Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice required

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tank63
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:44 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Advice required Reply with quote

My first post to this group.

I passed my CBT 16 yrs ago but never got around to getting myself a bike. Now I’m 55 and want a bike, finally having funds to get one. Question is do I go for a 250 or a bigger bike. I’m 6ft and 21stone fat git. Looking for advice.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might as well get your full motorcycle licence.

As the choice for 250cc motorcycles is fairly limited.

Off my head I can only think of a few:

CB250
CBF250
XT225
GT250

While a full motorbike licence gives you a much bigger choice. Plus if you find your 1000cc or 600 or 500 cc bike too much nothing stops you from going down to a 250 or a 300cc motorbike.

While if you just have the light motorbike category you have to take a whole extra test to get be allowed to ride anything above this category.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a bigger bike fatty!

Seriously, after doing your tests and finally passing, a 250 is gonna struggle.
I’m over 6’ and weigh 17&1/2 stone, I love my 250’s , I have three.
However I am under no illusion that my size is an issue for a 250.

Whatever you do, make sure you get back into bikes Thumbs Up
Good luck with your tests.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

Tank63 wrote:

I passed my CBT 16 yrs ago but never got around to getting myself a bike. Now I’m 55 and want a bike, finally having funds to get one. Question is do I go for a 250 or a bigger bike. I’m 6ft and 21stone fat git. Looking for advice.

Just to be clear ... the CBT only lasts 2 years, and it only allows you to ride bikes up to 125cc.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:36 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your full license.

Once you've done DAS then you'll have some experience of riding probably 500cc bikes, you'll know what you did and didn't like about the bike and from there BCF will be able to suggest what bikes to consider. Thumbs Up

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book DAS, get a full licence then you can ride whatever sized bike you want to rather than limiting yourself to a 125 that you could ride on a CBT.

You will need to do four things (presuming you have a bike provisional entitlement on your licence already). Your CBT training, theory test and hazard perception, Mod 1 and Mod 2.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:22 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well CBT is only valid for two years, so lets forget that you did one over a decade and a half ago.. you'll need a new one to ride anything.

Next CBT is the first lesson, 'Compulsary-Basic-Training.... it validates your provisional entitlement, it is NOT a licence... lets you ride a 125 on L's....

If 55, you would have been, err.. mental maths... born, 1963?... you might just have eeked a 250 on L's when you were a teenager... for a few months... but Learner-Laws haven't let any-one ride a 250 on L's since 1982!!! And you SHOULD know this!

This probably makes the 250 question rather redundant... but, get licence, get whatever bike you like.

A little bike is no safer than a bigger one just cos it has a smaller fire hole in its engine. Myioic idiots in cars dont look full stop... let alone look and think "ah? Look at dee cutesey liddue moty-bike! I better let him grow up before I kill him." Like a hunter looking down the barel of a shot-gun at a baby rabbit!

And 125's can go as fast as any other vehicle is legally allowed to go in this country; kerb stones, trees and Mac trucks are just as hard, you just cant be quite as stupid so fast as on a bigger bike that might go faster.... but, you can still be very very stoooopid on one! (I know I am!)

The danger is the padlock in the saddle, not the bike... you choose daft bike to ride daftly, you gonna do daft stuff; you buy sensible bike to ride sensibly... you probably wont be so daft.....

And now whole gambit is wide open; and cc STILL means bugger all except to a few ego's....

There are 1200cc+ cruisers out there that make as little peak power as a typical commuter twin half the cc. The style, the charecter, and the nature of the machine are what makes one more of less suitable to any particular purpose; and even weight isn't significantly influenced, let alone proportional to cc.... most stuff tends to weight around 400lb these days; and there's 125's that pork that heavy, and liter bikes that ballerina in lighter.

Tell learners the same thing time after time..... The BIKE is the last thing on the list you need worry about; the LICENCE really is the first.

Sort that; and if you have been say in a box for the last thirty plus years, done presume you know anything particularly 'useful' about riding bikes, they is NOT cars; and whatever transferable skills you take to lessons, you will take as many errant misconceptions..... so start with lessons, and a completely open mind, and go get a licence....

THEN, a bit more clues up, what bike might be a more pertinent question, and you will probably be able to answer it for yourself.... 'cos we cant!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef - If if I get my mate to let you hold a clipboard while he does CBT's, will you STFU for a while and not Tef newbies straight away? You'll have to promise to hand the clipboard back before you have a happywank about it though.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:58 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate was 22 stone until he lost 7 stone going to Slimming world, made his bike a lot faster.

Tank63
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:18 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice

Ilikemyspleen
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:09 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
My mate was 22 stone until he lost 7 stone going to Slimming world, made his bike a lot faster.

dat long term mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

turningCircle
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:20 - 30 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

Tank63 wrote:

At that weight, I believe you automatically qualify as a certified Harley rider. Get out, buy yourself a leather jacket and ride around with a face like a smacked arse. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1