Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Petrol or Diesel Car?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Petrol or Diesel Car? Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
I'm looking at upgrading the Fabia 1.9TDI VRs to something a little more modern. The car I'm looking at buying is a 2010 BMW 120d as as I've enjoyed the fuel efficiency of my current diesel. However after the new MOT laws have been issued which seem to be driving diesels off the roads, I'm considering a petrol 125i instead.

My drive to work is just over a mile each way, so this is also likely to kill the DPF of the 120d.

I've done less than 20k miles over the past two years (8k per year), but I do a 250 mile round trip every 2 weeks so the efficiency would be nice and this would give it a chance to regen the DPF?.

You are spot on with the new MOT regs and they are going to get tighter.

Already we are seeing well maintained, low mileage vehicles struggling to get through the emissions tests, even those that are compliant with the new London ULEZ; there is no question in my mind, the diesel car is set to be outlawed, either subtly by ever more stringent regulation, or more heavy handedly, perhaps with big jumps in fuel duty.

As for regens, BMWs (and others) have a nice little party trick up their sleeves - if any engine fault code is present, either live or a stored momentary glitch, auto regens will not take place and the first you know about it, is when the DPF blocks and you're stuck in limp mode and staring down the barrel of a big bill for rectification.

Frankly, I wouldn't have a diesel as a present now; values are dropping as people desperately try to offload them, before it's too late and you can't give them away.

I think I said on here that the diesel market would be dead in 5 years - that was 2 years ago and I stand by what I said, if you buy one now, in 3 years it will be scrap value, if you're lucky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2