Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Petrol or Diesel Car?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Petrol or Diesel Car? Reply with quote

I'm looking at upgrading the Fabia 1.9TDI VRs to something a little more modern. The car I'm looking at buying is a 2010 BMW 120d as as I've enjoyed the fuel efficiency of my current diesel. However after the new MOT laws have been issued which seem to be driving diesels off the roads, I'm considering a petrol 125i instead.

My drive to work is just over a mile each way, so this is also likely to kill the DPF of the 120d.

I've done less than 20k miles over the past two years (8k per year), but I do a 250 mile round trip every 2 weeks so the efficiency would be nice and this would give it a chance to regen the DPF?.

Diesel pros:
-£120 tax
-50mpg achievable
-more diesel cars to choose from so roughly same price as petrol

Diesel cons:
-expensive to maintain
-DPF and short journeys is a big no no?

Petrol pros:
-better to drive?
-easy to maintain
-no DPF

Anything else I should be considering?

Last edited by DRZ4Hunned on 19:05 - 22 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:43 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol or gtfo.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol. Thumbs Up

Petrol engines are smoother, quieter, more enjoyable to drive and way easier to start (winter), also petrol evaporates = no greasy pump nozzles at your local fuel station. But, it's mainly the drive comfort for me. Life is too short, enjoy what you do or don't do it at all.

And the DPF is yet to come to petrol engines.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously walk or cycle to work if you can carry the stuff you need, or else buy a nasty old city car beater (will be a petrol) if you have to carry tools etc.

Save cash and buy a nice weekend or distance car if you can then justify it?

Oh and what's all this another std BCF response about Petrol=good to drive and Diesel= shit to drive? Are you all gonna call that out irrespective of make, model engine version and transmission? Do you want to add an '' All automatics are totally shit, and all manual cars across every size and type are fucking awesome?" Rolling Eyes

There's good and bad to drive cars, and fun to drive and non fun to drive cars in all fuel types, and all transmission types too.If BCF blanket believes in the above paragraph then I can't believe the shit I'm reading. Its exactly like a 25year old heard down the pub a few times Teflon Mike response. Thought we could do better than that? Or is it that all BCF'ers are because into bikes only ever going to be happy with the most fastest car only?

Similar bollocks was written in a previous thread about mk1 Ford Focus's. It boiled down to the only engined variant that anyone on this forum could possibly recommend was the 2.0 petrol. All said like the Focus was an amazing car and with this rare engine it was like some amazing car. But don't ever buy one at your peril with a 1.4 or 1.6L engine as it's guaranteed to be the biggest load of shit you'll ever see. Fucking lol!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I stated I did less than 10k over the last 2 years, I meant each year so roughly 8k per year, still not really the amount to justify a diesel.

I actually don't mind how diesels drive, plenty of low down torque. Laughing

The consensus seems to be get a petrol? I guess I'll keep looking for a petrol then, there's 3 times as many diesel 120d's as there are 125i's on auto trader, so may be harder to find a decent one!

I tried cycling to work, but in winter you get piss wet through and I can't be arsed showering at work. Summer you get sweaty and need a shower too. Thumbs Down

What is considered high milage on a petrol 125i nowadays? For diesels I always looked at ones at roughly 100k miles, but no idea what the equivalent would be on a petrol?

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for commuting to work another way and getting something nice for the longer trips, preferably diesel.

From the sounds of it though you're getting a new car just so it's newer and it's more for the sake of fancyness rather than needing one?
In this case you should get whatever you like the most, whether it's ideal or not.

I'm not trying to be a dick but get whatever ticks the boxes you want.

Personally I'd find a different way of commuting if it's just a mile, I won't even ride my motorbike or any car for that, it wouldn't get up to a good temperature.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching from a 10 to a 1 mile commute I found my old er6 really suffered. It needed much more regular maintenance and seemed to corrode more. I imagine a car would be the same. I walk it mostly now, and use a cg125 when the weather sucks. It's much happier than the 650 was.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ain't gonna preach on, but I walk 1500m to work, and it takes just over 15min. I don't work in an office though so don't need to worry about being suited and having showers at work etc. Tbh 2miles of walking a day and that time to switch off before and after my shifts does alot to keep me sane too!

It'd take what 5min maybe 10min up a steep hill to cycle that distance and it's sure as hell not going to fuck up your push bike in the same way as it would a cold ICE. I'd be expecting to half or treble my car oil changes if doing that sort of distance and it's definitely no better for a petrol engine than a diesel either! In fact you'd probably get through spark plugs, sensors, catalytic converters and exhausts far quicker too. The DPF is the only thing to really take a hammering on a Derv by comparison.

With the fuel saving you'll make walking to work, it'll pay to run a nice BMW 3.0 or something as your only car instead. Or a big bigger more powerful diesel like a 335d etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:37 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only type of car suitable for a 1 mile commute is an electric one, or a PHEV running in electric-only mode. No engine will be anything close to warmed-up in a mile. Walk, cycle, scooter (the kick-along type), whatever.

For the longer journeys, with a 8k/yr mileage, petrol is the one. Now, why do you think that diesels are more easily found than petrols? VW-gate has dented the appeal of diesels, along with a growing awareness of DPF issues and AdBlue inconvenience.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:22 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift Sport, try one. 1.6 petrol, no turbo, no dpf (obviously) just a super reliable well specced short hopper.
I had a Fabia vRS a few cars ago and the Swift would run rings around it on any kind of twisty road. They have
been around since 2007 so there are examples to suit most budgets. That said, I'd quickly just get used to walking
to work if it was a mile away. I walk the dog at least 5 miles a day, a mile twice a day is nothing.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 1 mile commute, I'd walk too. It's 15 minutes, a no brainer.

Then for a car, for the mileage you do I doubt you'd see any benefit of buying the more expensive diesel for the higher MPG figures.

Buy what you want Thumbs Up

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:44 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engines dont really wear out nowadays, cars do, so dont worry about the comparable mileage, the suspension on an E87 will cost you more than an engine ever will. (My partner has one and I have an E90...)

For that reason, I'd buy the E90 325 or 330 for preference, side by side it's just a MUCH better car.

All that said, I wouldnt use mine for one mile trips, mine gets 30 miles or nothing and at that, servicing etc is sensible

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might reconsider my commute then, I could leave some clothes at work so and it's mostly downhill so wouldn't be too sweaty Laughing

Then I could get a diesel for my fortnightly 250 mile round trip. Thumbs Up Suzuki swift sport looks like fun! Not a fan of the 3 series, they look a bit barge like, comfy I'm sure but don't look very sporty and I would assume more expensive.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
I might reconsider my commute then, I could leave some clothes at work so and it's mostly downhill so wouldn't be too sweaty Laughing

Then I could get a diesel for my fortnightly 250 mile round trip. Thumbs Up Suzuki swift sport looks like fun! Not a fan of the 3 series, they look a bit barge like, comfy I'm sure but don't look very sporty and I would assume more expensive.

But you still don't need a diesel for your 500 miles a month on a motorway... Can you not walk the mile? Why even cycle? And still, a mile on a bike you'll have hardly got yourself warm.

I commute 250 miles a week. I've done the commute on/in: a ZZR600, a Suzuki Ignis Sport (the swift sport before the swift sport), Suzuki SX4 (with a turbo'd M15) - that one isn't friendly on the wallet - VPower and not great mpg, and now the ZZR1100.

Out of those only the SX4 hurt/s my wallet. That's 200 a month in petrol at my mileage, i.e. 1000 miles a month.

If you walked to work, and had a car that only did 25 mpg, the likes of an RX8 or something, you're fuel bill would be <100 quid a month for your motorway trips.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:50 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave office shoes in the office, carry your jacket / trousers in a suit carrier. Walk in summer in shorts and flip flops, change in the office for the one week in the year the sweat is significant.

In winter get a decent outdoor anorak and a hand towel in your bag to dry your face up at work. Then dont bother with a brolly

Top tip always have a dry pair of socks with your office shoes.

The money you save on buying and running the car treat yourself to decent walking shoes and a gucci rain jacket.

Witb a 15 min commute im afraid that's as mucb sympathy as i can give, id love that sort of distance and not fucking around with trains/traffic

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
But you still don't need a diesel for your 500 miles a month on a motorway... Can you not walk the mile? Why even cycle? And still, a mile on a bike you'll have hardly got yourself warm.

I commute 250 miles a week. I've done the commute on/in: a ZZR600, a Suzuki Ignis Sport (the swift sport before the swift sport), Suzuki SX4 (with a turbo'd M15) - that one isn't friendly on the wallet - VPower and not great mpg, and now the ZZR1100.

Out of those only the SX4 hurt/s my wallet. That's 200 a month in petrol at my mileage, i.e. 1000 miles a month.

If you walked to work, and had a car that only did 25 mpg, the likes of an RX8 or something, you're fuel bill would be <100 quid a month for your motorway trips.

Just double checked the exact distance to work, it's 1.9 miles and would apparently take 38 mins to walk according to Google. Cba walking 38 mins each way every day, but cycling is only 10/15 mins so about the same as the car which is fine and would keep me fit(er). Don't really see the point in getting a petrol if I'm only going to use it for long motorway journeys in this case even if the fuel cost is not much, it could be less. I often have to carry shopping on the way back from work and football stuff so that 2 days a week I'd need to drive. Plenty to think about Thumbs Up

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.9 miles is not getting the oil hot enough so it won't get chance to evaporate any condensation that builds up, the oil would need to be changed more frequently or else sludging could occur.

Electric pushbike for that distance could be fun, probably faster than the car, or 2 smoke mophead, as you can get quite a bit of shopping under the seat.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
1.9 miles is not getting the oil hot enough so it won't get chance to evaporate any condensation that builds up, the oil would need to be changed more frequently or else sludging could occur.

Bingo. This also applies to fuel dilution, which can accumulate if the engine never gets warm. Plus the main antiwear additive in engine oil doesn’t really start working properly until around 60°C, so you’ll be running the engine continually in a ‘warm-up’ mode which is when most of the wear happens.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:10 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
or 2 smoke mophead, as you can get quite a bit of shopping under the seat.

WOW, so many posts on a motorbike forum.... And your the 1st to mention using a m/bike.... Laughing

No wonder there is a massive 12 page thread about this forum dieing Rolling Eyes

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with choosing a diesel for your 500miles a week non commute if it's long distances at motorway speeds etc.

Petrol/Diesel it's just personal preference really, as long as your not doing short cold or very slow journeys.

I think what people are getting at is that diesel mpg will not outweigh the higher costs of your servicing etc. But fuck that it's a short life and you should own and drive the car you want not the one that saves you £20 a month.

I've known people with tuned TDIs that use them as show cars, track day cars, RWYB racing etc. The costs of servicing won't matter to them as they'll be doing much more frequent services than the manufacturer recommended for a bone stock car, and it's off set by the low annual mileage they do.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mile? Walk or use a bike, basically, take it out of the equation in your decision.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

WOW, so many posts on a motorbike forum.... And your the 1st to mention using a m/bike.... Laughing

No wonder there is a massive 12 page thread about this forum dieing Rolling Eyes

Probably because most motorbikes also suffer with such short journeys? The posts above outlining th issues for a car equally apply to motorbikes.

As for diesel Vs petrol - buy what you want. At the annual milage you're doing you won't save much if anything with a diesel, so buy what you prefer.

Last edited by kgm on 08:43 - 24 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel MPG is shocking whilst the engine is cold, barely going to warm up in a mile...
That being said I would still suggest the Diesel for the long motorway journey and get a push bike for the mile or so to work. I'm riding > 10 miles each way myself (albeit not all year round of course)... That and I prefer diesel because I'm to lazy to use a clutch in traffic and to cheap for an auto Laughing

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

kgm wrote:
iooi wrote:

Probably because most motorbikes also suffer with such short journeys? The posts above outlining th issues for a car equally apply to motorbikes.

As for diesel Vs petrol - buy what you want. At the annual milage you're doing you won't save much if anything with a diesel, so buy what you prefer.

I said 2 stroke as there'll be no sludge issue - plus small engines warm up faster. A 50-125cc mophead was practically built for this, you'd be suicidal after 2 miles Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2