Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dealing with a spot of rust

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

CornishDes
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:21 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Dealing with a spot of rust Reply with quote

Hi all, picked up an XR125 as a bit of a winter hack today and while it runs sweetly, it's a tad rustier than it looked in the photo's. Think it's all superficial but the swingarm is a bit more so. It will be treated to some ACF50 but in the first instance do I need to get in there with a wire brush, steel wool and some rust remover? Any advice welcome. Thanks, Dave

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4872/45832489531_4587cb9665_k.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you’re going to have to start unbolting bits before you can get to the worst Sad

I used a length of dowling with a small bit of Emery cloth/wet & dry on the end to get to the tight corners and those hard to get to places.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:03 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can either spend hours working on removing as much rust as possible and then painting the cleaned up metal.

Or you can cover it in ACF50 and then forget all about it as it gets hidden by a protective layer of road dirt /grime / filth. Wink

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Dealing with a spot of rust Reply with quote

CornishDes wrote:
Hi all, picked up an XR125 as a bit of a winter hack today and while it runs sweetly, it's a tad rustier than it looked in the photo's. Think it's all superficial but the swingarm is a bit more so. It will be treated to some ACF50 but in the first instance do I need to get in there with a wire brush, steel wool and some rust remover? Any advice welcome. Thanks, Dave

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4872/45832489531_4587cb9665_k.jpg

remove the shit covering it ..get in there quick sand repaint cover in afc50 grease great for winter ..

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:13 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

just glob a shit load of grease all over the rust.

proper way is to take swingarm off and have shotblasted and treated and powdercoated

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above but I'm surprised it doesn't have a sheet of tough plastic between it and the wheel to stop this type of thing?
It mostly looks superficial (for now) but personally I'd be more concerned about that rear shock and linkages - they're in the firing line of crud being thrown about by the rear wheel.

CornishDes
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:22 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered some jenolite and will put a bit of elbow grease in and see how things clear up before treating with grease/ACF50 and/or getting some fresh paint in places.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenolite as with most "rust removers/preventers" are shit & pretty pointless to be honest as they're acid based & require cleaning off with water in order to neutralize the surface before it can be painted over. Unfortunately once rust has got in it's unlikely you'll ever get rid of it. Shotblasting it & powder coating would be the way to go.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wire Brush and Detol.

You need to get clear and unobstructed access to the rusted areas.
The rust will be 'invisibly' working it's kind of magic under any paint or between fitted parts.
Rust converters work.
Rust removers work.
Protecting sound surfaces works.
Bad preparation is not related to the above points.

Your machine has contracted Oxidation and electrolysis.
The prevention is/was easier than the cure.

You could slather it in acf50 and batter on regardless or deal with it in a more aggressive manner.

If you are in love then it will be a big undertaking, if it's just a brief and lustful fling over the darker months of winter then spray away.

Remember to not spray the brakes/breaks, the seat, the pegs, the grips, the ends of the levers where your hands will be.

CornishDes
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:59 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MCN. I'm going to try the hard route but will no doubt reach a 'that'll do' point. Keen to post back on here so that should give me some motivation too.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:14 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only takes 20 minutes to remove the swingarm. Do the job right.

While you have it apart, you can clean and re-grease the swingarm pivot points and the suspension linkage.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1