom at all.

File sharing between pc and mac was a tad tricky to set up, but not more than quarter of an hour fiddling. It'd be much less now I know what to do.

Streaming at 1080 over wi-fi has been fine. The pc to router connection is wired, but I have done laptop to mac mini all over wi-fi and that was also ok at the time.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 03:34 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my place, everything is wired using home plugs, servers, NAS and Plex which pipe around the house to different devices at 4K but at significant cost with the hardware and devices I'm using here whereas it will be 1080p at her place max (for now).

I have added a WiFi range extender since posting this, everything worked great except the Chromecast would not connect to it and I haven't been back there since to test a few other things out.

I have since ordered an ethernet / wired solution for the Chromecast from the Google store and that arrives this week. Want to try cabling it in and remove the WiFi extender and bring it to my place where it would be more helpful.

Failing this, I wouldn't mind messing with a Pi as Rhyno said, as I have not used one yet. This is more a little experiment to see if this can be done rather than just plugging in another streaming device or PC. I'm curious how far this has come along seeing as though the PC is the size of my palm which I bought for her living room.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:51 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very first go at the shared drive thingy used a pi running Linux Mint in the bedroom, it was years back now but from memory I think the hardwear struggled to keep up with what I was asking of it.

That said, it would have been an early generation pi so maybe newer ones would be man enough. Also there's probably other ways of doing it with a pi without running an OS with a flashy looking gui, but as above I wanted the ability to stream directly from the web and to brows the internet too.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

raspberry pi connected to TV, running RDP client. Remmina is one such client that springs to mind.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article pretty much covers it:
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/laptop/connect-laptop-tv-3280787/
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

These work well if you power them properly, the usb port on some tv's doesn't give it enough juice for a reliable connection unless you give it more than 1500 mA.

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-gb/products/adapters/microsoft-wireless-display-adapter/cg4-00003

Once given the correct usb power it is stable for me on Win10 in the same room.

However, the distance it works will depend on attenuation due to wall thickness, source signal strength etc, they say up to 23ft

I've just tested downstairs with a laptop, and a 1080p vid plays upstairs on a tv no probs. Thumbs Up

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 22:29 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
These work well if you power them properly, the usb port on some tv's doesn't give it enough juice for a reliable connection unless you give it more than 1500 mA.

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-gb/products/adapters/microsoft-wireless-display-adapter/cg4-00003

Once given the correct usb power it is stable for me on Win10 in the same room.

However, the distance it works will depend on attenuation due to wall thickness, source signal strength etc, they say up to 23ft

I've just tested downstairs with a laptop, and a 1080p vid plays upstairs on a tv no probs. Thumbs Up

Cheers mate. I had looked at these on Amazon and saw several people saying they are no good for video?

I have the wired adapter for the Chromecast and some CAT cabling, so see how it gets on when I go back the mrs place tomorrow.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
everything is wired using home plugs, servers, NAS and Plex which pipe around the house to different devices at 4K

What type of cables are you using to send 4k signals?

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFhx8Zy95IY

May be of interest
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 01:28 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Jayy wrote:
everything is wired using home plugs, servers, NAS and Plex which pipe around the house to different devices at 4K

What type of cables are you using to send 4k signals?

Server > Projector = Fibre Optic HDMI @ 18gb/s
Xbox One X > Projector = Same as ^^

Server > Roku = TP Link 2gb/s home plugs + CAT6a cables
Server > Nvidia Shield = Same as ^^

Server is an i7 with 8gb of RAM.

Granted, some 4K encodes are ridiculously high bitrates and will bring the home plug setup grindinga little but I'm talking about 200gb files here with huge variable bitrates.

The likes of Netflix being massively compressed are far different. I mostly do everything on the projector via fibre optic, it's the best way and over the distance of 10m, it's the only reliable way to ensure 60fps too.

If I could, I would wire everything with fibre optic but it costs a fortune and reaching the Roku / Shield at over 25m away, it would cost nearly a grand in fibre cables.

If I want the best quality with no compromise, then I'd whack a 4K HDR disc in to the One X and watch on the projector... every time. Even Plex appears to do some transcoding after supposedly turning everything off.

As I say, not expense I want replicate at the GF's house in devices or networking / cabling when the only resolution she's arsed about is New Years ones Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1